Unroot Help

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
No TiBackup can backup apps and app data, that's why its so useful. You can unroot, just follow the manual instructions in terminal. Its just not worth it when you can just start over. Good luck with whatever you decide.

{{ WugFresh }}

Ah, backing up both is pretty sweet. I think I'll just do that since I got to give it up anyway. Figure I'll back it up and clear it tonight, then bring it to VZW tomorrow.

I wonder how they deal with situations like this...I mean they're not going to take it in the back, get out a screw driver and get to work...and for some reason I doubt they'd give me a replacement right there...so I might be without a phone for a bit. Hope they don't make me give back all the OEM packaging, I don't know where half that **** is.

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
Well, I used Titanium Backup to backup all the apps/data/market links, then exported my contacts to the SD Card.

I'm going to try the flash process now...I hope there's nothing else I should have grabbed..

I'm guessing I should dump the SD Card to my computer and clear it so I can bring it back to the VZW store empty?

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
Well alright.

So Odin failed, left it for about 30-40 minutes, then finally while trying to put on the factory file system (factorfs.rfs) it went to "FAIL" (red..not green).

So not to let it keep me down, I know Windows sucks at managing USB devices and I swapped mice during that time, I had another go at it, independence day style -.-.

And that seemed to work fine, in 3m now I got the green "PASS"

Baseband version and build number are both DL09.

Cleared my SD Card (just deleted everything didn't format, there's nothing super personal on there).

Guess it's off to the VZW store, now, wish me luck O.O

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
Good luck!

Well, half was good, half was bad.

For the good part, they signed off that there is an issue, it went under a manufacturer's defect, and I should be getting a new phone in the mail Monday.

For the bad news, backing up the contacts failed MISERABLY. Why? Well the stupid/useless export didn't bother to write what was a phone contact and what was a google contact into the export file.

So I have the choice of importing like 1000 contacts that it backed up onto the phone contacts list (completely useless to me). Or I can import them into the "google contacts list" (equally as useless as 99% of them are FROM GOOGLE). Why the hell did nobody think to mark the contact as google or phone contact in the backup document?? That's not something that developers should have to stretch to think of why somebody would use that..

So that is pretty epic fail, I in essence lost all my contacts because digging through a gigantic list of contacts, 99% of which you'll never even remotely use for one particular contact is just as useless as not having any. Pretty sure I have to re-enter all my contacts manually, on the new phone :(. Should have known better than to trust programs that come on the phone :-\. At least I'll be getting a new phone on Monday or Tuesday...Then I'll just have to re-enter my phone contacts manually, and it'll grab the google contacts as soon as it syncs...but then they'll be separated and I can filter my contacts list to only show phone contacts.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Its not androids fault you didn't have your contacts organized. It may be a pain for you this time around, but like I said before you should sync your important contacts to a different gmail/exchange account this time so you don't have these problems again in the future. Good luck.

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
Its not androids fault you didn't have your contacts organized. It may be a pain for you this time around, but like I said before you should sync your important contacts to a different gmail/exchange account this time so you don't have these problems again in the future. Good luck.

{{ WugFresh }}

Are you serious? They don't get much more organized than that. I entered the contacts of people I wanted to call on the phone, IT decided to download all my contacts from gmail into its address book and merge the two. I was fine with that because I could filter the list by **** I added, and **** it downloaded on its own.

It is most definitely Android's fault. As a SW developer I feel I am very capable of criticizing others' decisions. At NO POINT during a backup process should data about the items being backed up be lost. That's what it means to have a true backup. It'd be like if you backed up your root directory (recursively), and the backup tool decided it didn't give a flying **** what your directory structure was - every file was just dumped into one folder, because a crucial piece of information was lost in translation.

The contacts app, having a marker on board that can differentiate between phone contacts and google contacts SHOULD have been able to back that data up as well, and any reasonable person would think that it does back up all the data. You can defend it all you want, but at the end of the day it was a poor SW engineering decision, plain and simple.

Information lost during backups is a sorry excuse for a backup...it'd be like you syncing your contacts and it not syncing contacts starting with X, W, Y, or Z, because it feels the frequency at which they're accessed typically isn't high enough so you probably wouldn't care if they were gone. Information was still lost, in this case, sorting information. It was there before the backup, wasn't after.

A better decision would have been to either choose what groups to back up (so you can back groups up separately), and/or add the data that was lost to the backup file. Not hard to prepend a group byte to each contact that contains the group info of it.

It's a stupid situation/decision if you think about it. What the hell is the purpose of backing up gmail contacts? Just in case all of Google's server farms go down? It's pretty useless if you think about it, in essence, it only makes sense to back up contacts which won't sync, phone contacts, which can then be imported back onto the phone. Backing up cloud data to a single computer negates the concept of cloud data, which is what Google is all about. If anything it should only backup non-google contacts, or there should be some options, or it should not omit sorting data that it has at its disposal, lots of ways that could have been handled better.

I feel it's silly to have a separate gmail or exchange account just to sync my phone contacts too, to keep them separate from my gmail contacts, just seems like a waste to me.

That being said, what I did was I created a new group in my gmail account called "Phone Contacts" and am just going to add my contacts to that, then it can do a full sync, the people don't have e-mail addresses but it doesn't care, and I can filter by the ones I want on my phone, then there will be no actual specific phone contacts, everything will just be in the cloud and sync when it's modified. The only problem with this method is Google is going to try to get smart and start combining contacts, which I don't want.

Not sure if it may be weird to some people, but despite getting my e-mail on my phone, I'd like to keep my phone contacts and my e-mail contacts separate. I mean hooray if I can access my contacts for my e-mail in the e-mail app, but I certainly don't want them all lumped together.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Are you serious? They don't get much more organized than that. I entered the contacts of people I wanted to call on the phone, IT decided to download all my contacts from gmail into its address book and merge the two. I was fine with that because I could filter the list by **** I added, and **** it downloaded on its own.

It is most definitely Android's fault. As a SW developer I feel I am very capable of criticizing others' decisions. At NO POINT during a backup process should data about the items being backed up be lost. That's what it means to have a true backup. It'd be like if you backed up your root directory (recursively), and the backup tool decided it didn't give a flying **** what your directory structure was - every file was just dumped into one folder, because a crucial piece of information was lost in translation.

First off....see all those stars?? That's you swearing. Even though the filter caught it, we would prefer you not use foul language. There's no need for it.
Second. Your contacts are synced with you google account. There was no point in moving them to you sdcard. When you get your new phone and log in, it will sync and all your contacts will return. Just sort by those with phone numbers and that should keep them seperate.

Sent from somewhere...

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
@Syndacate
Yeah... I'm serious. All of the technology is there for you to have no problems. Your contacts are un-organized (server-side that is...the relevant one), not the end of the world. If you don't like the way android exports contacts and think you can make it better than make an app. You complaining to me and others trying to help you doesn't do anything. What exactly were you trying to accomplish? All I was trying to do was provide you with a potential solution to your technical problem; your response was 'I don't want to setup a whole other gmail account just for my contacts... I just want to complain to you about how this sucks'. Your acting as if setting up an email account is some big chore, or as if I am the one who messed up your export...lol. I provided you with one simple potential solution, one you could have easily used or ignored... but rather than acknoledge it and move on, you decided to write a response trying to validate to me why your qualified to complain about a feature you think is lacking, like I'm going to forward it to google for you...lol. Furthermore your response involved condensingly telling me that google is all about "cloud computing".. lol. I am aware what's involved here; servers and your phone, or better put; computers and the internet. I'm sure you will figure out a way to sync selective data. Please don't ask me if "I am serious" as if I am somehow unqualified to understand what you were talking about. All I tried to do in this thread was provide you technical advice, if you have gripes with the android os please direct your complaints towards google, find an alternate solution, or develop an app that does what you want. As for you swearing, I personally don't give a *bleep*.. lol.

My apologies if I sound harsh. I would be more than happy to help you in the future if you have a legitimate problem. Glad you got your replacement phone and your unrooting problem was finally resolved. Have a nice day.

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score

First off....see all those stars?? That's you swearing. Even though the filter caught it, we would prefer you not use foul language. There's no need for it.
Second. Your contacts are synced with you google account. There was no point in moving them to you sdcard. When you get your new phone and log in, it will sync and all your contacts will return. Just sort by those with phone numbers and that should keep them seperate.

Sent from somewhere...

I guess filtering by numbers will work for the most part. I'll still get a decent amount of false positives because for some reason some people in my gmail contacts got phone numbers, not entirely sure where those got mixed. Might have been from my old phone, not sure. The other part of it is I had people that I wanted to hold onto their numbers but didn't want them on my phone contacts list, so I put them in google contacts, because I also had their e-mail addrs.

I just wanted to keep them separate and it all got merged automatically :-\.

@Syndacate
Yeah... I'm serious. All of the technology is there for you to have no problems. Your contacts are un-organized (server-side that is...the relevant one), not the end of the world. If you don't like the way android exports contacts and think you can make it better than make an app. You complaining to me and others trying to help you doesn't do anything. What exactly were you trying to accomplish? All I was trying to do was provide you with a potential solution to your technical problem; your response was 'I don't want to setup a whole other gmail account just for my contacts... I just want to complain to you about how this sucks'. Your acting as if setting up an email account is some big chore, or as if I am the one who messed up your export...lol. I provided you with one simple potential solution, one you could have easily used or ignored... but rather than acknoledge it and move on, you decided to write a response trying to validate to me why your qualified to complain about a feature you think is lacking, like I'm going to forward it to google for you...lol. Furthermore your response involved condensingly telling me that google is all about "cloud computing".. lol. I am aware what's involved here; servers and your phone, or better put; computers and the internet. I'm sure you will figure out a way to sync selective data. Please don't ask me if "I am serious" as if I am somehow unqualified to understand what you were talking about. All I tried to do in this thread was provide you technical advice, if you have gripes with the android os please direct your complaints towards google, find an alternate solution, or develop an app that does what you want. As for you swearing, I personally don't give a *bleep*.. lol.

My apologies if I sound harsh. I would be more than happy to help you in the future if you have a legitimate problem. Glad you got your replacement phone and your unrooting problem was finally resolved. Have a nice day.

{{ WugFresh }}

When I get some free time I will, school consumes most of my life.

I wasn't trying to accomplish anything, I was simply *****ing due to Android taking the iOS approach to life - thinking it knows what you want and not giving you the option otherwise.

No, I never meant to blame you, I was just *****ing in general. It's not a big chore to set up another e-mail account, I just rather not have an entire e-mail account to only remember the 15-20 (whatever the actual number is) or so contacts I want on my phone.

You misinterpreted it, the feature is definitely lacking, but I wasn't blaming you for it. If I knew it lost data during a backup I wouldn't have used it, but I was unaware, therefore I did it. I wasn't blaming you for suggesting it or anything, I was simply annoyed about it.

Your response reeked of fanboy-ism, that's why I asked if you were serious. Android, like any other OS/Program has its flaws, this is simply one of them. Losing attribute data over a backup should never be acceptable. Saying that my contacts were unorganized is a scapegoat at the very least, and a false one at that.

I think you took it too personally, only reason I said what I said to you was because you jumped to Android's defense even though the issue is clearly a poor SW decision. Any time you lose/omit information during a backup that's not recoverable, you did something wrong.

I ended up reflashing it, I never fixed the problem, just circumvented it.

I'm not pissed at you, just got pissed at somebody else's SW design, so unless you were the lead dev on the contacts section who decided to do it that way, I'm not annoyed at you.