Unusual Sudden Battery Drain

ascreen06

Reaction score
can't understand recent poor battery performance. hours on charger gets only 3/4 charged. phone in the red in about an hour after charge. any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score
If this is a new issue and your phone used to get much better life than there is a chance that something you downloaded is causing the issue. however, i recently was experiencing poor battery life so i did a factory reset and then downloaded all of my apps back and my phone is set up exactly like it was only now the battery life is back to normal. Not sure what was causing it though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

SallyC

Reaction score
Does factory reset remove contacts, photos, apps?

GFY!

It will remove everything (ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications) that was added to your phone but that doesn't include data on your external SD card unless you choose that. Of course items that are stored on other servers, like Gmail, Google Music and your Google Contacts, are not affected.

You should back up all the data on your phone you don't want to lose. Some folks back up their apps to a SD card, and then remove it prior to the reset. But you can also re-install any apps you purchased from Google Play by going there and selecting My Android Apps. However if you do it that way you will only be re-installing the apps - any data associated with them will be lost.

You can find more info about it and how to do it here and/or here.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
can't understand recent poor battery performance. hours on charger gets only 3/4 charged. phone in the red in about an hour after charge. any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

What is the phone's history with charging? Do you always charge while still powered on? It may be that the phone isn't actually getting the "3/4" charge it is showing. It may be getting fooled into thinking it's nearly fully charged and drops into the "topping off" charge mode far too soon. That would account for the exceptionally long charging period and also for it seeming to be at 15% or lower in only a hour or so.

If you haven't already, before you go ahead and do a Factory reset, instead power the phone off (hold power button, hit "Power off" in pop-up menu"). Then plug the phone into the Motorola Approved charger and allow it to charge for at least 3 hours, better to wait 4 hours. Once that time has elapsed, tap the power button ONCE BRIEFLY and wait a few seconds. A large Animated Battery should display and the "liquid" level should be at 100%. If so, go ahead and disconnect from the charger, power up and use to the "low battery" level (15%). Then repeat the process above.

If this is strictly related to the charger and meter being out of whack with each other, this procedure (charge to 100% with power off, use to 15%, charge again to 100% with power off), should resolve it. If this doesn't fix the problem, then I would try running in Safe Mode (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/200128-accessing-safe-mode-your-razr.html) for a day after fully charging to see if the battery lasts or drains quickly. If the battery lasts while in Safe mode but depletes rapidly in normal boot mode, you have a rogue application. You can start uninstalling apps (most recently installed first) until the problem is resolved, or you can do the almighty Factory restore.

Good luck! Please report back your findings. :biggrin: