Unlock/Root OTA question

alm0614

Reaction score
Okay, I hear that 4.0.3 is supposed to be coming soon. I am unlocked and rooted, does this prevent me from getting OTA's? Also, any way to flash 4.0.3 now without wiping?

TIA

btw, love this phone!

Reaction score
It shouldn't as this phone by all intents and purposes is a Google phone. It doesn't have to worry about the Blur crap plus bloat nor does it have to worry about the Sense stuff and maybe bloat there too. I would recomend finding the system images so that if a catastrophe happens, you can "sbf" back to stock by going to fastboot. Again, you don't have manufacturers (Motorola/Bloatorola) lmencrypting the bootloader preventing you from doing that. So you don't have to worry about having a 3rd party sign the update file.

Cool stuff, this Nexus, huh? Bye bye Moto.

Somebody needs to make a ringtone like that! You know how they have that stupod one that starts out "Hello, Moto...." It would be awsome to have it say, "Goodby, Moto" or something to that effect...

*Edited

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

I say "Merry Christmas."

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
So you're saying I should expect OTA's?

Reaction score
Correct. But I would still varify it with someone who has more history and experience here on the forums. I might be talking out of my @$$. Who knows? Lmao!

But from what I have read and talked with people who had Nexi (?) is that you still will get them. Because it's not based on if you still have any bloat (Moto). Its based on "do you have a Nexus - a Google phone? Lol.

*Edited

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

I say "Merry Christmas."

xzdarkstarzx

Reaction score
BUMP! I would also like to verify this, because I would really like to see the update, but I would also like to root and get my d▲mn search button back!

captdroid

Reaction score
I have read you will get the OTA updates. But you should take caution and backup using CWM your rooted phone before doing any OTA updates. And a OTA update could theoretically revert the recovery upon next reboot as well. Time will tell how this pans out. If your not sure what to look for then wait to do a OTA update if it shows up and you are rooted to see what folks are finding.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have read you will get the OTA updates. But you should take caution and backup using CWM your rooted phone before doing any OTA updates. And a OTA update could theoretically revert the recovery upon next reboot as well. Time will tell how this pans out. If your not sure what to look for then wait to do a OTA update if it shows up and you are rooted to see what folks are finding.
+1

From what I've read in the past those who have rooted have sometimes lost root with OTA updates. I personally have no recollection of accepting an OTA while rooted. Always make sure you have a backup if you know an OTA is coming or plan on updating via OTA

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain if you are just rooted (no new from installed) you will get an OTA. I wouldn't go installing it however right away, let someone else install it on their rooted phone unless you want to be the test dummy and feel confident enough that you can work your way out of being bricked. This is highly unlikely, but always possible.

Typically an OTA will remove root, but with this phone its easiest enough to resort back to root.

If you have a custom rom, it may be made in such a way to prevent OTA (not sure if this is a feature of any current roms).

If you haven't already done so, d/l CWM and make a back up!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
Anyone out there with 4.0.3 to flash now?

mwahlquist

Reaction score
to my knowledge only GSM has dropped 4.0.3

EDIT: you beat me to the punch on this one nbucko!

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
Looks like GummyNex 0.0.1 has 4.0.3

nbucko

Reaction score
EDIT: you beat me to the punch on this one nbucko!

Must have been by a matter of a second. I hit submit and when the page reloaded both our posts were there. I'll try to slow down for you next time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums