unmount SD card / format greyed out

Hexus

Reaction score
under SD and phone storage I noticed that unmount SD card is greyed out and thus format sd card is too.
Why is this and how would I go about unmounting my card so that I can format it? fix permissions didn't work

running the latest CM with smoked glass esque

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
under SD and phone storage I noticed that unmount SD card is greyed out and thus format sd card is too.
Why is this and how would I go about unmounting my card so that I can format it? fix permissions didn't work

running the latest CM with smoked glass esque

are you running apps2sd? that might have something to do with it. it's grayed out for me as well - but since it's loading apps from sd-ext, it probably forbids you from unmounting (and obviously formatting) the card.

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score
I was but it was acting weird...
I had to restore a previous backup last night and so when I upgraded to the latest cyanogen I choose to wipe data and cache just for the heck of it. It worked but it didn't save any of my apps from the sd card like I thought it was supposed to.

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score
I think I hosed up some stuff.... how can I just go back to the stock 16 gig and no partitions?

I can't find a way to delete the EXT partition at all

GoGators

Reaction score
I think I hosed up some stuff.... how can I just go back to the stock 16 gig and no partitions?

Go to control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management, then go to your card, delete the partition, and then reformat it. Good luck! I did this just last night.

Edit: Obviously with your card mounted to the PC!

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score

Go to control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management, then go to your card, delete the partition, and then reformat it. Good luck! I did this just last night.

are you talking about doing this from a card reader? Because if I try from the phone the sd card auto unmounts itself when I go into disk management.

it shows up as a removable disk but I can't do anything at all to it.

Last edited:

GoGators

Reaction score

are you talking about doing this from a card reader? Because if I try from the phone the sd card auto unmounts itself when I go into disk management.

it shows up as a removable disk but I can't do anything at all to it at all.

Yes, take the card out of your phone, put it directly into the computer however you need to adapt it, and do it. I formated from the computer, and then again in the phone before restoring my backup.

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score
There is no other way to delete the EXT partition? I don't have a card reader to do this with

GoGators

Reaction score
There is no other way to delete the EXT partition? I don't have a card reader to do this with

I do not know of another way. This one worked. I have an SD port native in my PC. All I needed was the adapter to go up to the full size SD (which I had too).

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Backup your apps with MyBackup or Titanium, or do a full nandroid backup.

Then uncheck Apps2sd, and see if it allows you to format.

GoGators

Reaction score

Tried that. Mine was still greyed out. I asked about this several times on this forum and got no response so I figured it out on my own. I would like to know if there is another viable solution.

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score

tried that, and nope....

in clockwork I found where I can format the ext partition, but I want to totally delete it, format the entire card and start over. (without having to use a card reader)

someone please help out with this?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

tried that, and nope....

in clockwork I found where I can format the ext partition, but I want to totally delete it, format the entire card and start over. (without having to use a card reader)

someone please help out with this?

there's got to be a way to do this through adb, but unfortunately I'm not familiar enough. basically if you can run fdisk on the card you could get rid of the partition.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
sort of a brain dead thing I can think of is to flash an older version of CM that didn't have apps2sd - that should allow you to format the card, hopefully.

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score
sort of a brain dead thing I can think of is to flash an older version of CM that didn't have apps2sd - that should allow you to format the card, hopefully.

might do that.... seems like a pain in the butt though. I know there's got to be a way, it's just that I don't know how.