Unknown Contacts Help Please

phaze3131

Reaction score
I have about 1400 "unknown" contacts that are displayed when I go into display options under contacts app and select display contacts with and without phone numbers.

When I click on any one of them it says "contact does not exist"

Um, it obviously exists if it's there...

I am just looking for a way to remove them aside from deleting 1400 of them manually.

And where did they come from?

Thanks for the help.

Travis

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
really wish someone knew something about this what seems to be "bug"

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Log in to your gMail account(s) from your home computer. Click on Contacts (Top left corner, below Mail, and above Tasks). Scroll through your contacts, and see what you have listed. After you have verified all your contacts are correct in all your accounts, go back to your phone. Menu, settings, Accounts & sync. Turn off auto sync.
Go to contacts, hit menu, display options, Scroll down to choose contacts to display. Uncheck all of the boxes for every account. Re boot your phone (I dont know if its needed, but it wont hurt.) Power back on, Hit menu, settings, accounts & sync, and turn auto sync back on.Wait for your phone to sync back up, Go to contacts, display options, Choose contacts to display. Activate what ever group(s) you want to display under each account.

droidman101

Reaction score
OR, if you dont feel like doing that, download titanium backup, backup your stuff, and wipe data :) should fix it unless its a google problem

amsmis

Reaction score
If you are using Outlook the sync brings over the 'suggested contacts' You need to turn that off in Outlook, else the 'unknown' contacts will appear on the next sync, wiped or not.

pajala73

Reaction score
Log in to your gMail account(s) from your home computer. Click on Contacts (Top left corner, below Mail, and above Tasks). Scroll through your contacts, and see what you have listed. After you have verified all your contacts are correct in all your accounts, go back to your phone. Menu, settings, Accounts & sync. Turn off auto sync.
Go to contacts, hit menu, display options, Scroll down to choose contacts to display. Uncheck all of the boxes for every account. Re boot your phone (I dont know if its needed, but it wont hurt.) Power back on, Hit menu, settings, accounts & sync, and turn auto sync back on.Wait for your phone to sync back up, Go to contacts, display options, Choose contacts to display. Activate what ever group(s) you want to display under each account.

I had the same problem and found out that apparently Android believes that I have 489 Skype contacts which are (Unknown), but I only have a handful (20 or so) Skype contacts. Seems to be some bug, perhaps it always show 512 Skype contacts and the ones "not used" becomes (Unknown).

I had to set the phone to not display Skype contacts at all. It's ok, I won't Skype call them from the Dialer anyway and most of them I have in the Dialer already and don't need the Skype account information. But of course it would be better if this worked as it should.

masontitus

Reaction score
I just found this post because I'm having the same problem. I suddenly have 14,000 contacts in my phone, and most of them are listed as "Unknown" and when I open them it says "No additional information for this contact".

My phone syncs to Linkedin, Outlook, Facebook, and Gmail, so this isn't an issue with Skype. None of them show 14,000 contacts (and I don't have that many suggested contacts in Outlook), and actually now I get an error when gmail tries to sync. I'm really not looking to individually click on 14,000 contacts to delete each one. How can I fix this?

chenardp

Reaction score
17,000 unknown contacts

I had the same issue. In my case it turned out to be from Skype. In Skype I tried to sync my Skype contacts to my phone contacts. After I did that, I had over 17,000 unknown contacts in my phone contact list.

I uninstalled Skype, rebooted the phone, and verified that all of the unknown contacts were gone!!!

I then reinstalled Skype and DID NOT choose to sync my Skype contacts with my phone contacts. Now everything is fine.

If your problem is related to other applications (like Twitter, for example) try uninstalling that app, reboot, and reinstall. It just might work for you.

Pete

makis

Reaction score
I can confirm that the method recommended by chenardp of removing Skype works well on a Galaxy S in Android 2.3.5 with a similar problem of qudruplicated contacts due to skype syncronization.