Unlocked D2G, but still issues. Will a 3rd party ROM help?

sb56637

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a carrier unlocked D2G, I live outside of the USA, and I am using a local carrier GSM SIM card.

My local carrier's customer service number is *611. But every time I try to dial *611, it dials +1-908-559-4899, Verizon support. There is a hard-coded link that prevents me from getting to my local provider's *611. Is this some mysterious Verizon-controlled setting in the baseband radio config? Or is it just a hidden Android configuration? And if I were to install AngelRom or something would it eliminate this problem?

Thanks a lot!

megapinky

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a carrier unlocked D2G, I live outside of the USA, and I am using a local carrier GSM SIM card.

My local carrier's customer service number is *611. But every time I try to dial *611, it dials +1-908-559-4899, Verizon support. There is a hard-coded link that prevents me from getting to my local provider's *611. Is this some mysterious Verizon-controlled setting in the baseband radio config? Or is it just a hidden Android configuration? And if I were to install AngelRom or something would it eliminate this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Hi just add # example *611#
dancedroid

OP
S

sb56637

Reaction score

Thanks a lot!

Hi just add # example *611#
dancedroid

Thanks for the reply, I wish it were that simple! Unfortunately *611# generates a USSD code, which is also broken on D2G with a foreign SIM.

Would a non-stock AOSP type ROM get around this issue, or is it hard-coded into the baseband/radio?

megapinky

Reaction score
That is weird, I also use the D2G in a foreign network both CDMA and GSM do not give me problems when dialing * 611, I am using Angel´s Rom,

Do you delete the contacts that verizon puts by defalut? # pmt etc etc

i hope you can fix the problem :)

OP
S

sb56637

Reaction score
That is weird, I also use the D2G in a foreign network both CDMA and GSM do not give me problems when dialing * 611, I am using Angel´s Rom,

Hmmm, that's good news. Maybe Angel Rom will work around this issue then. Yes, I deleted all the Verizon contacts. I have been on the phone with Verizon and Motorola for 6 wretched hours and they say that's how it's supposed to be. Could you verify that with Angel Rom, when you dial *611 it doesn't dial a USA Verizon tech support number? Thanks a lot!!!

OP
S

sb56637

Reaction score
Do you have assisted dialing on? Switch to a custom rom.

No, I turned off assisted dialing.

There aren't a lot of option for custom ROMs. Looks like Angel Rom is the best?

megapinky

Reaction score

Hmmm, that's good news. Maybe Angel Rom will work around this issue then. Yes, I deleted all the Verizon contacts. I have been on the phone with Verizon and Motorola for 6 wretched hours and they say that's how it's supposed to be. Could you verify that with Angel Rom, when you dial *611 it doesn't dial a USA Verizon tech support number? Thanks a lot!!!

i take a picture
snap20110617_132556.png

if you are on stock rom disable assisted

dancedroid

OP
S

sb56637

Reaction score

i take a picture
snap20110617_132556.png

if you are on stock rom disable assisted

dancedroid

OK, I'm going to try Angel ROM now.

hgrimberg

Reaction score

I tried dialing 611 from Fenom and it is ok. There is Angel and Fenom. Both are ok. Fenom has more reboots but it comes with more hacks like an increase in 3G speed. Or you can try the themes angel from: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-roms/150747-themed-rom-crimson-angel-v0-6-2-a.html
I am on Fenom because it comes with more hacks.

clouse2013

Reaction score

I tried dialing 611 from Fenom and it is ok. There is Angel and Fenom. Both are ok. Fenom has more reboots but it comes with more hacks like an increase in 3G speed. Or you can try the themes angel from: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-roms/150747-themed-rom-crimson-angel-v0-6-2-a.html
I am on Fenom because it comes with more hacks.

I do know that the next update of Angel Rom will probably be including the 3G and stuff. I personally like it better than Fenom. Just feels smoother on my phone. Everyone is different tho.

Sent from my Crimsoned Angelic Droid 2 Global

OP
S

sb56637

Reaction score
Sure enough, that did the trick. Thank you! And thank you Angel ROM. I hate Verizon and Motorola.

CyZeeK

Reaction score

Thanks a lot!

Nah just Dial as +*611 its the same for voice mail, have to use +*86 in my case. +(plus sign)

Anyway i cant do call forwarding yet

Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
S

sb56637

Reaction score

Thanks a lot!

Nah just Dial as +*611 its the same for voice mail, have to use +*86 in my case. +(plus sign)

Anyway i cant do call forwarding yet

Good Luck!

Good grief! Why couldn't those fools at Motorola and Verizon tell me about this after 7 hours??

In my case, I had to dial *+611 , not +*611 .

Thanks VERY MUCH for the tip! I really appreciate it.