Unrooting wihtout losing data/apps

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bluetlr2001, Dec 30, 2010.

1. bluetlr2001

bluetlr2001 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a droid 1 that is rooted. Just stock root with root access so i could run mobile hotspot on it. I had someone root it but cant get ahold of them anymore to unroot it so i can update my phone. Im tired of the update popping up on the screen. The apps he put on it are setcpu superuser and astro. All the post ive seen about unrooting just wipe the phone and im hoping i can unroot it without loosing my apps right now. i do plan on rooting it back after i update it though. Any help would be great

2. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was in your shoes once. Running a stock rom, wanting to update, and probably scared of screwing something up.

My best advice is to first download titanium backup from the market, run a batch operation from the settings menu to backup everything. Then download rom manager from the market and flash clockworkmod recovery from within that app (so you know what you're using.) Do a nandroid backup from rom manager so you can always get back to where you are now (as insurance.) Now you can go into rom manager, download rom, and you will see a tab for stock roms. These are the exact same thing you want to update to only they are already rooted (obviously). Install that rom (wiping data and cache). This will give you a fresh install with no apps or data (don't freak out!) Download titanium backup from the market and run another batch restore, restore apps with all system data. Then you're done.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it's really quite easy the way I told you to do it. If you have any issues go to the rescue squad section and they will gladly help.

Fyi, that's the same way you Install a custom rom as well.

Hope this helps.
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. rhinoman585

rhinoman585 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. bluetlr2001

bluetlr2001 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot but I already have titanium backup installed the guy that done the root for me installed it to. But I don't have rom manager yet so I will install it later when I get home. One question do u have to be rooted to run titanium backup

5. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie Member

Ratings:
    +0

Yes, it's a root app. Let me also say that there are several ways to do what you're trying to do. I'm just trying to save you the hassle of rooting all over again if you want to root again anyway.

The free version of rom manager will work for your needs too by the way.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread too in case you have any more questions...

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...

6. bluetlr2001

bluetlr2001 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i was messing with phone for a bit on break i looked in titanium backup about the batch setting to backup everything i see verify all your backups then backup all user apps then system data then backup user apps and data. Im not sure which one to run or do i just run verify all your backups? Sorry im stil new to this. Also with the rom manager will it allow me to install the update that is pending. Im running the 2.2 update but the one that is pending is the 2.2.1 update

7. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did he install the free version or did you pay for the Pro version? The free version is missing some capabilities (including mass restore of apps).

8. bluetlr2001

bluetlr2001 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if he used the free or what. If he paid its a bootleg off of his

9. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You would need the pro key (donate version) to batch restore... good call. I think it's just 4 bucks anyway.

10. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You would not be installing just an update, it issues the rom in general. Nothing you received ota, it would be what you download from rom manager. The end result is the same though. You'll end up with the frg83d 2.2.1 build and never lose root access.

11. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so frg83d isn't on rom manager, but you can download Frg83 from peteralfonso.com and install it that way, search for frg83d to find a rooted version, or search search for unroot/back to stock without sbf or rsd lite, download and flash the file to unroot, update to the 2.2.1 via ota, then use Z4root from xda forums to root again. Just do some research for a while.

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...

12. bluetlr2001

bluetlr2001 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had actually just done the rom manager and seen it wasn't one there just frg01b was. So ill just look for the other and see if I can download it and go that route. Does the z4root work on the original droids. From what I have read it has issues but like I said I'm new to it. Also I've read about superoneclick which would be better and easier for a noob

Search tags for this page
how to unroot android without losing data

how to unroot galaxy s4 without losing data

how to unroot htc one without losing data
how to unroot phone without losing data
how to unroot without loosing data

how to unroot without losing data

unroot galaxy s4 without losing data

unroot phone without losing data

unroot s4 i545 no data loss
unroot without losing data