Unlocked but won't root???

PalmHarbor11

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having trouble installing OneClickRoot on my phone. :mad: I first went to HTCdev and unlocked the bootloader according to their instructions. Everything with that part seemed to work fine. When I boot my phone holding the volume down button and power button, the white screen that comes up says that it it unlocked.

The next step from what I have been reading, is to install OneClickRoot correct? I downloaded the file to my desktop, created a folder on my C drive, C:OneClickRoot_1.1 and unzipped the files into this folder. Then I powered up my phone, connected it to the computer using charge only mode and USB debugging enabled. Now the part that is confusing me... when I right click on OneClickRoot and run as administrator, the program completes in under 1 second with the following message:

Press any key to continue . . .
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE ---
The system cannot find the path specified.
--- Device Connected ---
Checking for previous attempts...
Pushing Zergrush...
Setting Permissions...
Gaining Perm Root (Aka running zergrush)..
--- Device Connected ---
Pushing Busybox
Setting Permissions...
Remounting System...
Coping Busybox to /system/xbin/...
Installing Busybox...
Installing Superuser...
Removing tools That Was Pushed To Data...
Congrats You Are Now Perm Rooted...

Obviously nothing worked, so the next time I just double click on OneClickRoot (instead of right clicking and running as administrator) and this time it takes a minute or two to complete and I get the following message:

--- Device Connected ---
Checking for previous attempts...
rm failed for *, No such file or directory
Pushing Zergrush...
1441 KB/s (23060 bytes in 0.015s)
Setting Permissions...
Gaining Perm Root (Aka running zergrush)...
[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.
[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.
[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00000118
[*] Scooting ...
[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[*] Sending 189 zerglings ...
[-] Hellions with BLUE flames !
--- Device Connected ---
Pushing Busybox
1399 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 0.750s)
Setting Permissions...
Remounting System...
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
/system/xbin/busybox: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
Installing Busybox...
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
/system/xbin/busybox: not found
Installing Superuser...
failed to copy 'tools\su' to '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/xbin/su, Read-only file system
link failed Read-only file system
failed to copy 'tools\Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/./Superuser.apk': Read-only
file system
Removing tools That Was Pushed To Data...

This is filled with Read only, no such file or directory and permission errors... apparently something is wrong. The phone does reboot afterwards like it should, but it's still not rooted. The programs are not installed and if I use root checker from the market place, it verifies that the phone has not been rooted.

This seems like an easy process so i'm not understanding what I am missing here... Any ideas??? I verified that HTCsync was closed on my computer as some have suggested, the boot loader is unlocked, USB debugging mode is enabled and the phone is in charge only mode.. what else is there? :blink:

Thanks!
Tim

budlight4me

Reaction score
I didnt have run it as admin. The only thing I see you havent mentioned is the HTC sync being disabled or removed.

OP
P

PalmHarbor11

Reaction score
I didnt have run it as admin. The only thing I see you havent mentioned is the HTC sync being disabled or removed.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I closed HTCsync on my computer and uninstalled it from my phone.... still not working. :blink:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have the OTA, this method no longer works. You can only root via Amon-Ra.

jvanderholf

Reaction score
Me too!

I'm having the exact same problem. I bought the ReZound three weeks ago, rooted it, and everything was fine. Something went wrong with the WiFi, and I got a replacement phone. Rooted that one, no problem. Last night my phone refused to turn on. Took it into the Verizon store, they played with it a little, determined they couldn't fix the problem, and gave me ANOTHER new one. I haven't done anything to this phone other than setup my email and unlock the bootloader. And now I'm having the same problem:

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00000118
[*] Scooting ...
[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[*] Sending 189 zerglings ...
[-] Hellions with BLUE flames !
Waiting for device (again)...
Device connected. Moving on.
Pushing Busybox
2734 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 0.384s)
Setting Permissions...
Remounting System...
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
/system/xbin/busybox: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
Installing Busybox...
/system/xbin/busybox: not found
Done.
Installing Superuser...
failed to copy 'tools\su' to '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system
rm failed for /system/xbin/su, Read-only file system
link failed Read-only file system
failed to copy 'tools\Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/./Superuser.apk': Read-only
file system
Done.
Removing tools that were pushed to device tmp folder...
Rebooting for good measure...

It SAYS I'm permanently rooted, but when I check SU permissions via adb it says "permission denied" (meaning I'm NOT rooted). Again, the other two phones worked just fine. I don't know why this one won't. I've done everything I need to make it work, and nothing else.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi MrSmith, I just rooted via Amron method, I could OTA after that and remain rooted?

Thanks...

If you use OTAkeeper yes, but otherwise, you just flash a stock recovery, relock, run the OTA and then root via Amon Ra again.

Tha187um

Reaction score
If you use OTAkeeper yes, but otherwise, you just flash a stock recovery, relock, run the OTA and then root via Amon Ra again.

Hmmm ok I read this a bit too late. I did OTA... it updated fine, I reinstalled SU through Amonra, I did Root Check and it prompted me for SU rights, i granted and it said congrats... I did not lock it prior to update and on bootloader it still says unlocked... Should I be ok? or do anything else? I tested with Wifi Tether but it gave me an error. I havent checked with any other root required app yet.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmm ok I read this a bit too late. I did OTA... it updated fine, I reinstalled SU through Amonra, I did Root Check and it prompted me for SU rights, i granted and it said congrats... I did not lock it prior to update and on bootloader it still says unlocked... Should I be ok? or do anything else? I tested with Wifi Tether but it gave me an error. I havent checked with any other root required app yet.

You should be ok from here. Did you download Superuser from the market as well? That was the last step in re-rooting after the OTA. Root check is usually pretty good about it but for peace of mind try running wifi tether, root explorer etc..

Tha187um

Reaction score
Wifi Tether gave me an error, it says SU permissions granted but then it says WT started with errors.
I didn't re-download SU from the market, I reinstalled it from Amron Recovery... Im rebooting now.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
After you install it via amonra you still need to install superuser and busybox from the market

Sent from the red headed step child of Verizon
HTC Rezound ICS 4.0.3 desensed and customized

Tha187um

Reaction score
After you install it via amonra you still need to install superuser and busybox from the market

Sent from the red headed step child of Verizon
HTC Rezound ICS 4.0.3 desensed and customized

Hey thanks, I got to the bottom of it, when I did the ota, it screwed up the radio so I also lost WiFi... I just applied the.patch and all is working well :)

Quick question, on LTE, WiFi tether did not allow devices to connect, they connected on 3g only. Is this normal?

OP
P

PalmHarbor11

Reaction score
If you have the OTA, this method no longer works. You can only root via Amon-Ra.

I finally figured that out, lol got it working now. Thanks

I did notice that my battery life seems to be shorter now though? I haven't really done anything after rooting except removed some of the bloat, so figured that would have helped with the battery life.I used
recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img to flash, if that makes a difference? The one thread had a few different versions, i just used the newest one. Can something get messed up during the flash that could cause
the battery life to shorten? It seemed pretty straight forward after I figured it out, not sure what could get messed up that could cause the shorter battery life.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks, I got to the bottom of it, when I did the ota, it screwed up the radio so I also lost WiFi... I just applied the.patch and all is working well :)

Quick question, on LTE, WiFi tether did not allow devices to connect, they connected on 3g only. Is this normal?

I'm not going to comment on tethering other than saying that XDA has a ton of information on it.

I finally figured that out, lol got it working now. Thanks

I did notice that my battery life seems to be shorter now though? I haven't really done anything after rooting except removed some of the bloat, so figured that would have helped with the battery life.I used
recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img to flash, if that makes a difference? The one thread had a few different versions, i just used the newest one. Can something get messed up during the flash that could cause
the battery life to shorten? It seemed pretty straight forward after I figured it out, not sure what could get messed up that could cause the shorter battery life.

The poor battery life you're seeing is more than likely due to the OTA. People are reporting that Verizon location service is eating up batteries. Try removing that.

Tha187um

Reaction score
Thanks for everything... Im running ICS clean rom, it acted up where i lost network data but i read that a data wipe would fix it, so I did it and im back up again...

question, to avoid too much headaches im doing a rom back up with clockwork but it's taking a really long time on the system portion, is this normal? it's about 30 minutes already