I booted into recovery and:
Wiped cache partition
Wiped data/factory reset
Choose -> Install
Allow update.zip Installation
Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
Rebooted
Bypassed activation screen

Used ADB to install a file manager (AndExplorer)
Browsed the system folders, found nothing but stock apps.
Nothing leftover, nothing in the apps drawer.
Totally clean, 100% stock.

Obviously the /system partition is completely wiped when applying the master file. There should be no traces of superuser or other root utilities.

Droids

Reaction score
Two more things...

I got the OTA update to FRG83D pretty quickly so after I was done poking around in the system I let the update install which went smoothly. All updated and still 100% stock.

Booted into stock recovery and the same 2 wipe options are there as are under SPRecovery, along with a wipe baseband option:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
wipe baseband data

So, tell me why someone cannot successfully wipe and install the FRG22D master, then update to FRG83D, using any of the three recoverys, and not be 100% stock?

Ok, check this...
Just for grins, while I was in stock FRG83D recovery (Android System Recovery <3e>), I wiped both partitions and attempted to install the master FRG22D update. This is where you can get the error 7...

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: !less_than_int(1281726300. getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

So apparently the 3e recovery will not allow you to go backwards to a previous build.

If you have already updated to Android 2.2.1, you may need to edit the buildprop file (be rooted) to fool recovery into thinking you're running 2.2 or earlier, OR use http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html to root 2.2.1 which will change the bootloader to SPRecovery and then you can apply FRG22D and update to FRG83D.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Nice work Droids. I'll have to look again at the MasterFRG22D files updater-script file to see if it issues the command to format system, as there's others who have done this method and still have Superuser in their app drawer. And what you said in an earlier post about just removing Superuser.apk and su is actually the shortcut but more 'techie' way to unroot.

However, I am wondering where or what you mean by this below. What is the logic to tell someone to root to go back to 2.2 to then upgrade to 2.2.1 when they start with 2.2.1? FRG22D=2.2. FRG83D=2.2.1

If you have already updated to Android 2.2.1, you may need to edit the buildprop file (be rooted) to fool recovery into thinking you're running 2.2 or earlier, OR use http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html to root 2.2.1 which will change the bootloader to SPRecovery and then you can apply FRG22D and update to FRG83D.

Droids

Reaction score
However, I am wondering where or what you mean by this below. What is the logic to tell someone to root to go back to 2.2 to then upgrade to 2.2.1 when they start with 2.2.1? FRG22D=2.2. FRG83D=2.2.1

I was thinking if someone was rooted and running 2.2.1 but wanted to return their phone to stock, they need to apply the master FRG22D and then the FRG83D update. My asumption was that the one click root methods leave a stock recovery in place, maybe they dont, I never used one. If they are rooted and running 2.2.1 and stock recovery, they are not going to be able to apply FRG22D in an effort to return to stock.

On a somewhat related note, I found the new market is not restoring my apps automatically. It only shows my paid apps, and I have to manually install them. None of my free apps are shown at all. Odd.

edbdroid

Reaction score
Just one problem...

Hi folks,

I apologize if this isn't the right place for this, but I have searched and not found anyone else asking this (unless I am using completely incorrect search strings)... Hopefully, since this thread is Droid 1 specific and is about unrooting, I'm not too far outta line.

I rooted my phone several months ago, and am running BB4 - and I can not get it to go away. Master reset in settings-privacy does nothing. Power on-X doesn't bring up any recovery, screen, just brings up the Motorola batwing, which stays on no matter how long I hold the X key, until I finally get tired of it. When I let go of the X, the phone boots back up normally.

Initially, I was just looking at changing to a different ROM, but ROM Manager wouldn't boot me back to recovery mode. Tried the Pwr-X combo after that. No love. Tried a master reset thru the phone itself. Nope, just boots right back up with all my stuff. Un/reinstalled ROM Manager, still no love.

I'm not experiencing any other trouble with my phone, but if I do, I'm afraid I won't be able to un-root to send it back to Verizon.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? It would be greatly appreciated!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Close enough for government work.

ROM Manager, as it does so often I can't believe people still use it, has lost your recovery image.

Open RM, scroll down, and flash alternate recovery. Now flash Clockwork at the top. Repeat both. If you want SPRecovery, flash alternate again. If you want Clockwork, flash CW again.

Now you should be able to install any ROM you want. If you still have trouble, please let us know.

Last edited:

edbdroid

Reaction score
Close enough for government work.

ROM Manager, as it does so often I cam't believe people still use it, has lost your recovery image.

Open RM, scroll down, and flash alternate recovery. Now flash Clockwork at the top. Repeat both. If you want SPRecovery, flash alternate again. If you want Clockwork, flash CW again.

Now you should be able to install any ROM you want. If you still have trouble, please let us know.

That worked perfectly! Thanks for the help and the quick response! I am a much happier camper...

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
ROM Manager, as it does so often I can't believe people still use it, has lost your recovery image.
I'm still not convinced if Rom Manager is the common denominator or the rom itself. Think to which roms people are running that report this problem in the rescue squad. BB and UD. Just my humble opinion.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
My asumption was that the one click root methods leave a stock recovery in place, maybe they dont, I never used one. If they are rooted and running 2.2.1 and stock recovery, they are not going to be able to apply FRG22D in an effort to return to stock.

Ah yes, now I see the logic in what you posted. And you are correct, NONE of the 'one click' root methods install a custom recovery, therefore leaving the user with the stock recovery which would not allow using the master FRG22D file even though it would pass the certs as the first thing it does is check the build.prop file. And I did look at the updater-scripts file and it does issue the command to format the system partition so in theory it _should_ remove all traces of root.

joeyx2

Reaction score
Have to use the dropbox one but when I went to install I got an error anyone else having this problem and how do I fix im using clockwork.

nohm

Reaction score
My phone screen doesn't turn on, but I can tell the phone is completely operational with the touch screen still responsive. I want to unroot my phone, but it looks like I need to do this blind. I have Clockwork Recovery installed, but I don't have the menu screens committed to memory. Could someone please provide me navigation instructions to get my way around Clockwork so that I could successfully unroot my phone? I just need instructions for navigating with the volume + camera buttons, so it should be an easy help. Any help would be appreciated!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Recommendation -- use RSD Lite or SBF Flash to flash a stock SBF onto your phone -- all you'll need to do is catch the boot. This method might be too difficult to do without being able to see the screen.

nohm

Reaction score
@furbearingmammal

Yeah, that looks like something I would need to do with the screen visible.

All I need are simple navigation instructions for getting my way around the Clockwork Recovery interface blind. Something like "press down twice and press the camera button...". I would think it'd be easy for someone with Clockwork on their phone to help me out this way. Either that, or just a map of the relevant menus to unroot (screenshots or text description is fine).