unlimited data question

cdm369

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about, im hoping ro hear from someone who has done this. I have a dumbphone line and two smartphone lines. The smartphone lines are unlimited data. Can i upgrade the dumbphone to a smartphone without affecting my unlimited data? Also can i transfer the new phone to my line without affecting unlimited?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

moset

Reaction score
I think you can. I added a new line with a Raze maxx about a year ago. They were offering 4 gb with a new phone. I have 2 other lines with unlimited.
I gave the Bionic to my grandson with 4gig data and moved the Razr maxx to my unlimited line.
Actually I had a third line with unlimited data that my son took over and he was able to keep unlimited data on that line.
As long as you don't have to renew your contact by getting a subsidised phone you are good. Just call VZW and tell them what you want to do.
The new line is not gonna get unlimited data but which phone doesn't matter. Or it didn't then.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

moset

Reaction score
I told them up front what I was doing. They were good with it. I've been a good customer for about 7 years. Always pay on time etc.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was told by friends that wanted to do it, that if one line on the plan is upgraded, the entire plan is upgraded to the new tier data plans. Now i've had verizon say the same thing, and some at verizon say that's not true.

moset

Reaction score
I suppose the bottom line is. Call Verizon direct (not the store) tell them what you want and what you are willing to do and see what they say.
Hold out for keeping unlimited under the contracts you currently have. If they won't budge what have you lost?

moset

Reaction score
Your best bet may be to pay full price for the new phone then transfer it to the unlimited data plan. Then activate a new line for your old phone.
But they would get a new contract for data on the upgraded dumb phone so why would they not.

SLeepdepD

Reaction score
My wife and I were both on the family plan with unlimited data. She upgraded last November and went to the new shared plan with limited data. I still have the old plan with unlimited data.

JayBusa102709

Reaction score
Yes. You need to upgrade the dumb phone to a smart phone and purchase data package. You must then activate smart phone on that line. Once you do that you can then reactivate on one of your unlimited data lines. You must activate first on dumb line that is important.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly it just depends on the rep you are working with, and if they are cool with it. There are ways to work around unlimited data loss, if you have someone who is willing to do it. Other than that its just an ESN change.