unlock?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by kyle10, Aug 21, 2012.

1. kyle10

kyle10 New Member

Is there a way I can unlock a at&t one so that I can use it with Verizon? I would rather not root it right when I get it either so if any way without that would be appreciated.
  2. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

No. While the hardware inside both are the same, the hardware radios are setup differently, as is the software. The AT&T S3 is setup to support AT&T GSM 3G and AT&T LTE. It won't work with Verizon's CDMA network or LTE network. The two carriers use completely different types of voice/3G networks and completely different bands for LTE.
  3. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 New Member

Its possible, search XDA-developers as this place seems to be lagging behind pretty badly. We already have the Verizon phone unlocked for overseas and other networks. The SGS3 has all the needed radio's. Only the software is different across the board.

Synergy-I535
  4. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

I know that the S3 has been unlocked for international GSM use, but I've seen nothing on XDA (a board which I frequent and follow closely) that allows an AT&T S3 to be used on Verizon.

While it might be possible to get a Verizon S3 working on AT&T, to do the opposite has one big obstacle - Verizon's CDMA network. It would be difficult to get an AT&T S3, even if flashed and unlocked, working on Verizon's CDMA network due to the way devices are authenticated.
  5. Nyteravyn

Nyteravyn New Member

Bsweetness, I'd agree but something deeper is definitely going on with the radios behind closed doors...
    Lately, under normal circumstances, when not in 4g (on 3g) I have been on a call and still able to deal with full data desires , typically blocked before now?
    On a call and see 3g with full data options...
    Can't be voice over LTE... so... I'm wondering if... I'm skipping thru an att or tmo tower?
    Other times, I will be on a call outside of 4g coverage and drop 3g data when initiating a call...
  6. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

That's something completely unrelated to this thread. :)

What you're referring to is SVDO - Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G. The S3 is one of only three phones on Verizon at the moment (with the others being the Rezound and the Thunderbolt) that support it. Verizon doesn't advertise because it doesn't work 100% of the time. But it is possible, on phones that have the necessary hardware, to have simultaneous voice and data over 3G on Verizon.

You are absolutely, without question, not connecting to AT&T or T-Mobile. Trust me, that won't happen on the Verizon S3 without serious modifications. :)
  7. Nyteravyn

Nyteravyn New Member

Gotcha, was in aware of any devices on VZ with SVDO ... thanks for clearing that up =)
    Kills my conspiracy theory of an undisclosed hybrid radio , ROFL =]