Update After Root

Reaction score
Im on Froyo and I rooted with Unrevoked. Can I update the OS or is there something special I need to do? I realize I have to unfreeze the apps I have frozen through BloatFreezer.

smtom

Reaction score
Froyo IS the OS. The next name for the next iteration of android is gingerbread.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
whitedragon551
Reaction score
Froyo IS the OS. The next name for the next iteration of android is gingerbread.

Im aware of that. However you didnt even answer the question.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you running the stock ROM or have you installed a custom one?

smtom

Reaction score
The answer to the question is..... the OS is the Froyo version of the android mobile OS..... If its running Froyo, the OS is updated from Eclair, the prior version of the OS. Gingerbread is the next update to the android mobile OS. Nothing else to update if Froyo is what you want to run, else update to gingerbread. Simple.

OP
whitedragon551
Reaction score
The answer to the question is..... the OS is the Froyo version of the android mobile OS..... If its running Froyo, the OS is updated from Eclair, the prior version of the OS. Gingerbread is the next update to the android mobile OS. Nothing else to update if Froyo is what you want to run, else update to gingerbread. Simple.

Im also aware of that hence this topic. Seems nobody can address the Question.

Is it safe to do if I am rooted with Unrevoked?

smtom

Reaction score

Im also aware of that hence this topic. Seems nobody can address the Question.

Is it safe to do if I am rooted with Unrevoked?

'tis safe - question makes sense now - I was missing what you were asking.

Note that the version of recovery/CWM you are running will play into what ROMs you can flash w/out issue.

Said another way, the latest versions of ROM Manager, and the underlying CWM (ClockworkMod), 3.x, are a version ahead of many ROMs available at this time. RM/CWM developer did this to accommodate for newer scripting, as well as gingerbread ROMs.

So, read thoroughly the release notes of a ROM you want to flash, ensuring the version of RM/CWM you have coincide with the ROM of interest.

Last edited:
OP
whitedragon551
Reaction score
Im not going with custom ROM's. Im going to keep the stock Android ROM and Kernel.

Now is there a list anywhere of the differences between Froyo and Gingerbread (performance, GUI, functionality, etc.) and perhaps screenshots?

smtom

Reaction score
XDA has a smorgasboard of ROMs in the development thread for the incredible.

smtom

Reaction score
Search is your friend. Try it. It's simple.