Unlimited Data Upgrade HELP

Colorado

Reaction score
I know this is a hot topic as of late since Verizon announced they will be doing away with the UD - unlimited data. Here is my dilemma. My wife and I both have the Droid X and we love them. We are currently under contract until early december, and have the UD. We will get an upgrade discount in mid August, but I fear that is too late for the UD and will not be grandfathered in after that is announced. So we were thinking about upgrading to the razr maxx, but the best price I was able to get offered was $199 each. I've read that some people are getting them anywhere from $99 down to free. Some are claiming that they are only 6 months into their current contract and they have an OG droid and they are getting the maxx for free??? As much as I would like to upgrade our phones, I cannot afford $400-$500 just for the sake of keeping UD.
So, if we were to upgrade to the bionic (which I believe is free), would this be a wise choice? If we got them for free, can we activate them, then deactivate them and reactivate our Dx's and keep the bionics in the event that our Dx's fail? (This would keep our UD safe for at least another 2 years). Then, if one of the Dx's fail, could we simply call and reactivate the bionic and still be under the UD plan, or is this not workable?
As much as I want the maxx, I cannot figure out how some people are randomly selected to receive a free upgrade when they have a year and a half left in their contract and we have 6 months left and they won't budge? Any tricks to get the maxx dirt cheap or is this not possible?
Sorry for the rambling. Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My first thought is if you are a typical user then you probably don't use that much data anyway and you're worried about nothing. I'm not concerned about the data thing at all but I do believe that going from an X to a Bionic would be a step up. First, you have the same size screen and 4G. You will (eventually) get ICS. So if you're really that worried about it, go ahead.

Unless you listen to a lot of music like with Pandora, Amazon Cloud, or if you are one of those people who think that there is nothing wrong with using your phone as a wifi hot spot without paying, then you probably don't have anything to worry about.

OP
C

Colorado

Reaction score
Well I use streaming radio a lot, that is my concern.

OP
C

Colorado

Reaction score
Another question. I see that the razr and the maxx is almost identical except for the extended battery. Is there any other significant differences?
If I went with the razr, can I add an extended battery down the line, making it essentially a maxx?
Also, do the accessories from the dx work with the razr/maxx (charger, cable, cases, etc)?
And would I be able to take my sd card from my dx with all my apps, etc. and put it into the razr?
Thanks again

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To answer your question about the Bionic, if you are able to get two free Bionic's then you can just activate them and switch back to your Droid X with no adverse effects to your account.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
C

Colorado

Reaction score
To answer your question about the Bionic, if you are able to get two free Bionic's then you can just activate them and switch back to your Droid X with no adverse effects to your account.

Thanks. Is that your camaro in your sig?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks. Is that your camaro in your sig?

No, but I really wish it was. The Camaro in my sig is a Hennessey HPE700. It has the LS9 dropped in to it. All work was done by Hennessey Performance Engineering.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another question. I see that the razr and the maxx is almost identical except for the extended battery. Is there any other significant differences?
If I went with the razr, can I add an extended battery down the line, making it essentially a maxx?
Also, do the accessories from the dx work with the razr/maxx (charger, cable, cases, etc)?
And would I be able to take my sd card from my dx with all my apps, etc. and put it into the razr?
Thanks again

Both the RAZR and the RAZR MAXX have internal batteries, just like the iPhone. While you can change them, they are not designed to do so as easily as the Bionic. This means you can't get an extended battery for the RAZR and just "pop it in."

Accessories are iffy. I doubt the case would work, cable maybe. I dunno about the charger. I've used the cables and chargers from my OG Droid on my Bionic with no problems, but that may not be the case all the time.

Assuming the sd card in the dx is the same, you should be able to do a swap. It would probably be better to move what you want from the dx to your pc and then to your new phone. That way everything on the card is geared toward the phone it's in.

OP
C

Colorado

Reaction score
No, but I really wish it was. The Camaro in my sig is a Hennessey HPE700. It has the LS9 dropped in to it. All work was done by Hennessey Performance Engineering.

Wow sweet ride. Supercharged I'm sure. I have a '12 Camaro RS 45th Anniversary Edition. That's why I asked. I'd love to have that one myself. Thanks

OP
C

Colorado

Reaction score
Both the RAZR and the RAZR MAXX have internal batteries, just like the iPhone. While you can change them, they are not designed to do so as easily as the Bionic. This means you can't get an extended battery for the RAZR and just "pop it in."

Accessories are iffy. I doubt the case would work, cable maybe. I dunno about the charger. I've used the cables and chargers from my OG Droid on my Bionic with no problems, but that may not be the case all the time.

Assuming the sd card in the dx is the same, you should be able to do a swap. It would probably be better to move what you want from the dx to your pc and then to your new phone. That way everything on the card is geared toward the phone it's in.

Thanks aaf, this is a great help.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

Big issue with this is, it will absolutely void the warranty. I'd personally grab the Bionic and get an extended battery for it, if battery life is an issue. Would be a good fit for an ex-Droid X user; since the Bionic could have essentially been the Droid X3, for all intents and purposes. Might have to wait slightly longer for ICS, but it's a decent phone. The Bionic is free with a 2yr contract, RAZR is $99, and RAZR Maxx is $199. If you could manage to get 2 Bionics for $FREE, that would more than offset the cost of the extended batteries.

As for swapping between the 4G phone you decide on, and the Droid X; I don't believe it's very easy to swap between a 3G and a 4G device. Not as simple as swapping from the Droid X to an OG Droid, for example. Once you are on a 4G data plan, I am pretty sure they expect you to be using a phone with a SIM card.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks again

Charger would work just fine, as would the USB cable. Cases are specific to the phone, and even to whether or not you have an extended battery.

I wouldn't swap the SD card if I were you, i'd copy the data I wanted to transfer over to the PC and the copy it to the new phone's SD card. Less chance of problems that way. Apps, however, will need to be reinstalled. The newer phones (Bionic, RAZR series, Droid 4) see the SD card differently. Most of the data that would be on the SD card on the Droid X would be on the internal phone memory on the new devices. To further elaborate, the internal phone memory is referred to as /sdcard; and the actual sd card is referred to as /sd-ext

On the newer devices, the physical SD card is more for media storage than anything else. There MAY be a hack out there to get the phone to mount the physical SD card as /sdcard; but if there is I don't know about it.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow sweet ride. Supercharged I'm sure. I have a '12 Camaro RS 45th Anniversary Edition. That's why I asked. I'd love to have that one myself. Thanks

I have a 35th RS anniversary edition in the garage. And the LS9 is stock supercharged. It's the same engine that is in the Corvette ZR1.

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
Thanks again

Do you use appbrain? I change phones like most women change purses and swear by appbrain. It keeps track of every app I have installed on all of my phones and makes putting them on a new phone very easy. I myself have never had any luck trying to move apps via my sd card.