update 2.3.3 and root and tether lost

turnpike

Reaction score
my D2G was rooted with Z4Root and i was using titanium so that i could block factory apps that i didn't want and to use the wireless tether for my ps3 on occasion for updates...i went to update my ps3 and realized that my wireless tether is gone, i'm assuming it happened when i updated to 2.3.3 like everyone else. i tried to run z4root again and it doesn't complete the root. i tired to search for it on the market place but it's gone as well.
is there any "easy" root like z4root available that works with 2.3.3 so that i can use titanium and wireless tether again?
any help is appreciated

Reaction score
Hey man I just read your post and I rooted my Droid 2 (NOT GLOBAL) with PETE'S MOTOROLA ROOT TOOL. Do a search for that on your pc, download the drivers. Everything you need is available from the website. Don't have access to my laptop now otherwise I would give you the link. It is very easy and it worked for me. I have the 2.3.3 OTA Gingerbread update as well. I will find the link for you soon as I get a chance, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding it with a quick Google search.

Sent from my newly liberated Droid2

silver6054

Reaction score
Yes, as mentioned lots of times on this forum, in the FAQ post and the Droid Wiki, Z4Root is specific to Froyo. Pete's One Click root will work to root Gingerbread on this phone.

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys...i've never delved deep into the words/acronymns and processes of rooting and flashing due to my desire for only wanting to wireless tether and lock out all those undeletable factory apps

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
well i downloaded this last night and tried it..and it didn't work. the program locks up at the boot loader screen, thankfully i was able to restart the phone and after a few battery pulls my old programming took over..i guess i'll wait till next update or till someone makes a 1 touch root app... i tried the program on both a win7 and vista pc and still have same issues... i'm grandfathered on the unlimited data plan so bricking my phone that i use for internet is not a option...

Garybusy113

Reaction score
What does the phone say in the bootloader screen? What does the app say when this happens? It could be that it is time to manually reset your phone. You have to do it a total of three times I do believe for the exploit to work.

shaggykid

Reaction score
Did you turn usb debugging off?

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
no i didn't turn off the debugging...at the bootloader screen is said ready for program...but nothing happened..it's like it timed out and froze.. the even tried to execute the abd (?) application that was included in the download and that did nothing as well.

shaggykid

Reaction score
Turn usb debugging off. Sounds like your idssue

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
no debugging is supposed to be selected...
Instructions to Root:
1. Make sure you have Motorola drivers installed - Motorola Drivers 32bit Motorola Drivers 64bit
2. Download the PetesMotorolaRootTools v1.05.zip file and unzip it to your Windows PC.
3. On your phone go into Settings>Applications>Development and check the box for USB Debugging.
4. Plug phone into your computer and select “Charge Only” mode.
5. Navigate to PetesMotorolaRootTools v1.05 folder and run Pete's Motorola Root Tools.exe.
6. Follow the instructions in the command window.
7. Your phone will complete 3 steps, rebooting along the way. When it finishes, you will be rooted.

shaggykid

Reaction score
My debugging was off.. froze with it on

arsci

Reaction score
Mine would always reboot into the bootloader for some reason as well. When it did, I unplugged it from the USB cable, rebooted the phone, let it get to the droid boot screen then plug it back in. It would continue from there. I was using Linux to do mine so IDK if that will work well with windows but it's worth a try.

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
i finally got around to getting the phone rooted, i used my windows 7 computer, previously i tried it on vista and had issues...may be internal programming conflicts