unlocking verizon s4

droidworld

Reaction score
Ok new questions fellas and ladies. I went into tmobile and the rep explained to me that s4 under verizon can not be unlocked and used under tmobile service only at&t. Is this true?

galaxy s4

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
VZW is CDMA and TMO is GSM two different technologies. NOW, VZW boasts that their phones are World Phones and can be used on a GSM network.

First thing to check is if your phone has a SIM slot. If so it most likely has dual radios and should work on TMO.

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
VZW is CDMA and TMO is GSM two different technologies. NOW, VZW boasts that their phones are World Phones and can be used on a GSM network.

First thing to check is if your phone has a SIM slot. If so it most likely has dual radios and should work on TMO.

Thanks for responding. My phone does have a sim card slot.

galaxy s4

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If the phone does have dual radios it should work.

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
I thought there was a SIM slot under the cover near the MicroSD card?

It does have a slim slot. I guess reading around in haven't heard anyone confirm that they unlocked a Verizon s4.

galaxy s4

Reaction score
Most of the phone sold in the US these days are unlocked. You could try calling Verizon to confirm that.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Verizon phones are usually locked, so yeah, definitely give them a call to confirm.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

tap'n

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
Verizon phones are usually locked, so yeah, definitely give them a call to confirm.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

tap'n

I was able to get my phone unlocked. I just yelped cell phone unlock and called the guy who was very helpful. It was explained to me that some phones are configured for you not to unlock. Fortunately for me it worked out. He also tested with a tmobile sim and my phone clearly said tmobile on it. Very pleased. Thanks for looking out again guys and gals

galaxy s4

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
Yes. Just waiting on my sim card then will cancel verizon. I hope all my apps work under t mobile. .

galaxy s4

ktklein72

Reaction score
Yes. Just waiting on my sim card then will cancel verizon. I hope all my apps work under t mobile. .

galaxy s4

I inquired with T-Mo a few weeks back about switching over to them and the rep who was otherwise extremely helpful told me our existing S4 phones could not be transferred over but our 1 iPhone 5 could. This information seems to contradict that. I may have to dig further on this as this could save me even more $$$ if I can move my 3 S4s over when I switch instead of trading-in and rebuying them.

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
I inquired with T-Mo a few weeks back about switching over to them and the rep who was otherwise extremely helpful told me our existing S4 phones could not be transferred over but our 1 iPhone 5 could. This information seems to contradict that. I may have to dig further on this as this could save me even more $$$ if I can move my 3 S4s over when I switch instead of trading-in and rebuying them.

I was told the exact same thing as you were. Honestly each rep seems to have something different to say. I would contact a cell phone repair place in your area (yelp it). And ask them if it is possible. The guy who worked on my phone did mention that for some reason not all s4 on Verizon can be unlocked and that some are more challenging than others. Mine happen to be an easy fix for him.. you might get the same luck. This was a money saving situation for me as well.

galaxy s4