Unlimited plan really does mean UNLIMITED (email from Verizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphtrent

Reaction score
I recently saw a message somewhere on here where someone asked about how much they can tether before VZW notices. Someone mentioned even though we have an unlimited plan, there is a 5 gig cap. I thought the same thing too so I email VZW about the data usage. Basically, I asked about being notified before I reach my 5 gig cap and this was their response. (I also asked other things, but this was the 3rd response)

3. There is no 5 gig cap on your wireless phone for data you have unlimited access and will not be charged for megabytes. The 5 gig cap is only for Broadband wireless service for laptops.

Hopefully this will put an end to the debate.

RalphTrent

jasonb

Reaction score
yea it's unlimited, but if they somehow find out your tethering then that's a different story.

people go back and forth on whether verizon has any way of actually knowing or not. most people seem to think if you stay under 5 gig they won't question things.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Our data plan is unlimited. Tethering is not part of our data plan. If it was then Verizon wouldn't have stated they plan to make such a tethering plan available to us for $30/mo at some point.

If you tether and watch Hulu (flash site), play games via xbox, etc then that traffic flows through the cell towers. Our phones can't use that data hence 20gb of flash movies or Netflix traffic must be going to some non-phone device. I'd say it would be easy for Verizon to filter out the traffic and see who is using the most flash or other data that's impossible for the phone to use.

So far I've seen no news items here or elsewhere that any action has been taken against a customer...warning or otherwise.

hacku

Reaction score
The way I see it is that tethering is a nice feature to have available to use in case of an emergency where you need internet access on a laptop and you don't have any.

If you're tethering as a way to replace your internet connection at home you're an idiot... lol

slinky

Reaction score
There is no such thing as an unlimited data plan. It is a word used to mean "it's unlimited in the agreement by stating a number" but they have plenty of ways to limit your usage once they feel it gets out of hand. If you're pushing more than 5GB per month than there is a violation of something in that agreement, e.g. streaming for a non-verizon approved or sold service, etc. Trust me on this one. It's the same with hosting and "unlimited bandwidth." Read the fine print.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That they specifically mention laptops in the email should tell you the policy on tethering. Tethering is essentially using your Droid to provide wireless broadband for your laptop.

Yes, seems debateable if they can really tell if you're tethering. But you're unlikely to be sending large email attachments from the Droid, the only way you could really start going 5gigs and beyond would be constant streaming of youtube, pandora, etc...Thus it would be pretty easy to spot large downloading of movies/flash to your computer that would be maxing out your bandwidth (i.e. 60 megs d/l in an hour = pandora....250megs d/l in an hour = tethering). I'm sure they have software that can flag sustained, constant d/l speeds consistent with large files that would be indicative of tethering.

But once flash comes to Droid then it becomes less simple to diferentiate.

Hey, for basic surfing and e-mail, I say tether away.

xythil

Reaction score
The way I see it is that tethering is a nice feature to have available to use in case of an emergency where you need internet access on a laptop and you don't have any.

If you're tethering as a way to replace your internet connection at home you're an idiot... lol

Why is that? Its perfectly ok to do so and decent free internet

mrdroid

Reaction score

Because it's slow as hell and beats up your phone.

xythil

Reaction score

Its not that slow. Decent ping in games... and how exactly does it beat up your phone?

mrdroid

Reaction score

Its not that slow. Decent ping in games... and how exactly does it beat up your phone?

Constant 3g usage causes the CPU to heat up. Heat shortens lifespan. I have no idea if it's enough for a user to shorten the lifespan of the phone enough to notice though.

It's slower than DSL. I'm not sure I could stand that.

Tegamal

Reaction score
The only time I tether my Droid to my laptop is when I'm at work. I'll do my basic web browsing while on my lunch break (unless we go to McDonald's or someplace else with free WiFi).

Just the other day, I tried to watch a video on IGN, to show a couple friends the trailer for the new Medal of Honor game. I thought I was going to go crazy waiting for it to download! I couldn't imagine using tethering as an internet replacement.

On a side note: PDANet is WAY faster than the WiFi Tether for Root.

Reaction score
One point of caution for VZW unlimited plan users:

Do not call Canada.

I returned a call to there and it was 5 bucks just to leave a message. Even though it is a heck of a lot closer than Hawaii, they still ream you for the call. I called and requested an international number block so that I would not inadvertently return a call that would cost money (my wife's Metro phone has this feature), but VZW said this was not possible. Somehow, I think it is but also think that VZW just loves to collect the big fees for the call. With all the new area codes, it is tough to know where you are calling.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

and it's a violation of your TOS. It's unlimited to the device. Teathering isn't unlimited. VZW can and will be able to tell if you are using a ton of data. They can and will turn your service off for it, or charge per MB. with that. Since this thread is going no where good. It's :closed_2:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One point of caution for VZW unlimited plan users:

Do not call Canada.

I returned a call to there and it was 5 bucks just to leave a message. Even though it is a heck of a lot closer than Hawaii, they still ream you for the call. I called and requested an international number block so that I would not inadvertently return a call that would cost money (my wife's Metro phone has this feature), but VZW said this was not possible. Somehow, I think it is but also think that VZW just loves to collect the big fees for the call. With all the new area codes, it is tough to know where you are calling.

As a former VZW employee, technically yes, it is possible to shut out the international roaming if you live along the borders. I took several calls from people in the Detroit area, also Sault Ste. Marie, MI areas that would get random roaming charges because the call originated on the Canada towers even though they were in the U.S. We'd credit those back and advise them that it could be turned off, however it could also affect roaming in the U.S.

Calling Canada is $0.49 per minute, so you must have left approximately a 10 minute message to get a $5 charge for leaving a voice message to someone in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.