Unroot without ADB

chazall1

Reaction score
I followed the commands to unroot, when I was using ADB and it worked. What is the proper way to unroot not using ADB. I have used both ADB to root and unroot. I have root without using ADB, How do I unroot on the DX without ADB

Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to leave this thread open because I'd like to see an answer but you know you just asked this question in another thread. Please do not cross post.

OP
chazall1

chazall1

Reaction score
Sorry and thank you. I will not double post.

qoncept

Reaction score
All you're doing to unroot is deleting the files you put in place when you rooted it. I haven't tried, but you should be able to just run the commands below in your terminal.

Code:
su
rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/bin/busybox
rm /system/bin/rootshell
reboot

OP
chazall1

chazall1

Reaction score
That is what I was looking to do, but wanted some confirmation. Thanks

OP
chazall1

chazall1

Reaction score
This worked on my DX. Now I see the information on
Rooting made easy By
johnomaz

You can root and unroot with 1 click. Nice to know.

Its nice to know you have a backup way to root and unroot through the command line.

givmedew

Reaction score
I can confirm this works HOWEVER for some reason "rm /system/bin/rootshell" failed to be removed maybe because I never installed it not sure why it said it failed.

My phone is now unrooted though so awesome. Big fan of not requiring the ADB shell!

yoyo814

Reaction score
whenever I go to remove the superuser.apk I get a message saying it failed because system is read only, when I try to chmod system it says it fails again because it's read only. I su at the begining as well, any ideas?

bigd73

Reaction score
whenever I go to remove the superuser.apk I get a message saying it failed because system is read only, when I try to chmod system it says it fails again because it's read only. I su at the begining as well, any ideas?

You need to mount the system folder so it isn't read only. This will work for you.

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/bin/busybox
rm /system/bin/rootshell
reboot

charliehal

Reaction score
I was having the same problem, but I used root explorer to make it writable because the command didn't work for me. Then I minimized root explorer, went to terminal and finished the process as you posted. Thanks for the post.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk