unlocking a phone while on a call

cchhiipp

Reaction score
Here's a specific thing that hope I can do something about.

My phone has the lock turned on with the pattern lock.

So while its screen is off, I get a phone call. The caller needs somebody's number so I go to look it up. Of course, I have to unlock the screen to get the contacts, which is a good thing. I browse to the contact, then put the phone up to my ear to speak again. Then I remove it again to read off the contact.

Of course, putting the phone to my face has turned off the screen, and when it comes back on, I need to key in my pattern lock again to get back to my contacts.

So, after all that, I guess my question is: can I have my phone set so that during a call once I pattern-unlock my phone, it stays unlocked until that call is finished, even if the screen shuts off due to me putting the phone to my face?

Is there a native setting for that, or an app perhaps? Thanks!

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
Thanks, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I do like the fact that the screen shuts of while the phone is at my face. It's just wasted battery life otherwise.

Mostly, I'd prefer to not unlock the phone more than once during a call.

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
That's odd, then. I had to unlock my phone twice during the call. Once to look up the contact, and a second time after the screen was blanked. I'll try to reproduce it.

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
OK, here's how it works. If I'm on the call and I hit the "back" button, I get to my home screen without the lock screen. However, if I'm on a call and I hit the home button, I get the lock screen.

Is that the way it's supposed to work? Seems like one or the other is a bug?

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK, here's how it works. If I'm on the call and I hit the "back" button, I get to my home screen without the lock screen. However, if I'm on a call and I hit the home button, I get the lock screen.

Is that the way it's supposed to work? Seems like one or the other is a bug?
ok that's interesting. so what you're saying is, the phone is definitely unlocked while you're in a call, but when you want to do something else, the home buttom takes you to the lock screen.

is this specifically when receiving a call or anytime?

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
This is all during a call. My phone was pattern locked when the phone rang..

I can answer the call normally by sliding the green button to the right. This brings me to the phone screen, where I can mute, speaker, dialpad, etc.

From here, during the call, if I tap the "back" button, it takes me to my homescreen with no lockout.

Alternately, from the phone screen, if I tap the "home" button, it takes me to my pattern lock screen. Once I unlock it from there, I'm freeto browse around, until I blank the screen again, at which point it's either the "back" button to get to the home screen or "home" to get to the pattern lock screen again.

Edited to add: yes, only when receiving calls and only when it's locked when the call comes in.

At this point, knowing the back button gets me around the lock works for me. But I'm happy to troubleshoot with you just to solve it if you want.

Last edited:

PJ_ED

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. My phone goes to lockout mode anytime I activate the proximity sensor, ie. put it to my face. Then I have to enter my unlock pattern, every time, even if the screen is blacked for only a second... Annoying. It started doing this after installing Screebl. I uninstalled Screeble but still had the same problem. Not sure if its related.

PJ_ED

Reaction score
OK, I was just playing around with the phone and i think I fixed my problem. I disabled the pattern lock feature, tried the phone and it worked fine with no lock out as expected. I then re-enabled the pattern lockout, tried the phone and it seems to be working fine now, with no lockout. I don't have to re-enter the pattern every time I pull the phone from my face anymore. :) That is with Screebl running too. Good, because I like Screebl.

Bottom line if anybody reading this has this problem. Disable the pattern lock, then enable again. Worked for me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fact that you can answer a call (while locked) by simply 'swiping' means the OS is doing as it should, by default, disabling the 'lock screen' (your pattern lock). It's odd that it would re establish the lock screen while the call is still on going, since it clearly disabled it for you to answer the phone call in the first place.

PJ_ED

Reaction score
Hmmm, now that you mention it, I can only recall this being a problem for me when I made calls. It has only been happening for a day, after installing Screeble yesterday...??? I now wish I had the problem again so I could test receiving calls. Darn!!