Unlimited Data

Reaction score
I can tell you how it's done!

sent from my Note2 using tapatalk 4 beta

Yeah he just upgrades one of the dumb lines to the N3 with tiered data, then switch it to one of the smart lines and put the dumb phone back on the dumb line. If said dumb line is a kid's line and they want a new dumbphone... well an out of pocket dumbphone is going to be a lot less than an off contract N3 haha.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah he just upgrades one of the dumb lines to the N3 with tiered data, then switch it to one of the smart lines and put the dumb phone back on the dumb line. If said dumb line is a kid's line and they want a new dumbphone... well an out of pocket dumbphone is going to be a lot less than an off contract N3 haha.

when I activated a smartphone on a dumb phone line doesn't the dumb phone line automatically get a data package?

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I bought bionic on launch day September 8th 2011 and signed 2 year contract and still kept unlimited so this date in july 2011 can't be right

Yes, you are right...it would be 2012.

You were able to upgrade one time and retain your unlimited data. I also upgraded to the Bionic in Oct 2011 and kept my unlimited. But July 6, 2011 was the last day you were able to add a new line of service and select the unlimited plan. Starting July 7, 2011, if you opened a new line your only data option was tiered or shared plan.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/07/verizon-unlimited-data-plan/

"There’s some good news to Verizon’s announcement: If you’re an existing Verizon customer not on contract, you can upgrade your smartphone and still keep your unlimited data plan even after the July 7 deadline. The flip side to that, however, is you’ve got to sign a two-year contract."

debrad0307

Reaction score
The only way you can upgrade and keep your unlimited data is by doing an alternate upgrade ie: using another lines upgrade on your account and then switching the new phone to your line. Or you could buy the phone on your own from eBay or someplace. Other than that you cannot keep unlimited data. What the CSR rep told you was incorrect. The only way that would work is if you returned your new phone and decided you didn't want to upgrade. Hope you didn't take the risk and lose your unlimited data.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You were able to upgrade one time and retain your unlimited data. I also upgraded to the Bionic in Oct 2011 and kept my unlimited. But July 6, 2011 was the last day you were able to add a new line of service and select the unlimited plan. Starting July 7, 2011, if you opened a new line your only data option was tiered or shared plan.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/07/verizon-unlimited-data-plan/

"There’s some good news to Verizon’s announcement: If you’re an existing Verizon customer not on contract, you can upgrade your smartphone and still keep your unlimited data plan even after the July 7 deadline. The flip side to that, however, is you’ve got to sign a two-year contract."

Yes, you are right. You could no longer add unlimited but you could retain your unlimited if you had it when you upgraded. If you didn't have a data plan on your line, then you had to choose a tiered plan. In early 2012 they had a double data deal. I jumped on that for the two lines I had without data plans.Then in June or July of 2012, they added the shared data plans and if you upgraded you had to choose either a tiered plan or a shared plan.

See my next post for details on how you can get a subsidized discounted phone and keep unlimited...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
To keep unlimited...

One option is if you have more than one line on your account, with an upgrade due. If one of those lines is tiered (limited) or is a dummy line (has no data), then you can transfer the upgrade to that tiered line, buy a phone on that tiered/dummy line at the subsidized price, then (extremely important) activate the new phone on the tiered line/dummy line. If it's a tiered line, it will remain tiered and that line's contract will be updated. If it's a dummy line, then you will have to choose a tiered package for that line. Once the new phone has been activated on the tiered or dummy line and that contract updated, you can switch the phone over to your unlimited line and keep unlimited. If it was a dummy line, after you move the new phone off that line and put the dummy phone back on that line, you can cancel the data package. BUT you have to make sure you activate the new phone on the tiered/dummy line first before you move it to the unlimited line.

Another option is if you have more than one line, both are unlimited but you don't mind that one of the lines becomes tiered (maybe that person hardly uses data at all). You can transfer the upgrade to that line, activate the new subsidized phone on that line, choose a tiered data package for that line, then once that is all done, you can move the new phone to the other line and keep unlimited on that line.

The last option (but the worst one) is to add a line, buy the new phone on that line, activate the new phone on the new line, choose a tiered package for that line and once that is all done, you can move the new phone to your unlimited line, put a dummy phone on the new line and cancel the data package on the new line (but you would still have a $10 monthly fee for that new line for two years...costing $240 for a line you may not need).

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another option is if you have more than one line, both are unlimited but you don't mind that one of the lines becomes tiered (maybe that person hardly uses data at all). You can transfer the upgrade to that line, activate (but you would still have a $10 monthly fee for that new line for two years...costing $240 for a line you may not need).

180 since ull upgrade after 18 months lol

I didn't know u can have tiered data on other lines. I thought they all fell under the same data rates... maybe I'll upgrade my sisters line tiered because she never breaks 1gb.. so her line would cost the same after the tiered as it is now, right? just with a 2gb limit?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

I didn't know u can have tiered data on other lines. I thought they all fell under the same data rates... maybe I'll upgrade my sisters line tiered because she never breaks 1gb.. so her line would cost the same after the tiered as it is now, right? just with a 2gb limit?

you can have tiered and unlimited on the same account, i do.
her cost would be whatever the 2g tier cost (i didnt look it up).

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
you can have tiered and unlimited on the same account, i do.
her cost would be whatever the 2g tier cost (i didnt look it up).

Yes! Me too... 2 lines tiered/2 lines unlimited.

kijutsu

Reaction score

They killed the early 18 month upgrades. It's now 24 months.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I only have unlimited on all my lines! :(

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I don't know Mandy, but it may be worth it to change one line to tiered data... depending on how many lines you have and if you have one line that uses less than 2gb data a month. You could save $200-400 on a new phone and you would be able to use the tiered line each time you wanted to upgrade your phone (if an eligible upgrade was available).

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Id ditch VZW in a heartbeat for Tmobile because of their no contract/phone pricing model, but their service isnt good enough. Verizon keeps squeezing every penny out of us, not to mention what was said just above, now you cant even upgrade every 18mo, its 24. Our phones are undoubtedly the most used item in our daily lives, yet we are expected to go 2 full yrs with the same thing unless we pay $600+ off contract. I am still dumbfounded how a cell phone can cost $600+. Component breakdown cost on the S4 is about $230.