Unreal Engine 4 Shows Mind-Blowing Possibilities for Near-Future Games

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Here's a fun off topic story for you guys to marvel at on this fine Thursday.

If the video above is any indication, the future of video games looks amazing. What you see above is a real-time demo which was created by level designer and 3D artist Benoît Dereau. He is famous for his work on the game Dishonored. The title of the tech demo above is called “Unreal Paris,” and Dereau used the new Unreal Engine 4 to create the demo.

To be clear, the tech demo above runs in 720P resolution at 24fps, which is not what gamers typically are interested in; however, in the thread below we included a second version he did which runs at 1080P at 60fps. Either version shows off the incredible possibilities of what games will look like in the near-future. The realism is off the charts compared to anything else out there. We can't wait to see the games come out which will take full advantage of Unreal Engine 4.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's that second video at a higher resolution and framerate:

Here's his download link if you want to download the tech demo to try yourself: YouTube

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would be impressed if this was being rendered on a dual core Android device, because the Engine is just that good.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe in the future that will be possible, but I would bet it's a high-end PC setup to get these numbers.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
the first version still gave itself away there were just some things that, while looking amazing. still showed that it wasn't real.

the second one on the other hand, the movement is almost to smooth, kinda like when I first got a 120hz rv and it almost made me sick because of how little blur etc etc.

I can't wait until games look like movies,

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Indeed. This is getting really close!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well for me, it was pretty amazing and in fact I could almost feel the warmth of the Sun baking through the windows in some of those scenes. The multiple reflections and contour distortions through both the mirrors as well as the glass on the front of the paintings was quite impressive as well. Also contours of the tub, shadows and reflections of the light off the tub were impressive. The splash panel in the kitchen was another one where I felt it really did bring realism to the image, almost unbelievably real.

Two other things that impressed me where the attention to detail, such as the reflections off the base of the lamp early on in the scenes in the bedroom, and also perhaps more importantly than anything else was the attention to detail on the hardwood floor, varying colorful boards and varying light intensities of reflections and highlights as the camera moved about the room.

What I think makes us feel unnatural is that the camera as it were, is moving to smoothly as @liftedplane said. If they could create a pseudo handheld camera feeling, then I'm sure this could be passed off as a real house walkthrough and could easily show up on a Multiple Listing Service for a real estate listing. I can actually see something like this being used down the road to fabricate situation that never took place and really used to scam people out of lots of money in some way or another.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I found LOTS of flaws. One in particular and perhaps the most obvious of all is the missing camera man (me) and reflections of the mirror behind the camera in the mirror in front of the camera in the bathroom...

Where am I and any reflections in that mirror.JPG

Another similar one is in the kitchen and the backsplash is missing the camera in the reflection going back into the room behind the camera...
Where's the camera man..JPG

There are plenty like that. Another one I found is a disappearing bidet in the mirror reflection...

Disappearing bidet three.JPGDisappearing bidet two.JPG

Still, I loved it and it's easy to fool someone who doesn't know what they're looking at. Have already done it to people at work.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Real-time multidepth raytracing must still be impossible because the mirrors and chrome looked terrible, everything else was beautiful.

Thomas Hagewood

Reaction score
Indeed you need a high-end PC or high graphic PC setup to play this game someday. I agree with fox it has lot of flaws in the bathroom but all in all it's amazing.