Unofficial Battery Life Thread

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by jbrtzfldr, Aug 31, 2010.

1. jbrtzfldr

jbrtzfldr New Member

I've noticed that battery life is a common conversation topic on these forums, so I figured it would be nice to aggregate all of that into one thread. You can post the amount of battery life you can get using different combinations.

My most recent battery discharge lasted 24 hours with minimal usage, but that included a 30 minute GPS run with RunKeeper. I'm using P3Droid's 250-1100mhz kernel. I am using SetCPU on interactive with a 250mhz minimum when the screen is off.

One thing to remember though, most of the battery is drained by the display and not the CPU. Go into Settings > About phone > Battery usage and you will see what I mean. The longer your display is on, the less life it will have.

Discuss! :icon_wink:
  2. *86eyerok*

*86eyerok* New Member

I am running the Simply Stunning v4.7 rom as well and had my droid last almost 48 hours without charging, with minimal use like text messaging and what not. I am using the SetCPU app and am running 250mhz min and 800mhz max. I have always noticed rooted or not that the display uses a large portion of the battery. I even have my screen brightness turned all the way down.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  3. Fault

Fault New Member

My highest is actually my voicecalls, any ideas why?
  4. joshk

joshk New Member

You talk a lot and the screen is off when its up to your face. :)

JOSH
  5. RashAPu

RashAPu New Member

Using SS 4.7, Battery will be at 90% when unplugged for about an hour, 80% at 2. Screen is set off after 15 seconds, display is my biggest battery eater... I am starting to think I have a bad cell in my battery.
  6. razorseal

razorseal New Member

I actually don't have great battery life, but I doubt it's the roms or kernels... I think my battery is starting to get tired

barely used my phone today (about 15 texts, maybe like GPS for 20 mins, browsing the net for 10 mins) been unplugged since 0740. it's now 1710 and it's at 40%
  7. trol1374

trol1374 New Member

That is what mine does also.
  8. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

The GPS and the browser are by far the biggest drains on the battery next to the display. Unfortunately the Droid phones don't have the battery saving technology behind them that phones like the Droid 2 and X have. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't trade my phone for nothing I had VZW reps try and get me to upgrade to the 2 or X.

In any case little usage like 20 or 30 mins on GPS and the web will surely impact your battery. Also having a lot of apps that check for updates frequently will also impact your battery life. My fix for the app updates is using a data toggle switch to control when my phone can access the web, without compromising receiving text messages.
  9. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Mine also.

Most of it is taken up by the phone trying to get a 3g signal since I live in a plaster house.

When I'm out it lasts longer.

10. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

Every phone no matter what branding or carrier will do this. I live in BFE and have NO 3G in a 15 mile radius of where i live (****ty i know) When Im home my phone drains within a day. Lasts almost 2 days when i hve a solid signal. But thats what chargers are for right? =]
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  11. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

Some one should tell my brother, he never remembers to charge his phone. Every day his phone runs out of juice, and we all say ' did you plug in your phone?' He just looks sheepish and shruges. Even his boss is getting into the act, ' you know most people before they go to bed put their phone on the charger' My brother says that isn't how he rolls.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. razorseal

razorseal New Member

Well can we make it so that the phone can be blocked from using the internet with some apps? I would still it like it to check my emails and have mobile defense up for data usage, but I don't need it checking for updates unless I'm home!
  13. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

You can turn sync off. Don't think there is a way to "block" certain applications from using a data connect.
  14. en28so

en28so New Member

well you guys are getting great battery life compared to me. I barely get 3hrs of life. My phone isn't even that old(about 2 and a haf months old). I think it all started when i got rooted and jumped on the froyo wagon. How about getting an extra capacity battery? will that make y phone more bulky?
  15. stragabenz

stragabenz New Member

Man that really sucks man sorry to hear that. I have great battery life with SS 4.7 my droid last all day long with medium to heavy usage. If you a battery with extra capacity it will add more bulk and it will stick out then it normally would if it was stock.

I suggest going back to bare stock if you think its a ROM issue. I highly doubt that its from the ROM or rooting. If your battery only last 3hrs there is something seriously wrong with your battery or droid. Have you checked your battery usage in settings lately to see whats eating it up so quickly?
  16. en28so

en28so New Member

yeah i did, and it said display, so i lowered my birghtness to 10%, with no luck.
  17. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT New Member

You are probably like me and stuck with the OTA update loop of death. I haven't figured out how to stop it, but my phone constantly downloads the OTA update over and over, bringing my battery down in like 3 hours.
  18. heavyvino

heavyvino Member

My bigest draw is a work when I run my blue tooth and Pandora, that 5 hr draw is more than the 8hrs before it.

:pint:
  19. stragabenz

stragabenz New Member

If im not mistaken if your on a custom ROM if you let it download then let it install it will actually fail then it wont asked you to download it again. Search around the forums Ive seen people mentioning it before.
  20. SwinePunk

SwinePunk New Member

I'm going to go ahead and make this the official battery life thread