Unroot for warranty return

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt Hacks' started by jeremywood30, Apr 18, 2011.

1. jeremywood30

jeremywood30 New Member

I have not rooted my phone. Is it a guarantee to unroot and Verizon won't see anything? I don't want to spend all that time hacking my phone, to find out Verizon knows. Is it a sure fire thing when you unroot?
  2. lazarus2297

lazarus2297 New Member

If you flash back via the current RUU file then there would be no "proof, or evidence" that the phone was rooted

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  3. sk8

sk8 New Member

Besides the clockworkmod folder, or to backup folder or others.......

sent from a sweet paper weight.
  4. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT Member

The files are on the SD card which will not be anything checked for a warranty replacement. I've taken rooted phones to Verizon for warranty and although they are getting strict with warranties as long as its unrooted back to stock there will not be an issue.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  5. Capt.D

Capt.D Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Format the sd and no evidence
  6. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Why would you give them your SD?
  7. Capt.D

32 g came with the Thunderbolt...they may require you return it...Or at least look around the phone before exchanging it.....
  8. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT Member

My point exactly I have replaced 4 phones in the past and never replaced the memory card 32g or 16g doesn't matter they will hand it to you not require it with the phone.

9. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

I had always assumed the sd card was yours, included with the price of the phone. They dont insure the sd card, ya know?

Back on topic please!
  10. Capt.D

I was simply answering the OP's question could they tell...If your card is in it and you haven't wiped it yes they could. The last phone I got warrentied I had to take it to a center and have it looked at before they would send another. Will they make you give back the card...I do not know and wouldn't think so...but they could if they give a new one with the replacement phone...My answer was just to say if he is concerned about it clear it and leave no evidence.
  11. jeremywood30

jeremywood30 New Member

Ok, with this all said. What is the best link for rooting?
  12. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT Member

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=996616

A lot of the issues you might have are all addressed in the thread its been locked so you won't be able to get support there but if you have an issue pm me and I will try to help. It will wipe everything so you might wanna save anything you wanna keep to your computer or SD card

13. jeremywood30

jeremywood30 New Member

My TB is now rooted, thank you to all.
  14. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

I have returned several phones under warranty, many rooted, one even with bugless beast on it, and verizon has never complained. One time I had trouble returning a phone through the store for reasons not related to rooting, so I called verizon technical support and spoke to a supervisor. She informed me that the employees are not ever supposed to deny warranty replacements unless there is something like a cracked screen or obvious water damage and that it drives technical support crazy when the stores do it. She informed me off the record that verizon just sbf's the phones without even booting the os in order to avoid irritating customers and to save payroll. They discourage rooting in everyway possible, but even if you do root they still want you as a customer because they are still making money off of you.

If you ever are given trouble for rooting, just threaten to cancel your contract and they will change their tone.
  15. hairlessrien

hairlessrien New Member

so my phone wont turn on. CWR or HBOOT. and based off my understanding, because my phone can't power up they wont be able to read it and deny my warranty?
  16. givmedew

givmedew New Member

Verizon just started an awesome new thing where you must get your replacement through the mail and when you send your phone back if there is anything done to it that voids the warranty and they find out then they charge you a very large amount of money that is NON refundable you do NOT have the option of sending the phone they sent you back for a refund.

Over the phone they told me IF my phones warranty was void to just keep the phone they sent me and they would automatically charge the fee.

I for one like this idea as it keeps people honest. No more taking it into the store to see if a rep can figure out what you did to break it.

If it is your fault file an insurance claim if it isn't your fault then unroot it and send it back.

End story just be honest.
  17. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT Member

*Deleted**
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  18. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

This is false. I have returned many of rooted phones with no problem. They even replaced my d1 with a d2. If you want piece of mind then sbf otherwise don't worry about it. They will not lose a customer over rooting or wear and tear. If you are ever treated unfairly, call the cancellation dept (known as the retention dept internally), tell them you are cancelling because you were mistreated, stay firm and don't let them talk you out of it until they waive the "damaged phone" fees (they like to point out early termination fees and twist them to make it seem like you are saving money not cancelling). But I would bet my first born if you go the mail route Verizon will not give you any trouble unless there is severe damage like a cracked or waterlogged screen.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  19. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

They won't even attempt to read it, they never do, they do an inspect for severe physical damage to the phone like a cracked screen or water damage then move on. It isn't worth the hassle to them. This was told to me by a high level tech support person at verizon. They fix the broken components, reflash the software, then ship it back out.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Search tags for this page
can you unroot to claim warranty
does unrooting the phone avoid the warranty
how to unroot and return for warranty
how to unroot for warrantee replacement
returning a rooted phone under warranty
returning thunderbolt phone and need to unroot
unroot nexus 4 warranty
unroot phone for warranty

unroot phone warranty

unroot stock warranty