Unlimited Wireless Tether? Also, vzw site saying 'need to change data (unlim) plan.

sqchram

Reaction score
So I'm grandfathered unlimited data. LET ME CLARIFY I OWN A DROID X WITH AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN. YES THE RAZR IN MY PROFILE AND SIGNATURE IS A JOKE LOL LOL LOL

As a curiosity I went to the site to walk through a check-out with a Bionic.

First off the window to select a plan pops up, and at the top it says 'your data plan needs to be changed' When I click the 'Why do I need to change my data plan?' link a message indicates that the device I selected needs a specific type of data plan for activation.

What do you guys think? Verizon just trying to catch people off guard and screwing them out of unlimited data? - I could still proceed with the checkout with my 29.99 unlimited web and email plan...

Also, I checked Wireless tether, and on the service summary page it shows me with the 29.99 unlimited web and email, then further down it shows the wireless tether service, but no specification as to whether its unlimited, or if there is a data cap.

Is this a way we can still legitimately get unlimited wireless tether? I don't see how you could have unlimited web and email, then a 2gb wireless tether cap?

Chime in please.

Last edited:

RadzPrower

Reaction score
That's the way the cookie crumbles. As long as people pay for the service, it's not going away. People are either to lazy or ignorant to get their tethering for free and instead pay out the nose to Verizon.

Can't say if you will be grandfathered in switching from 3G to 4G. It's technically a data plan and not a 3G plan, but that's not gonna stop Verizon from trying to milk you.

Sent from my rooted Droid 3

aya9877

Reaction score
When I picked up my Bionic this morning, the guy said I wasn't eligible to be grandfathered in, but I spoke to a CSR last night to make sure I would be. The Verizon guy this morning just told me to call in and see if they could help me. I called and they were able to put me back on the unlimited. Shady, but since I'm back on unlimited, I'm only complaining a little bit.. Just give them a call, I think you should be grandfathered in.

Bitterbeard

Reaction score
I didn't know about grandfathering and I almost lost mine going to a Bionic today but if you stand up for yourself you can keep it.

You might have to demand to talk to a manager and go through some shenanigans about 'being a good customer' but that is a small price to pay for going to a tiered plan. F-that, make some noise and go after it.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
if your unlimited data is for a feature phone (such as the razr in the OP's profile) then you are correct, you lose it. Unlimited data for smartphones is a different package then unlimited data for feature phones. Call *611 and see if they can help

OP
sqchram

sqchram

Reaction score
if your unlimited data is for a feature phone (such as the razr in the OP's profile) then you are correct, you lose it. Unlimited data for smartphones is a different package then unlimited data for feature phones. Call *611 and see if they can help

The razr in my profile is a joke.

Lets hear from someone on the tether!

OP
sqchram

sqchram

Reaction score
if you have a smartphone with unlimited data then you are granfathered in .. just call *611 and they'll fix it for you.

You're misunderstanding - nothings changed, I'm just wondering if anybody else noticed or had issues from the vzw website. I think its just low of them to say that you would need to change your data plan when you actually don't. - and I'm extremely curious about the potentially unlimited wireless tether possibility.

RadzPrower

Reaction score
I use 30GB a month...some of which is tethering...and I have never heard from Verizon. I live in a rural area though where little bandwidth is ultimately used.

pilot12

Reaction score
You're misunderstanding - nothings changed, I'm just wondering if anybody else noticed or had issues from the vzw website. I think its just low of them to say that you would need to change your data plan when you actually don't. - and I'm extremely curious about the potentially unlimited wireless tether possibility.

It might be a glitch on VZW's site....I went all the way through the upgrade process and saw the note you refer to about changing plans, but noticed that the defaults were the same as my current plan (500 texts/ $10 and unlimited data) and when I got to the confirm page the bottom line monthly charges were identical. Then I closed the page because I'm not ready to pull the trigger. Anyway, I don't think we need to worry about not being grandfathered.

RadzPrower

Reaction score
I use 30GB a month...some of which is tethering...and I have never heard from Verizon. I live in a rural area though where little bandwidth is ultimately used.

I should add a disclaimer...you CAN wireless tether with the proper hack, but it is buggy on certain phones right now (my Droid 3 among them). I've used PDANet instead until they get things worked out or I can get a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod or something.

pilot12

Reaction score
Any reason PDAnet won't work with a Bionic? That would be a deal breaker for me.

RadzPrower

Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem as far as I know. Work on my Droid and Droid 3.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
When I picked up my Bionic this morning, the guy said I wasn't eligible to be grandfathered in, but I spoke to a CSR last night to make sure I would be. The Verizon guy this morning just told me to call in and see if they could help me. I called and they were able to put me back on the unlimited. Shady, but since I'm back on unlimited, I'm only complaining a little bit.. Just give them a call, I think you should be grandfathered in.

I would have left and bought it online or with CSR.

OP
sqchram

sqchram

Reaction score
Any reason PDAnet won't work with a Bionic? That would be a deal breaker for me.
well the bionic can currently be rooted but according to droid-life vzw is working on an update to kill it. so you poss need to root and deny any ota update, or just play the cat and mouse game