Unlocked bootloader?

alienware777

Reaction score
Whoa... that's crazy. I hope they don't decide to change it for new phones, but ofc they will :(

Alos, rhat means that on phones where custom roms couldn't really be flashed, now they can.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bookie

Reaction score
I saw some tweets about this earlier. I bet we'll finally get ud and MIUI and all kinds of other great stuff on the d2 now. This is a great day!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
J

jt1359

Reaction score
Yeah I have a D2G. I know I can still get custom ROMs cuz I'm using one but I also know my bootloader is locked so I can't get custom kernels. If I were to get a custom kernel, could I use cyanogenmod?

I saw some tweets about this earlier. I bet we'll finally get ud and MIUI and all kinds of other great stuff on the d2 now. This is a great day!

What are ud and MIUI? I'm still a bit of a noob, sorry.

bookie

Reaction score
Ud and MIUI are a couple sweet roms that have been mostly unavailable to d2 and dx because of the locked bootloader. Cyanogen is the same way. Custom kernels mean truly custom roms

tecwizrd

Reaction score
Great day in the Moto phone community. I own the D2G, right now Fission is the best thing going for these phones. Now though I might get a working Liberty, or other rom. dancedroid

leobg

Reaction score
Read it is the sholes key. Sholes is the Motorola Milestone, I wonder if Motorola used same key to sign other devices like our D2G (which is close descendant of the Milestone). Really exciting news! Hopefully development will pick up now if the bootloader is really defeated!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong.
With the bootloader unlocked devs can create custom kernals which will aid with custom roms?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Asphyx

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong.
With the bootloader unlocked devs can create custom kernals which will aid with custom roms?

Yep! Thats about it! With a custom Kernel things like running CyanogenMod will be possible. Provided someone makes a custom Kernel for your unit which was not possible without the ability to sign an SBF and flash it.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Yep! Thats about it! With a custom Kernel things like running CyanogenMod will be possible. Provided someone makes a custom Kernel for your unit which was not possible without the ability to sign an SBF and flash it.

Too bad it's still locked

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I have good hopes, if the og droid's kernal sounds like its going to be unlocked it should be only a matter of time that the current droids bootloader should be unlocked
Big thumbs up for the devs

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I have good hopes, if the og droid's kernal sounds like its going to be unlocked it should be only a matter of time that the current droids bootloader should be unlocked
Big thumbs up for the devs

The OG Droid was unlocked at launch as I understand. Moto only started encrypting it after that phone. So just because OG Droid is unlocked doesn't really mean anything to the rest of us Motorola droid users.

Sent from my RubiXed D2G

OP
J

jt1359

Reaction score
Darn. Looks like it's still locked. Back to waiting for team get ~ r ~ done, hope they blow us away!

bgrade

Reaction score
So what happens when Android 2.4 is released, will we have to revert back to stock again in order to update?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
It doesnt matter as the keys and method to get them are false. Nenolod was trolling the dev community yet again