UPDATE: Capsules.io Explained

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
b87fe7fb4f28b14be462393b73d86cfa_large.png

Earlier today we announced an exciting new project from developer "wugfresh" and the Capusules.io team. This ambitious new project is being crowdfunded on Kickstarter. It seeks to bring a digital experience to the physical world. The kickstarter page paints a pretty exciting picture for the future of this new project. After speaking with "Wugfresh" for a bit I decided it would be a good idea to share with you what he had to say. In many of the pictures you can see a physical orb floating in mid air. People walk up to the orb and it unlocks digital content, but how could something like this work? It seems like something out of a futuristic blockbuster!

d850cf1ec0d644ab930693e9e32b5e48_large.png

If you wanted to leave a capsule for your friends or family to open you would navigate to the physical location and tag it. You could then add the content that you would want to share and choose who can unlock the capsule. Your friend would be notified any time they are near the physically tagged location they could then unlock the capsule and view the content. This could be accessed from a phone or tablet, or if you have Google glass you could literally see an Augmented Reality capsule floating around which you could walk up to and unlock!

17f5d3e502ea91fd9792df1fa1da190a_large.png

The applications for this are endless. This would be the perfect way to advertise your product in a fun and interactive way. One example that wugfresh suggested was a Surfboard shop dropping a capsule on the beach. They could set the capsule to make it accessible to the general public. Anyone who walked near the capsule could unlock a discount on a new surf board. For promotional purposes a business could drop a capsule in an unknown location and announce over the radio or twitter "The first person to find the capsule in central park gets a free Iphone". Musicians could leave a capsule at a venue anyone attending a concert would get exclusive access to content. Capsules can be set to expire, and once you find a capsule you can "star" it making it accessible from any location.

39748079b5e1b746bd719bdaf464007b_large.png

There are also future plans to create an entire virtual world. This will be the first truly user generated platform for augmented reality. This can all be accomplished with the pocket hardware tools of today. The CEO William Koch has plans to release a developer API to the community with the tools needed to expand the platform. This will pave the way for games and other special applications to be used within this virtual platform. After speaking with William Koch it is evident that the team has already done a lot of the heavy lifting. Their prototype has most of the core functionality implemented, however is essential that they raise funds to get the platform production ready. Your contributions would go to fund more developers, storage cost, and porting to all platforms. The kickstarter is currently at $2180, but needs to be at $60,000 within the next 28 days. Head to the kickstarter page below to get involved!

Capsules.io Kickstarter

eryck22

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone remember the show "Automan" in the 80's. However, the main character had a sidekick named "Cursor'. I'm pretty sure this is where the idea came from, it's pretty cool. I image it's the same premise, Automan gave Cursor commands.

[video=youtube;fDkooA-80L0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDkooA-80L0[/video]

jspradling7

Reaction score
This reminds me of the Second Life virtual environment. Pretty cool idea. One of the reasons I bought Glass was to be able to do things like this. I sure hope they can get this off the ground and running.