Unlocked Bootloader?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I think even if it is unlocked at first they will release and update to lock it down kinda like Samsung did with the Galaxy Tab. It will help boost initial sales. If the hacking community embraces it so will those that watch them. Then in a few months bam!!!! Locked out.

dredhead407

Reaction score
The efuse is a feature of the TI OMAP processor and dual core omaps aren't even out yet. AND all motorolas going to be doing is putting dual cores into the new phones so we should be fine for at least a little while.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The efuse is a feature of the TI OMAP processor and dual core omaps aren't even out yet. AND all motorolas going to be doing is putting dual cores into the new phones so we should be fine for at least a little while.

Efuse is not new tech. It has been used on other devices, electronics, etc from what I've heard. I would not be surprised at all to see the Bionx locked down as bad, if not worse than the X.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dredhead407

Reaction score

Efuse is not new tech. It has been used on other devices, electronics, etc from what I've heard. I would not be surprised at all to see the Bionx locked down as bad, if not worse than the X.

Its not new tech but is only used in omap processors. The bionic is using a tegra 2.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Its not new tech but is only used in omap processors. The bionic is using a tegra 2.

Wiki says otherwise XD

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFUSE?wasRedirected=true

Now I'm going to bed. Exams tomorrow. Yuck.

RafficaX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I think its funny to see another thread like this. If no efuse it will be something else, its moto, there gonna lock it. Had a release before when x dropped that they dont make phones to release for people to change. You will never see another moto phone like the d1 with changing everything. Try htc or samsung, moto is worthless almost to the hacking community.

Sent from my UD 3.0.0 Droid 1!

Loooney2ns

Reaction score
I don't need to modify the bootloader. I just want to be able to use my utility programs which require superuser access.

crackedvenom

Reaction score
so as of now it hasnt been confirmed that the bionic has a locked bootloader, but were assuming just by the track record? that was the phone i was looking to get. i love flashing roms and playing around with my phone, though i guess it has great specs so i may still get it.

Raptor007

Reaction score
Locked bootloader or not the dev community will get custom ROM's for it, it may take a little time to get into it but they will.

piquat

Reaction score
I'm almost afraid to ask this question because it's probably been explained before, but it's hard to search for so here goes...

I'm getting that they somehow "bypassed" the bootloader and you can put a custom ROM on an X. Soooo..... what's the difference? Kind of like the post above me, they'll probably crack it some how anyway, so what exactly is the limitation of having a locked bootloader on an X, or any other phone for that matter?

/putsonfireretardantsuit

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Roms basically must be based on Moto leaks, so that means no built from source roms. It kind of limits the amount of customizations that the devs can make. Every source rom I have ever used seems to be better than roms based on leaks but that's just my opinion. Also, because it must be based on a leak, once Moto decides to stop making updates for the phone you can no longer upgrade to newer versions of the OS. For instance, there are already GB roms for the OG Droid. There are none for the X or D2 because there have been no Moto leaks of the os upgrades. Basically, the devs can no longer keep your phone relevant with updates which is exactly what Moto wants.

piquat

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Edit: Aaaaaaand now I'm even happier I got a 1 year contract.

terroh8er

Reaction score
I thought that with the Droid X, we'd see the bootloader be unlocked after a few months. However, it never was and I'm pretty disappointed. Droid X hacking/modding is weak. The only reason I see to flash a ROM is to get rid of BLUR as best you can, and even that isn't anywhere near perfect. I'll never buy another phone with a locked bootloader.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Roms basically must be based on Moto leaks, so that means no built from source roms. It kind of limits the amount of customizations that the devs can make. Every source rom I have ever used seems to be better than roms based on leaks but that's just my opinion. Also, because it must be based on a leak, once Moto decides to stop making updates for the phone you can no longer upgrade to newer versions of the OS. For instance, there are already GB roms for the OG Droid. There are none for the X or D2 because there have been no Moto leaks of the os upgrades. Basically, the devs can no longer keep your phone relevant with updates which is exactly what Moto wants.

i agree, thats why the nexus one and the OG have remained so revelant to this day, well nexus s is out now but you get what im saying. until recent and forcoming phones, none have been really worth getting since the OG still matches or in some cases beats their specs (with a few mods of course lol). i think the DX got so much hype because ppl thought it was gonna be unlocked like the OG but...moto wanted to be squares and locked it which pissed ppl off...
We now have iphone but......If only the nexus line was on verizon cus google doesnt give a damn, they encourage us to make them better so they can make them better, its a win win.....!!! :)

hijackerjack

Reaction score
If this is locked, I may just buy a Thunderbolt and be happy with some CM7 goodness (if the TB is unlocked of course) lolz. I can always save up again and get a Dual Core later. I just don't think we should get our hopes high about the bootloader cuz Moto will come and bite us in the ass haha.