unroot before taking to store?

binsky3333

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm taking my droid to the store to get the battery tested, because it dies overnight. Should I unroot my phone incase it is a problem with the phone and not the battery?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Absolutely. Rooting voids the warranty. I was talking to the manager of the VZW store I bought my phones at yesterday about this. He said he MUST report rooted phones customers bring in. He said failure to do so could cost him his job.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
He said he MUST report rooted phones customers bring in. He said failure to do so could cost him his job.
Wow, that seems a bit extreme - my warranty period is over so I will gladly bring my Rooted Droid into VZW...just to show it off - :wink:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just didn't know that me Rooting my Device could cost someone else their job :icon_eek:

Reaction score
I just didn't know that me Rooting my Device could cost someone else their job :icon_eek:

I was quite surprised when he said that as well. And it isn't the rooting of the device that is the issue, it would be the failure of an employee to report a phone under warranty has been rooted that is the issue.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Funny thing is that I'm a rooted corporate rep and both my managers and my DM know it! DM doesn't know I have Wireless Tether though! Haha!

DroidForums junkie!!

dcook12

Reaction score
Absolutely. Rooting voids the warranty. I was talking to the manager of the VZW store I bought my phones at yesterday about this. He said he MUST report rooted phones customers bring in. He said failure to do so could cost him his job.

This is really frustrating to me. They are the ones who allow you to be able to root, yet someone can lose their job for not reporting it? They need to realize that if they didn't want you to root, and they can't stop it then it is totally a problem with their software. To me it seems they want people to root and then steal their money by voiding their warranty. A brilliant money making plan...thanks for letting me vent:icon_eek:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You couldn't be more wrong! Verizon does NOT want us rooting our phones! The manufacturers don't either (hence the locked bootloaders)! Your mentality completely goes against what that manager said! Developers allow us to root, not Verizon!

This is really frustrating to me. They are the ones who allow you to be able to root, yet someone can lose their job for not reporting it? They need to realize that if they didn't want you to root, and they can't stop it then it is totally a problem with their software. To me it seems they want people to root and then steal their money by voiding their warranty. A brilliant money making plan...thanks for letting me vent:icon_eek:

DroidForums junkie!!

dcook12

Reaction score
You couldn't be more wrong! Verizon does NOT want us rooting our phones! The manufacturers don't either (hence the locked bootloaders)! Your mentality completely goes against what that manager said! Developers allow us to root, not Verizon!

DroidForums junkie!!

Sorry...I didn't mean to upset you that much.....I guess my mentality was so way off....I apologize for my ignorance....I was merely pointing out that you can root your phone. Someone allows that to be a possibility.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No worries. Verizon IS money hungry, no doubt about that. Us being able to root, like I said, is because of the developers and the developers alone. Motorola and the others want it stopped but those guys keep finding ways around it! Haha! Honestly, half of the employees I work with (who own Android devices) don't even know what root means. Just today, a rep called me asking what the stock kernel for Froyo (FRG22D) was. I've been there a year and he's been there for 4. Unrooting before returning or taking our phones in is a good thing to do...even though most reps, managers, and even technicians wouldn't know root if it fell on them! Haha!!!

DroidForums junkie!!

dcook12

Reaction score
No worries. Verizon IS money hungry, no doubt about that. Us being able to root, like I said, is because of the developers and the developers alone. Motorola and the others want it stopped but those guys keep finding ways around it! Haha! Honestly, half of the employees I work with (who own Android devices) don't even know what root means. Just today, a rep called me asking what the stock kernel for Froyo (FRG22D) was. I've been there a year and he's been there for 4. Unrooting before returning or taking our phones in is a good thing to do...even though most reps, managers, and even technicians wouldn't know root if it fell on them! Haha!!!

DroidForums junkie!!

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't think of all of the parties involved. I understand the relationship much better and understand each one's motivation.