Unusual spell-correct problem

Randy Poe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid 4
I haven't seen this one discussed. I have an incredibly annoying issue in the Browser which appears to be some sort of mutant auto-correct. Yet I've followed instructions to turn off auto-correct everywhere I can find it.

Here's the issue: If I am typing text and start to backspace to erase the last word, the software won't let me. At some point, usually when deleting the final character of word 2, the cursor will suddenly jump back into the previous word and garble it with a combination of the two words. Sometimes I can back out 3-5 words to a point where it stops jumping back, sometimes not.

Thus, suppose I'd typed "unusual typing prob" and decided to start erasing that by backspacing. I might get this far: "unusual typing p" and then the next backspace does something like this: "unusual typpingprob". Try to move the cursor around the garble to delete the extraneous characters and it will suddenly do this to "unsual": "unustypigalprob" or some thing like that.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? What setting is controlling it? It happens on multiple forums when accessing them from the phone, so I think it has to be the Browser.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Yes! I have this issue with certain websites, I think it is an odd behavior with the way certain websites(forums) are handled. Very annoying and wish I knew a fix for it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The same thing happened a while back with a lot of different phone models (mostly Moto I think..but I believe there were more). That issue is related to a specific version of Chrome...don't remember which one now. If you either: update Chrome to the latest version or Uninstall all Chrome Updates (back to the stock version #) the issue should go away. Hope that helps.

Rubenk

Reaction score
The same thing happened a while back with a lot of different phone models (mostly Moto I think..but I believe there were more). That issue is related to a specific version of Chrome...don't remember which one now. If you either: update Chrome to the latest version or Uninstall all Chrome Updates (back to the stock version #) the issue should go away. Hope that helps.

It occurs when using the stock android browser for me. Havent tried Chrome.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Interesting. I didn't know the D4 still has the Browser app. Are there any updates available for the Browser app? Is Chrome installed on the phone?

Rubenk

Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't know the D4 still has the Browser app. Are there any updates available for the Browser app? Is Chrome installed on the phone?

No updates for browser, and Chrome is installed and fully updated...

But, I went and uninstalled all the Chrome updates(couldnt uninstall completely) made a post on a normally troublesome forum and it all went fine. Wow! OP try this and let us know!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That was the exact same thing that happened to me and a few others and what fixed it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There was a Chrome update last year that even listed that in the "fixes"

Rubenk

Reaction score
Thank you, it was pure chance that I ran across this thread, wasnt actively looking for a fix to that problem, but i'm glad you chimed in and helped me! Thanks!