Unlocked HTC Rezound on Straight Talk.

Epic

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got an HTC rezound, I was hoping for at least the GS2 but this will do.

I bought the phone on ebay and it was advertised as "Unlocked" So I bought it with the intentions of Using Straight Talk plan on it, since its Unlocked. Can this work? I kinda have the phone now, and I already bought a $30 ST Card from Walmart.

Sorry is 3AM but, I read on ST site that you need to have one of their SIM cards. However in the process of continuing to check out for the SIM card, I come across a message saying this Sim Cards

From Straight Talk Site "To Activate your service, you will need a Service PIN. You may purchase a Service PIN with a Debit card or Credit card.
You will need a compatible GSM T-Mobile phone. You may also use an Unlocked GSM phone compatible with T-Mobile.
This program/offering does not work with Straight Talk, TracFone, NET10, SafeLink, Telcel America, and/or CDMA phones (i.e. Sprint, Metro PCS).
No Refunds will be issued for this SIM Card or Airtime PIN purchases."

I am confused, as of what I need to buy. Much less if it will even work. Ugh can someone help me here with this mess? I don't speak this language yet, meaning I don't know all the terminology and how it interacts with other things.

Thanks!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, buying an unlocked Verizon phone for use on any network(other than Verizon) is typically not the best idea. Remember an unlocked bootloader is completely different from an unlocked phone. However you are in luck. The Rezound is one of the few "Global capable" Verizon phones. You will however need the Global Rezound update which I believe is 4.03.605.2 AAAAANNNNNDDDDD you should use one of the Global ready ROMs. There are a few running around these days and unfortunately I can't comment on them because I haven't used any....I'll add links in at the bottom for ease of reading..

Rezound Global RUU: [Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12)
ICS Global ROMs: Rezound Android Development - xda-developers

OP
Epic

Epic

Reaction score
Thanks!

Oh great! Thanks dancedroid I can't wait to get this phone activated. I get my normal Size SIM card in 4 days. I am getting a $45 dollar plan tomorrow for Straight talk from Walmart :biggrin:

I hope I dont have any trouble, coming from a Droid 3, I am really enjoying this phone, even though the Rezound released only 4 months after the Droid came out, however between both phones, I find the Rezound to be superior, and still a good phone, despite its almost 1 year and a half soon, since it released.

EDIT: Yes, the sim is for Straight Talk

acejavelin

Reaction score
You will likely have issues with SMS messaging (ie. text messaging), although that was with earlier ROMs... if you do, search Rezound on Straight Talk on XDA and you will find many threads where this is addressed and fixed. The Rez has been used by people on Straight Talk since very early Global Mode ROMs were available.

OP
Epic

Epic

Reaction score
You will likely have issues with SMS messaging (ie. text messaging), although that was with earlier ROMs... if you do, search Rezound on Straight Talk on XDA and you will find many threads where this is addressed and fixed. The Rez has been used by people on Straight Talk since very early Global Mode ROMs were available.

I wonder how much work will it take to get it set up and running with everything working properly. I watch all these Youtube videos of young kids doing this stuff like its nothing, I just feel bad and smh and say wow lol.

I am really not familiarized wtih ANYTHING regarding Rooting, Roms, etc. Like I know what Rooting is, because I did one click root on my Droid 3 and installed super user. Other than being able to uninstall built in apps, I found no use for it. How would it be for me, being a novice to do all that stuff, so I can have full functionality of my Rez on ST?

acejavelin

Reaction score
I wonder how much work will it take to get it set up and running with everything working properly. I watch all these Youtube videos of young kids doing this stuff like its nothing, I just feel bad and smh and say wow lol.

I am really not familiarized wtih ANYTHING regarding Rooting, Roms, etc. Like I know what Rooting is, because I did one click root on my Droid 3 and installed super user. Other than being able to uninstall built in apps, I found no use for it. How would it be for me, being a novice to do all that stuff, so I can have full functionality of my Rez on ST?
If you are on 4.5.605.14 (Global Mode OTA), then I would insert your Straight Talk GSM SIM, boot up, go to Settings->Mobile Networks->Preferred Network and change it to GSM/UMTS (or maybe even Global) and start making some test calls, texts, MMS, emails, etc. and see what happens. I honestly don't know anyone who has tried it on the new ROM, but in theory it should just work. Report back with any issues or problems and we can go from there.

Do be honest, I am considering doing this as well since my contract is almost up and T-Mobile is nowhere within 200 miles of where I live (Verizon and AT&T are only options) but it won't be til August.

Last edited:
OP
Epic

Epic

Reaction score
If you are on 4.5.605.14 (Global Mode OTA), then I would insert your Straight Talk GSM SIM, boot up, go to Settings->Mobile Networks->Preferred Network and change it to GSM/UMTS (or maybe even Global) and start making some test calls, texts, MMS, emails, etc. and see what happens. I honestly don't know anyone who has tried it on the new ROM, but in theory it should just work. Report back with any issues or problems and we can go from there.

Do be honest, I am considering doing this as well since my contract is almost up and T-Mobile is nowhere within 200 miles of where I live (Verizon and AT&T are only options) but it won't be til August.

Alright! Sweet, I understand exactly what you are saying. I'll definitely run some of the services see if they all seem to be working, as soon as I get my Sim card in the mail as it should be arriving here on Monday, the 20th.

I will report after that. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Even if you are using Global phone, but you didn't buy it from Straight Talk, according the their rep, you must use a minimum plan of $45 "Unlimited" rather than $30 plan being the cheapest and basic. I think is a marketing thing, but at $45 if everything works, then I am happy. I haven't even had 3G yet up to this point, and I know people who complain about 3G, but its fine with me. I mean this is even first time using Ice Cream Sandwich lol. I like it.

Last edited:
OP
Epic

Epic

Reaction score
So I just got my SIM card, and is not working on my phone. The Rezound says, no SIM card found. Its doing the same thing with my old Droid 3 sim card that I put in it just to try it out.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I just got my SIM card, and is not working on my phone. The Rezound says, no SIM card found. Its doing the same thing with my old Droid 3 sim card that I put in it just to try it out.

Sounds like you have a bad sim slot. You're sure it's the SIM slot not the SD slot you're using right? SIM slot is right above the battery. You have to take the battery out in order to slot it properly

OP
Epic

Epic

Reaction score
Erase and EDIT:

I had the sim card turned the wrong way. Now what do I do? lol. I really don't even know what the icons exactly represent on the top bar. This is actually my first Smartphone to (Try) have activated and with service. :l

Now it says the Sim card is from Unknown Source?

To make it easier for me to get any help. These are the things I have in my possession.

1) "HTC Rezound - 16GB - Black (Verizon) Unlocked! Global! Any GSM Sim Card!"
2) "New Straight Talk SIM Card Activation Kit for T-Mobile Compatible & Unlocked GSM"
3) $45 Straight Talk Unlimited Plan

EDIT #2: 8:40PM

It says This Sim card is form an unknown source. However the Sim card is showing activated on Straight talk. When I set the Network option to GSM only it said I had a Voice mail to call *86, but I have no Service, and it keeps asking me to switch to Global Mode, because there is no Network found.

Any ideas? I think I am getting close. hehe

Last edited:
OP
Epic

Epic

Reaction score
Any idea guys? I am ready to get it activated. I would appreciate all the help you guys are willing to give. This is like First Grade math for you guys, I mean common! :D

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you verify that you were on the Global update as Ace suggested above? You have to have the phone updated to at least 4.03.605.2 in order have that functionality.

OP
Epic

Epic

Reaction score
Did you verify that you were on the Global update as Ace suggested above? You have to have the phone updated to at least 4.03.605.2 in order have that functionality.
Presto!!!

View attachment 63099
I am on that update! :)

I have set the phone to GSM/UMTS and Even Global, and it says there is no network. When I set it on GSM/UMTS or Global, or any other setting.
I am not sure if its normal but there is nothing under Network Operators searching or automatic, nothing comes up? Just throwing it out there.

EDIT: Okay, so it is true! If you put the back of the phone on, it works as an antena. I no longer have the "X" over my Network BAR. LIterally as of 2 minutes ago, I was able to Dial a Call to another phone. GOING to test and mess around.

I will report LATER with what I find.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Reaction score
You will always get the "SIM card from an unknown source" message with a non-Verizon SIM card on a stock ROM, but you should be able to clear it (or it just goes away, I don't remember), and it will function normally. To truly get rid of it you will need to go to Global Mode ROM like EclipicRez, or better yet Tron, Infection, or CM10.1. They are now extremely stable and very reliable.

And yes, the antenna are part of the back cover... without it on you will likely get no to minimal signal.

Glad to hear you got it working, now I am curious to hear more testing results... In theory, everything should just work with the global ROMs, otherwise you will need to root in order to change a few settings (APN, I think).

Last edited: