unroot after 2.2 update, Droid X

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jguinn2005, Oct 19, 2010.

1. jguinn2005

jguinn2005 New Member

I see all kinds of "unroot" or "factory reset" stuff flying around but nothing specific to me.

I rooted in 2.1 and then me being dumb and not knowing enough about this updated to 2.2. The phone still works but I no longer have root (understandable) however I still have the superuser permissions and such on my phone. I would like to reroot but I want to get it to "stock" 2.2 or even 2.1 if I have to before I go that far with it.

Please help!
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

Good luck and let us know how this comes out.
  3. jguinn2005

jguinn2005 New Member

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this. I toyed around with the idea for several days before saying to hell with it and going for it. Using the link in the post above I was able to complete the flash but not without some difficulties.

First - It is impossible to complete it on the phone with no computer if you rooted in 2.1, did the OTA update to 2.2 and then try to flash with just the phone. Won't work, don't waste your time. Use your computer to complete this process with RSD Lite.

Second - This is where it gets fun. DO NOT FLASH TO 2.1!!! I originally did this thinking "original stock has got to be the best way right?" WRONG! You will brick your phone! I did some research on the internet and everyone said that the phone is bricked, can't be fixed, blah blah blah.

Third - I had almost acknowledged the fact that I had ruined my phone when I thought, "Well if it is broken and I have to pay full retail for a new one ... I can't break it anymore so I'll mess with it some more." I Redid the whole process except this time I Flashed 2.2 and guess what ... it worked!!! The phone works beautifully with no issues.

Hope this helps someone in my shoes.