Unoffical Bionis vs Thunderbolt

rumblee1

Reaction score
Based on 2 things, I waited for bionic. 1-the horror stories of battery longevity in the thunderbolt(or should I say the lack of). And 2-even though HTC is a good product, the build quality isn't up to moto's yet. One more thing to keep in mind, is that calls are much more clear on a moto phone compared to HTC. Just about every article on the net that test HTC phones comments about this.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
correct about build quality. i got my wife and daughter an eris at release and it was the worst mistake I've ever made phone wise. The next worse was a POS samsung (before smart phones). Moto's are built to military specs and it shows.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fact is the bionic was an outdated phone before it even came out.

So was the Thunderbolt going by that logic. Guess they do have something in common, huh...lol

Complaints about the screen are going to be in the eye of the beholder I guess. The Bionic's higher resolution makes the screen look much sharper and it seems like you get more real estate on web pages and such. Being able to see the screen outside is nice too. That was one of main complaints about the TB. Unless I had the brightness way turned up or auto brightness always on, I could never see it on sunny days. We have a lot of sunny days in San Diego. I found the Thunderbolt speaker so be very crackly. My DX had crystal clear call quality and great speaker.. With the Bionic, I get that back.

Yes, the Thunderbolt takes better pictures.

You're completely wrong if you think the *only* good thing the Bionic has is the battery lol. The HDMI mirroring and webtop are awesome. I understand you might not need those features, but they do work great.

Also, the processor and 1GB of ram give this phone monster speed and power. I tried to lag the phone the day I got it by downloaded and installing like 30 apps at once. The phone just kept chugging along like nothing. On my TB, if I had more than 3 or 4 things downloading/installing at once, the phone would start to seriously lag.

But like I said, if you're happy with the TB that's cool. It's actually a decent phone. I didnt *need* to get a Bionic, but Im the kind of person who likes latest and greatest tech gadgets. I could have stayed with the TB for another year or more and been just fine. If you dont like the Bionic, no one is going to come to the TB forum and troll you by saying, "OMG YOU SUCK,, YOU NEED TEH BIONICE!*#!" (hopefully, they wont...but I can still see that happening)

Dont know why people take these phones so personal. They're just phones lol.

Very ...well .....said.

Like I mentioned in one of those topics below about something about the Bionic sucks....every phone has pros n cons. Moto was never known for having a good camera. IMO the DX1 had one, hear good things about the Photons...and as hard as it is for some ppl to believe....I've seen some decent ons from the Bionic in other forums.

With the Bionic....with many ppl its gonna be like how the Cnet reviewer said: "We have to admit that we didn't want to like the Motorola Droid Bionic. After so many months of waiting, we were prepared to be disappointed." Even tho going by reviews is always a grain of salt thing...their review was ok....but they updated it after doing additional tests and gave it an Editors Choice.

One reviewer said: "So you ask, what’s great about the Motorola DROID BIONIC? Well, it’s the one handset that’s actually able to combine everything perfectly into one device"

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
I actually think the build quality of the thunderbolt is better than the bionic. I normally prefer motorola in this department, but to me it felt cheap.
Another thing about me is that I like heavy phones.
And call quality on this phone is not bad at all

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually think the build quality of the thunderbolt is better than the bionic. I normally prefer motorola in this department, but to me it felt cheap.

I was shocked to see dimensions of the Bionic and its lighter than I woulda thought. I like a phone with some weight on it too.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score

Yes, the TB is heavier but a few things always made mine feel cheap. The light bleeding from the capacitive buttons and the power button on top always sinking in.

When I press the power button on the Bionic, there is a nice tactile "click"..

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wonder how many tb fans on here never held a bionic lol... i don't care either way im a huge fan of the bionic and it's a lot better than my friends tb

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Wonder how many tb fans on here never held a bionic lol... i don't care either way im a huge fan of the bionic and it's a lot better than my friends tb

Held it. Played with it. Put it down after five minutes. Better is an opinion. If it was so clearly better I would have bought it...and as I've stated before, I have three upgrades. Enough for bionic, vigor, prime. And I don't wanna waste one on the bionic. And if it was so clearly better all these people wouldn't be complaining about different things here. Repeated problems like the screen. As soon as someone mentions the terrible screen though someone comes out and says "ye but I can see mine when its 120 degrees out and the sun is right over my head". Or the camera.

Maybe I played with a bad device at the store, but I felt lag when moving through the home screens and there was absolutely no widgets on the screens.

And it scares me to buy a phone that was due to come out a year ago.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Held it. Played with it. Put it down after five minutes. Better is an opinion. If it was so clearly better I would have bought it...and as I've stated before, I have three upgrades. Enough for bionic, vigor, prime. And I don't wanna waste one on the bionic. And if it was so clearly better all these people wouldn't be complaining about different things here. Repeated problems like the screen. As soon as someone mentions the terrible screen though someone comes out and says "ye but I can see mine when its 120 degrees out and the sun is right over my head". Or the camera.

Maybe I played with a bad device at the store, but I felt lag when moving through the home screens and there was absolutely no widgets on the screens.

And it scares me to buy a phone that was due to come out a year ago.

They can Just as easily trade it in if its so bad but i doubt even 1% will... its a fantastic phone... and stock vs stock the bionic running 4g lasts longer then the tb running 3g... i did the comparo w my friend.... im not here trying to sell phones.. its a great product.. the bionic took way to long and the tb was rushed out.... both either way have their issues

drocksmash

Reaction score

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Didnt read all the posts, but I am pretty sure I have proven one thing about the tbolt vs the bionic and that the TB gets faster downloads and better signal.
I am keeping the bionic, but I have now had 2 bionics and both do not have 4g where the tbolt did, and both never peak over 10mb/s when the tbolt was never under 15mb/s

here is my post

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-tech-support/170734-4g-quality-sub-par.html

And how many mins did the tb have 4g before the battery died lol kiddingggg

Theres a lot more 4g users now.... mine never goes under 10... peak so far 22.. im sure they will have updates that help and ill be sure to test it vs a tb next weekend in my area

drocksmash

Reaction score
I gave the TB to my girlfriends mom, side by side i tested them 20mb/s versus 6 mb/s (which is fine, still plenty speed)

The biggest gripe i have is that now i have no 4g in my work (did with the bolt) because while tethering on 3g text messages/phone calls break the data connections interrupting all those video games!

drice72

Reaction score
I never base my opinion of a phone on the store display. I went and looked at the DB, and my D1 was killing it. The people in the stores don't know how to set up a phone, and then a horde of people who know nothing about phones come in and play with them. I wait (if that is an option) until someone I know gets it. Then I really get to play with the phone and see what it is capable of. My gf has a TB. That phone sucked in the store. I get her phone home set it up. She loves it, and, I admit it is a nice device. I have till November so I'm gonna chill and see what this Droid Prime is all about.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

drocksmash

Reaction score
I never base my opinion of a phone on the store display. I went and looked at the DB, and my D1 was killing it. The people in the stores don't know how to set up a phone, and then a horde of people who know nothing about phones come in and play with them. I wait (if that is an option) until someone I know gets it. Then I really get to play with the phone and see what it is capable of. My gf has a TB. That phone sucked in the store. I get her phone home set it up. She loves it, and, I admit it is a nice device. I have till November so I'm gonna chill and see what this Droid Prime is all about.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

if this was directed at me,
i didnt test them at the store. bought the bionic, then returned for a brand new one. then at their house I ran speed test on em.