Unlocking The Moto X Pure 2015 Bootloader!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This is how I wish all OEMs would sell their phones, direct and without carrier interaction. I have no idea why all OEMs will not adopt this policy of inserting every radio for every carrier and then just selling their phones carrier unlocked. When you buy an unlocked device from an OEM it comes with an unlockable bootloader. This makes your device super developer friendly. Generally these developer friendly devices end up getting lots of Roms and mods.

The new Moto X Pure from Motorola will be fully bootloader unlockable. According to reports unlocking the bootloader won't even void the warranty. If this is true good on Motorola! Unlocking your bootloader is pretty simple, but you will need to be familiar with adb and fastboot commands.

-Grab the Motorola drivers (alternatively you can turn on usb debugging and plug your phone into PC the drivers will install automagically.)
-Grab ADB (alternatively you could install the full SDK)
- With usb debugging on connect phone to PC, in command prompt type "adb reboot bootloader"
-Navigate to the ADB folder on your PC, hold shift key, right click, selcet "oppen command prompt here"
-In command prompt type "fastboot oem get_unlock_data"
-copy and paste the code shown into a notepad
-Go to Motorola's page create or login to your account
-paste code and click "can my device be unlocked"
-agree to terms, click "request unlock key"
-Motorola will email you the Key
-in command prompt type "fastboot oem unlock YOURKEY" without quotations and replace YOURKEY with your unlock key that was emailed to you
-enjoy!

TatDroid

Reaction score

I have no idea why all OEMs will not adopt this policy of inserting every radio for every carrier and then just selling their phones carrier unlocked.
The biggest reason is simple business economics - 90% (or more) of smartphone sales are people walking into their carrier store and buying a) an iPhone or b) whatever looks pretty or is recommended by the sales associate.

That's why manufacturers sell their phones through carrier stores. And carriers want, and often require, phones locked to their network. But, as carriers drop 2 year contracts we're probably (hopefully!) going to see more manufacturers bypassing the carriers.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The biggest reason is simple business economics - 90% (or more) of smartphone sales are people walking into their carrier store and buying a) an iPhone or b) whatever looks pretty or is recommended by the sales associate.

Sent from my Droid Turbo
The end user should still have the option. 90% would never use it. Like the Red Key on the Boss 302 Mustang. Some don't know about it but those of us that do want it!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The red 302$ for programming, key...that's a pretty special key

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That it is. And my unlocked bootloader is as special as well.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So this bootloader locking is prevalent to most OEMs? I've not dealt with it before using mostly international versions of Samsung's phones. My U.S. TMO Sammy phone wasn't locked either.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
So this bootloader locking is prevalent to most OEMs? I've not dealt with it before using mostly international versions of Samsung's phones. My U.S. TMO Sammy phone wasn't locked either.
T-mobile is the only carrier with unlocked phones.. HTC has provided unlocked access to their phones from their website.. It's good to see Motorola providing it for this phone..

NexusSix

jsandy

Reaction score
Does this mean that if I buy the Moto X Pure from Amazon (for instance) and unlock the bootloader per the instructions, that it will still work with my Verizon unlimited account?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
The new Moto X Pure from Motorola will be fully bootloader unlockable. According to reports unlocking the bootloader won't even void the warranty. If this is true good on Motorola! Unlocking your bootloader is pretty simple, but you will need to be familiar with adb and fastboot commands.
It shouldn't void your warranty, with an unlocked bootloader it makes it very very difficult to fully 100% brick your device and NOT be able to save it.... if you do manage to brick the device 100% with an unlocked bootloader then congrats.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I too love what Motorola has done with their devices (carrier freedom is hopefully the wave of the future). As a matter of fact, the Galaxy S4 was the only non-Moto device I've had beginning with the OG Droid. If not for digging the Nexus 6, the Pure would 'purely' be my device of choice........ nuff said. :D

Reactions: cr6