Unroot Motorola Droid?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ts7, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ts7

ts7 New Member

HELP! I believe my phone was defective as it has not been able to install the update pushed out by Verizon and I was unable to manually install it either. When looking for alternate updates, I accidentally ran one that rooted my phone rather than updated. While most would argue this is a GOOD thing, for me it was unintentional and from what I am reading has now voided my warranty. I need to take the phone back to Verizon for warranty replacement. Is there ANY WAY to "un-root" the phone?
  2. phreakaj

phreakaj New Member

You should be able to use the manual 2.0.1 update just the same processb as you used to apply root
  3. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

download the manual 2.0.1 ota update
    save as update(do not put .zip on the end if your on windows vista/7)
    plug in and mount phone, place update on sdcard, power down, power up while holding x
    select install update.zip when its done select reboot. now your unrooted.
  4. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Hey thanks!! I was wondering this my self
  5. ts7

ts7 New Member

Thanks - I had tried that but to no avail. That was actually how this all started. My phone would not take the upgrade either OTA or manually. After reading other threads, the problem may have been that I was using 64-bit Vista. I took a chance and brought the phone back to Verizon and explained the situation. They worked with it for a couple of hours and finally ended up flashing the phone (they said this was a new process for the Droid and mine was the first they had ever done it on). I lost all of my settings (even the gmail backup was gone), but at least my phone is working again - hopefully for good. Thanks for the input!
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

How can the gmail backup be gone? IIRC it's located on the google servers...
  7. Jaylor

Jaylor New Member

Can't you just reset the phone to factory defaults by doing the

Power+X
    Volume up + Camera button

And in the menu select reset to factory defaults?

I'm assuming this is going to take you back to ver 2.0 without root, without any apps, contacts or anything else you've done to your phone.

Granted, I don't know this for sure but its typically how all devices work *eyes his old ipod video* I've reset that thing so many times with a 'restore' and it always removes any hacks I've done to it.
  8. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

look here medicthree, i have done nothing but offer assistance, but it has gotten to the point where phones are being returned under false pretenses. i will not be punished for idiots that just think they need to root their phone because its the in thing to do. no one that posted above is asking questions, instead they think they can do it on their own. i have a damn tutorial step by step, yet no one is even looking at it. i dont know how much simpler this can be than this. basically one click root. if you cant get that right, then you dont deserve it. root is a basic necessity for some of us, and the posers are ruining it rather quickly on an amazing device that it will serve us best. stop catering to the noobs and understand that without them, this wouldnt even be mainstream, and we could enjoy the privacy and comfort that is our community. these sheep just following the masses, need to get lost, or learn to read. the only people bricking devices are the people that dont deserve this in the first place.
  9. Brian7

Brian7 New Member

I bet you're right...otherwise there wouldn't be a factory reset...ie it wouldn't work if your files were hosed. Good call
  10. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

11. Brian7

Brian7 New Member

Boost....chill bro...this is minor. Just keep rollin' the way we're going. Pandoras box is open and all the worrying and paranoia in the world aint gonna put it back. You're a solid contributor here...so far and there's no reason for you to worry, the droid police aren't coming to get us. If someone wants to brick their new toy so be it...we all started somewhere and we are all equal here, that's the beauty of this whole forum. Hope you get where I'm coming from:)
    Peace
  12. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

i had to get that out, to cleanse the soul. im good. i hope half the noobs that tried this brick their phone, and never try again.. the same issue over and over, on 3 different boards, for the love of god.. search...
    i dont know how many thousands of threads are because the morons cant figure out that update.zip.zip isnt the same as .zip... lol.. sorry had to get it all out.. im good now, hopefully people can learn to read. it takes what 5 minutes, to re read everything? vs idk, $300 phone becoming a paperweight..lol
  13. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

boost I do agree that people that have no idea what they are doing should not be rooting their devices, but try and use a little more tact before this thread spirals out of control.

thanks
  14. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

again, needed to get that out, in that exact form. now then. lets help some noobs un**** their phones shall we? next caller, go ahead
  15. wrightchad1

wrightchad1 New Member

I Rooted, Now I want to UN-ROOT. Please Help

Okay, I successfully rooted my Droid, but I'm worried when an OTA update comes through its going to Brick. I know I can just block the OTA update but I dont really need it to be rooted.
    Two Questions:
    1. If I keep it rooted, will i be able to manually update when the next version comes out?
    2. I've tried just using the 2.0.1 update without root to "re-do" the phone, but it stays rooted.

What can I do?
  16. dudeitsmattx

dudeitsmattx New Member

when you put the 2.0.1 file on your sdcard did you delete the root file from ur sdcard?
  17. dudeitsmattx

dudeitsmattx New Member

easy to under stand to me. now if you un-root the phone this way will you lose any your stuff like apps, GDE home, themes, ect?? thank
  18. wrightchad1

wrightchad1 New Member

No, Should I have? I dont have any other files in there but the 2.0.1 update.zip that I just downloaded fresh from the link on the homepage.
  19. dudeitsmattx

dudeitsmattx New Member

im not sure if i were you i would wait for boost to reply on that. im no pro at this like he is. it was just a thought
  20. wrightchad1

wrightchad1 New Member

Unrooting, sorry for the confusion.

Okay, so I re "updated" to 2.0.1, and it DID successfully un-root my droid, but the "Superuser Permissions" app is still in my applications menu. How can I get rid of that?
Search tags for this page
how to unroot a droid1
motorola droid rooted need to unroot

unroot droid

unroot droid 4

unroot motorola droid