Unlocked bootloader hopefully coming

wuwtk

Reaction score
Just saw this over in the android forums, describing that according to a Motorola rep the bootloader with be unlocked sometime in Oct-Dec and that they are currently working on testing it. I don't know how legit it is, but it gives me at least some hope.

Straight From Moto's Mouth - Android Forums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt this... I guess that makes me a pessimist, but I don't trust rumors anymore. Remember all the speculation that the D3 was going to ship with an unlocked bootloader?

OP
W

wuwtk

Reaction score
Yeah i doubt it too... But I believe some rumors about this is better than no rumors.

lunacie

Reaction score
The unlocked bootloader for Motorola Atrix is a fact - a leak of it is in the wild, and it is scheduled to be pushed to AT&T Atrix phones soon (I think the same sched as mentioned in this thread for D3). There's no doubt in my mind that they're testing an unlocked bootloader for D3, only question remaining is will VZW allow Moto to push it to our phones.

OTO, having that code out there significantly increases the chances that someone in the dev community will release it for all to enjoy.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
as easy as they can give an unlocked bootloader... they can take it away.

keep pushing Moto people... these things should be unlocked to begin with!

das7771

Reaction score
personally I don't think VZW will allow it even if moto would be willing to let us unlock. they are pretty picky about software updates. they have been trying to crack down on the tethering. I am sure if motor were to offer an unlock that VZW will say its a concern for the security of their network or some crap like that.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Just noticed VZ is doing a BOGO on the Droid 3, if it were unlocked 2 more would be gone, boot loader locked so is my wallet.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
idk how many of you read my posts about the unlocked bootloader, but this is in fact what i meant, testing has been done on unlocking it and there are D3's out there with the bootloader unlocked and rooted..

that alone is very positive, the hard part is bringing that to our retail devices.

The unlocked bootloader for Motorola Atrix is a fact - a leak of it is in the wild, and it is scheduled to be pushed to AT&T Atrix phones soon (I think the same sched as mentioned in this thread for D3). There's no doubt in my mind that they're testing an unlocked bootloader for D3, only question remaining is will VZW allow Moto to push it to our phones.

OTO, having that code out there significantly increases the chances that someone in the dev community will release it for all to enjoy.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
everything that is said by that OP is the same that I have heard with sources, and the reason for no SBF leaks of the unlocked version because of the bricking. and if like he says the carriers and everyone has the OK then everything will soon be worked out, its just a matter of moto fixing the bugs..

trying to give us all hope on this, although it should be rooted before anything from moto with the unlock

Just saw this over in the android forums, describing that according to a Motorola rep the bootloader with be unlocked sometime in Oct-Dec and that they are currently working on testing it. I don't know how legit it is, but it gives me at least some hope.

Straight From Moto's Mouth - Android Forums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
idk how many of you read my posts about the unlocked bootloader, but this is in fact what i meant, testing has been done on unlocking it and there are D3's out there with the bootloader unlocked and rooted..

that alone is very positive, the hard part is bringing that to our retail devices.

So how can we get the root from them?

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
getting it from them is half the battle, the other half is making sure it works without it bricking your perfectly good D3.

So how can we get the root from them?