Unpartition SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by compywiz, Jun 28, 2010.

1. compywiz

compywiz New Member

I used Rom Manager to partition my 16GB SD Card back when I wanted to use App2SD. Now that it isn't required anymore, I don't know how to get my space back. Is there an option in Rom Manager to remove it and I'm just not seeing it?

TIA.

Edit: I should also mention that I tried formatting the SD card from clockwork and android and all that does is format the 14.8GB partition for me.
  2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Your best bet is to do it from a PC. Make sure you make a backup of everything on the card first.
  3. compywiz

compywiz New Member

Sorry, but do what from a PC? What tool should I use? I see the disk in computer management and it shows the partitions, but if I delete the ext partition, I cant expand or delete/recreate the main fat32 one.
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Delete both partitions and create a new fat32 partition. Make sure you backed up all your data from the original fat32 partition, first, of course.
  5. compywiz

compywiz New Member

Yeah, thats part of the problem. In disk management, I can't delete the 14gb partition so I can then recreate a fat32 spanning the entire disk. Any idea why?
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I'm not a windows user, so I don't know why that wouldn't be allowed. Perhaps somebody can recommend a third party disk partition utility that will let you? Maybe having the SD card directly in the PC is different than having it connected via USB?
  7. compywiz

compywiz New Member

Is there possibly some commands I can enter into terminal on the droid to partition it right on there? If rom manager does it, there must be a way right?
  8. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

Try paragon partition manager 9. Google to find it for the excellent price of $0.00!
  9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

indeed, I'm looking into it right now. I see that in /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/files/ there are a number of utilities, including parted, which is the utility you need to manage partitions.

/data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/files/parted --help

Gives you a large number of options, definitely including the ones you will need.

Code:
    [B]parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print[/B]

Lists off my 3 partitions (fat32, ext2 apps2sd, 128mb swap)

From the looks of it, you should be able to use the "rm" option to remove partitions and then the "mkpart" option to create a new single partition that covers the whole SD card. I haven't tried it myself, so I recommend:
    A). back up the droid to the SD card
    B). back up everything on the SD card to a PC
    C). unmount the SD card
    D). delete all three partitions
    E). create a new partition the full size of the SD card
    F). Not sure if you need to actually format the partition or if the droid will do that on its own when you reboot. There isn't an mkfs.vfat included with rommanager, so you might need to do that on a PC, still. I would guess that the droid has the ability to auto-partition and format a new card built in

THIS IS JUST MY GUESS:
    Code:
    parted /dev/mmcblk0 rm 0
    parted /dev/mmcblk0 rm 1
    parted /dev/mmcblk0 rm 2
    parted /dev/mmcblk0 mkpartfs primary fat32 0s -1s

10. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

I don't think you can use parted to remove partitions or create partitions from terminal since the sdcard is mounted to the phone. You could do it from recovery but none of the current droid recovery.img's have a terminal buit into them like the G1 and other phones have.
  11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Settings | SD card & phone storage settings has an option for unmounting the SD card for safe removal (ironic, since there's no way to remove it without removing the battery - but I suppose this option was written into AndroidOS without assuming that the SD card would be under the battery). When you do that, the /dev/block/mmcblk0 device no longer shows up as mounted when you type "df". It also allows you to format the card without rebooting into recovery. It looks like this is how ROM Manager does it, but perhaps it triggers a series of scripts to run when it reboots into recovery? I haven't tried this myself, of course - perhaps it would work from an ADB console if it didn't work from the terminal emulator.
  12. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

Oh yeah lol forgot about unmounting the sdcard from settings.

I tried to use parted from adb when partitioning of the sdcard for app2sd on the droid came up. I couldn't get it to work. It would always tell me parted wasn't found even though I had it in /system/xbin/ and could run it from terminal emulator. I just tried the parted file that you had found I. Moved it to /system/xbin/ and tried to run it from terminal and it says device not found? The parted I used to have would bring up options?

But anyway paragon is easy to use and will do what you want. I partitioned my sdcard with it but didn't like the size and used paragon to unpartition my sdcard.

Edit: it seems like its been so long since I partitioned my sdcard. But I seem to recall rom manager reboots into recovery to create the ext partitions.
  13. motodroid34

motodroid34 New Member

The way I would do it is by connecting the sd to my pc then going to my computer look for that drive (e) or (F) whatever then right click on it and click on format.

Have you try that?
  14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Code:
    parted --help 

gives the help screen, Without any options, it's expecting a device node to come first.

I see no reason why using parted wouldn't work from the terminal, but I'm not going to try it out until I back up my SD card :)
  15. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

This will format the fat32 partition. A pc with windows won't recognize the ext partitions since they are linux partitions.

Haha Se7en. All that work just to see if it works from terminal! I'm impressed!
  16. motodroid34

motodroid34 New Member

Yeap you right. :)
    And now that I think about I did the same think so I will try to do it mu self some how today when I get home.
    Dont have any idea right now on how I will do that. :)
  17. compywiz

compywiz New Member

I seem to be having the worst time finding this... 9 Seems to be an outdated version and they only have 11, which doesn't support 64 bit for free.
  18. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

Ill pm you
  19. snowman

snowman Member

after backing up all you want to keep
    stick it in a micro Sd holder, the holder is a sd size card
    stick it in the computer, right click it -hit format, and select Fat32 as the type it will reformat the whole card eliminating all the current partitions, to one big 16 gig one
    simple thats it
    move you junk you saved back to the bigger formatted card
  20. compywiz

compywiz New Member

Used linux and gparted, took 30 mins to download burn run complete, much better than wasting my time.

Thanks for your help guys.
Search tags for this page
cara unpartition sd card
cara unpartition sd card android
how to un partition sd card on phone
how to unpartition a micro sd card
how to unpartition a sd card
how to unpartition an sd card
how to unpartition micro sd card

how to unpartition sd card

how to unpartition sd card android
how to unpartition sd card win 7