Unlimited data + bionic for $0.01 or 2 gig limit + pay $250 for Bionic?

OP
C

combres

Reaction score
This line will have the number ported to google voice and the month to month plan (which goes off contract nov 6th (2 year anniversary date of original droid)) will be canceled. The google voice number will be forwarded to my new line.

I still have a few days to decide if this is the best route. I still cannot come to terms with paying $299 for a phone with a 2 year contract. Even the new iphone is $199. Verizon has gotten out of control with their phone and contract prices. I have been a verizon customer for 10 years and a new customer can buy a $299 phone for 1 cent, wtf?! Other than unlimited data there really isn't much else they are giving their loyal customers.

Thoughts?

nateohio

Reaction score
So who's using the old line with unlimited data?

I AM. I did it like this:

-Ordered Bionic from amazon for .01 cents and added a line for 9.99 a month and 29.99 data package (2GB)

-Recieved the bionic on Monday, took it to the verizon store and activated on my primary line w/ the unlimited data package.
- My X2 went on the line I added to get the bionic temporarily

-Purchased dumb phone off of craigslist for $5 on thursday, and activated it on the added line and dropped the data package. So now we are down to only 9.99 a month for the added line

- X2 went to the girlfriends account and this is how it's laid out now:

Line 1: Droid Bionic w/unlimited data
Line 2: Droid X2 w/unlimited data
Line 3: Dumb Phone with NO data package

I would NOT have done this if Amazon wasn't selling the phones for a penny. But with that price, I'll only end up paying $240 over the length of the contract plus a $25 activation fee.
That's $265 total, in other words, a hell of a lot less than buying the phone retail, and I have an additional line's upgrade to work with in the future. Right now, I can upgrade phones about every 7-8 months at the subsidized price. Kinda nice if you ask me.

OP
C

combres

Reaction score
@nateohio

I have a feeling that amazon will ding you for the change in plan during the first 181 days. They are pretty explicit in their terms and conditions.

Perhaps you worked the system correctly by keeping the dummy phone at the $10 a month plan. I can do a similar setup, but I already activated the new bionic on the new number with the 2 gig plan. I will try and call verizon to see if I can do a switch a roo with the number.

nateohio

Reaction score
Nowhere in their terms and conditions did they mention the data package specifically, the only thing that was addressed specifically was the line itself. As long as that line stays active for 181 days, its good to go.

OP
C

combres

Reaction score
I was just reviewing the terms and conditions and you are right. Verizon seemed to charge me $35 instead of $25 for the add a line, which is strange. The extra $9.99 a month kinda stinks and amounts to about the same cost as to just buy the bionic with an upgrade for $249.99. You have to assign a value to being able to upgrade in 7 -8 months like you say. I am not sure if it is worth the extra cost though going the add a line route.

nateohio

Reaction score
Its not worth it to add a line UNLESS you can get in a deal like the amazon penny sale.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
That $10.00 a month can be substantially less than data charges if you start streaming a decent amount of data. I regularly used 1-1.5GB, now its regularly over 3GB if not 4GB with the Charge. NHL Live, NFL Mobile, Netflix, just a few of the data hogs I use and never really considered before.

Find a friend who wants to get on the Verizon network and rent him/her the line and charge em and put a couple bucks in your pocket.

Joj

Reaction score
Anyone else done the add a line, activate on primary with the unlimited data , put a dumb phone on the added line and drop the data package? Seems almost too good to be true. I'm tempted but don't want to be burned.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

nateohio

Reaction score
Anyone else done the add a line, activate on primary with the unlimited data , put a dumb phone on the added line and drop the data package? Seems almost too good to be true. I'm tempted but don't want to be burned.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

YOu can actually do that through Verizon wireless also. The only thing i'll say is dont go into a store to purchase the phone (do it online), because they will be alot less likely to help you knowing they are going to lose the commission on the new line. After purchasing online, then go into the store and have them help you transfer the new phone to your line.

Keep in mind that unless you can get a good deal like the amazon penny deal you are pretty much paying retail for the phone. $250-300 Subsidized priced + $25-35 Activation Fee + $240 additional line costs over the 24 month contract = $515 - $575 total cost.

haupman

Reaction score
With Wirefly they ding you unless you switch the phone to another line with a data plan. I would guess Amazon is identical, even if you didn't read it as such.

OP
C

combres

Reaction score
I think the whole drop the data package is dependent on the communication between verizon and amazon. My assumption is that there really isn't much after the initial activation. As long as verizon has the add a line under contract, and amazon sees the add a line under contract, there should be no red flag.

Verizon seems to be giving away unlimited data to their long time customers as I had no problem switching things around last night.

I have to say that with the 4g speed I am pretty happy with big red. I did a speed test with a friend who has a spring 4g phone. The bionic with 4g left him in the dust.

akhi216

Reaction score
Damn you guys are making me jealous. I didn't think to meet the unlimited data deadline when Verizon got "tiered" of offering unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

nateohio

Reaction score
With Wirefly they ding you unless you switch the phone to another line with a data plan. I would guess Amazon is identical, even if you didn't read it as such.

It did get switched to a line that had a data plan. Specificay my line with the unlimited data. You can't activate a smartphone nowadays without data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

MMAC

Reaction score
I bought my bionic from Amazon on the penny pincher sale and added a line. Went to the store when it arrived and had to buy a new a sim card with my lines number and they switched it to my unlimited data plan. Then I called tech support two days later and called the new line as it was within the 14 day grace period. First lady I talked to said no but then I called back and got a guy from tech support who didn't even ask why.

MMAC

Reaction score
Canceled the new line not called... Sorry