Unrooting the droidx

Mojo

Reaction score
I went ahead and made this a sticky, and posted it on DroidX forums as well and gave you full credit for this bmt626

bje1982

Reaction score
@bmt626 all apologies there's a lot of jokesters sometimes all respect thank you for your talent :hail:

OP
B

bmt626

Reaction score
@bmt626 all apologies there's a lot of jokesters sometimes all respect thank you for your talent :hail:

it fine i know people say things just to get people all excited and never follow through i cant say i blame you i was wainting for someone to say it since the how to was not up yet lol i hope this helps every one if someone has tried to unroot after removing bloatware please let me know so i can update the OP i would love to know if the apps come back after a restore

Razir

Reaction score
@bmt626....excellent work and thanks for the knowledge-share! dancedroid

I haven't decided if I am going to root my X yet (miss wi-fi tether big time), but glad to know if I do, I can go back (without removing anything...at least for now.....)

OP
B

bmt626

Reaction score
You can also do this and not wipe at the end thus keeping all apps. And data intact

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

littlepriest01

Reaction score
Has this been tested with people that renamed apks?

Just curious did you test this after renaming apks? Did it go into a boot loop. I renamed two apks and am dying to get back to stock, but don't want to boot loop my phone.

OP
B

bmt626

Reaction score
Just put the apks back then go back to stock

littlepriest01

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. Did you rename apks and then restore them when you were testing the unroot, and did you use the adb method of rooting.

OP
B

bmt626

Reaction score
I used adb method but terminal could also be used on the phone but i did not test with deleting apps i can confirm from others apps will not come back on a fully restore/wipe please put them back in place before unrooting this will only be required untill a sfb file is found as is the case on original droid

littlepriest01

Reaction score
So it sounds like if I used adb and only renamed apks, as long as I rename them back I should be ok to use this method.

OP
B

bmt626

Reaction score
Yes if you don't put them back and unroot you would have to root again to put the apks otherwise they are gone even if you wipe my best advice is when you have it at stock (all bloatware and no root) do a system dump "adb pull /system/ /system" this copies they system folder to your pc so everything will be as it should apk wise

imnotoct

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experience.

I rooted my X the other day and deleted some bloatware. When I tried installing the over the air update it failed. I found a site that had backups of the bloatware so I just reinstalled the apps I previously removed. I was then able to install the over the air update.

After all of that, using the original posters instructions I was able to unroot the phone. I just wanted to see if it would work so now I guess it's back to rooting it.

Oh and just to make sure it was unrooted I opened up my battle.net authenticator. If the phone is rooted it gives a message saying a rooted phone could compromise it's security. This message was gone after the unrooting.

aw3sk3r

Reaction score

I rooted my X the other day and deleted some bloatware. When I tried installing the over the air update it failed. I found a site that had backups of the bloatware so I just reinstalled the apps I previously removed. I was then able to install the over the air update.

After all of that, using the original posters instructions I was able to unroot the phone. I just wanted to see if it would work so now I guess it's back to rooting it.

Oh and just to make sure it was unrooted I opened up my battle.net authenticator. If the phone is rooted it gives a message saying a rooted phone could compromise it's security. This message was gone after the unrooting.

Will it perform the OTA update if rooted and still having the bloatware?

imnotoct

Reaction score

Will it perform the OTA update if rooted and still having the bloatware?

Yes it will. It's weird though it seemed like it needed to have the bloat ware installed in order for the update to take place. So I would suggest not removing any apps until you perform the update and keeping backups of them if you delete them.

phillycodehound

Reaction score
Is there an easier way to root your droid x that does involve and coding knowledge. I'm a Web designer but I suck in shell. Is there something like UnRevoked for the Droid X?