Unlimited Data Question

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi, my question is this, I have the unlimited data plan, I am up for an upgrade as of yesterday, my contract expires on Feb. 28/12, if I decide to buy a new smartphone outright will I still be able to keep my current unlimited data plan, the new smartphone will be replacing my current smartphone and phone number will be the same. I am in no mood to be stuck again with a two year agreement and same phone for two years.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes if you use an upgrade or buy outright then you will keep unlimited data. just double, triple, quadruple check with whatever associate is helping you and ensure they know what they are doing.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My friend went from a Droid 2 with unlimited data to the Nexus, and still kept unlimited data. If they tell you otherwise, assure them its possible and ask form someone who can ensure you get your unlimited data.

OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
What if I activate the phone myself, since it will be the same number, the existing plan should remain.

OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
My friend went from a Droid 2 with unlimited data to the Nexus, and still kept unlimited data. If they tell you otherwise, assure them its possible and ask form someone who can ensure you get your unlimited data.

I understand if you do an upgrade with a new two year noose around your neck plan, but what about buying the phone outright.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I understand if you do an upgrade with a new two year noose around your neck plan, but what about buying the phone outright.

Yes, upgrade will renew your 2 year contract. Buy it outright and you still keep unlimited data, but pay full retail for the phone. If you really don't plan on being with Vzw for the next two years, why not just upgrade?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
It won't matter, as VZW will start throttling unlimited plans after 2GB or so... The days of actually having Unlimited data are nearly at an end. Enjoy it for the last few months that you can.

Smokie

Reaction score
don't most roms make it so they can't throttle or data? or didn't that work anymore? I stream about 10-15 gigs average a month. I never notice any sort of throttling that doesn't allow me to do what I want to work my phone.. if you are tethering to go online with your xbox or playstation then maybe it's a problem.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
don't most roms make it so they can't throttle or data? or didn't that work anymore? I stream about 10-15 gigs average a month. I never notice any sort of throttling that doesn't allow me to do what I want to work my phone.. if you are tethering to go online with your xbox or playstation then maybe it's a problem.

A ROM cannot prevent them from throttling you at the network level, and it is coming. VZW announced their throttling policy a month or so ago. If you are using 15GB a month, it is only a matter of time till they hit you.

huskur

Reaction score
As long you just upgrade the device you are fine. The only thing that will change your data plan is a plan change.

I just used an upgrade 2 weeks ago and still have my unlimited plan.