Unwanted shutdown/factory reset

jedi

Reaction score
This morning I looked over and saw my phone just rebooting/shutting down. That was the last time I was able to use it. Unable to power on after many attempts (essentially just unresponsive).
I haven't installed a new app in weeks. Have been noticing lag recently.

The battery was fully charged at the time. I tried a recovery. Fail. Ended up having to do a factory reset. And things are "back to normal" (aside from me spending half my morning doing this and reconfiguring everything)

As a technologist by trade (although not when it comes to mobile devices), not knowing the cause of something like this bothers me greatly.
Was there an update this morning that went bad?

I guess my only question is have others had this happen? Anyone venture a guess as to why? And how to prevent in the future?

thanks

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
This morning I looked over and saw my phone just rebooting/shutting down. That was the last time I was able to use it. Unable to power on after many attempts (essentially just unresponsive).

The battery was fully charged at the time. I tried a recovery. Fail. Ended up having to do a factory reset. And things are "back to normal" (aside from me spending half my morning doing this and reconfiguring everything)

As a technologist by trade (although not when it comes to mobile devices), not knowing the cause of something like this bothers me greatly.

I guess my only question is have others had this happen? Anyone venture a guess as to why? And how to prevent in the future?

thanks
Glad to hear you got the phone working again. What you have experienced doesn't happen very often or at least not reported very often. Any number of things could have caused the problem, but generally speaking, it is usually caused by an app that is behaving badly (and not necessarily one you've downloaded and installed), even if it is an app that you've had on the phone for some period of time and has never caused a problem before. It's hard to tell exactly what caused the problem with the diagnostic tools (or lack thereof) available to the user. Hopefully the factory reset has cleared things up.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

thanks

This may be what is being called "black screen of death". Some of these are attributed to software glitches as jpcalhoun mentions, some we (or at least I) believe may be attributed to a battery that has dipped too low in voltage. I don't think that was the cause in your situation as you said the battery was fully charged. A factory reset is never fun, but it's not too much different than a Windows XP installation that starts doing strange things, so you format and reinstall (like I did on the office PC I'm on now - last weekend...what a drag!).

Glad to know you're back in business. ;)

monkey_man

Reaction score

I understood you completely with that sentence :p. I had 15% battery power this morning where I had BSOD as well. Oh well what can you do with technology this day and lack of QC :icon_evil::icon_eek:. More powerful... More bugs :happy3::biggrin:

P.S: I wonder if you installed many apps as Factory Reset can be a headache. When such thing happens in the future, I suggest you would hold on Power + Vol. Down button for 8-10 seconds as that equal to reset button on your PC. This method never fails in rebooting the phone unlike Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Last edited:
OP
J

jedi

Reaction score
Follow up to this.
It did it again!
If yours does this return asap.

This time i could not recover the phone. Totally locked screen, battery issue i believe. Lame....

I'm sour...on this phone, moto, and Verizon. The wounds are fresh, yes, but the hype doesn't match the delivery esp for what the refresh cycle is.

Oh well...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums