Unknown artist when using music player

Nikonf3

Reaction score
hi all!

Ive been using my Droid for 6 months now and love it.

However...

when using the music player the song title shows up with the the artists name beside it. The artist is then listed as "unknown artist".

Also:

the albums are not seperated. for testing purposes I have loaded 2 albums on the droids SD card. The songs show up as 1,1,2,2,3,3, etc.

Other info:

I am using WMP and dragging my albums onto the droid via the sync.

While syncing WMP shows the title, album and artist, etc

Help!! (please).

TIA.

OP
N

Nikonf3

Reaction score
I did make a change and select "maintain heirarchy" which seems to have seperated the albums.

However the artists name is attached to eached to song title.
ie: 07 Were gonna win Bryan Adams.wma

The folder branching shows the Artist first, then branches to a folder with the album name on it, then the individual songs as shown above.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You don't want it to name your tracks like that?
You have to configure whatever program you use to rip music to name them how you want them.

Assuming you are using Windows Media Player.
Open it. TOOLS > OPTIONS
Click the RIP MUSIC tab.
Under RIP MUSIC TO THIS LOCATION click on FILE NAME.
There you can choose how songs get named when they are ripped.
Right now you probably have selected
TRACK NUM
TITLE
ARTIST

Last edited:

Hurocrat

Reaction score
Wrong name...

PereDroid, I think that's missing the point. What you're describing isn't the song name; it's the file name. What Nikonf3 is saying is that in the droid music player, the file name is showing up where the song title is supposed to be. In other words, it's not reading the songs' metadata (title, artist, album, year, etc.) at all, just the music file itself, and because it can't read the song title it's just showing it in the library under the only name it can find - the filename.

Yet, when he syncs it to Windows Media Player, WMP shows all that metadata intact.

I could be completely off base and misunderstanding the problem, but I'm having the same problem. I've tried going into the file properties themselves and setting them manually, but that doesn't work. I've tried editing them in WMP, still with no luck. There are a couple of other things I may try. I'll post again if anything works. Chances are, it's been encountered and answered before anyway. The odd thing is, I'm only having this problem with some of my songs (about a third of my library), and it doesn't seem to be linked to the file type (I use mostly mp3, simply because it's compatible with just about everything). My impression is that it's probably linked to whether or not the program used to rip the songs in the first place automatically found and applied the metadata, or whether it was added manually later.

jcardona1

Reaction score
I think your issue is the song's metadata isn't filled out correctly. It's a pain in the ass, but once you get it sorted out all your music will be organized beautifully. I usually fix this manually on a computer. Right click the file, click Properties, then go to the Details tab. All that info there is what the music player is displaying, not the 'file name' you gave it. If this info isn't filled out, it will show up as unknown artist/title/album, etc. After getting all my songs fixed and adding the album art, my library now looks like this :)

screenshot-1320254558377.png

Hurocrat

Reaction score
I think your issue is the song's metadata isn't filled out correctly. It's a pain in the ass, but once you get it sorted out all your music will be organized beautifully. I usually fix this manually on a computer. Right click the file, click Properties, then go to the Details tab. All that info there is what the music player is displaying, not the 'file name' you gave it. If this info isn't filled out, it will show up as unknown artist/title/album, etc. After getting all my songs fixed and adding the album art, my library now looks like this :)

screenshot-1320254558377.png
I don't know about Nikon, but I've got metadata filled out on every one of my songs (actually, based on his description, it seems that Nikon does as well). The droid simply isn't reading it. I've gone in and changed the metadata in the file properties, but it hasn't worked.

Last edited:

jcardona1

Reaction score
I don't know about Nikon, but I've got metadata filled out on every one of my songs (actually, based on his description, it seems that Nikon does as well). The droid simply isn't reading it. I've gone in and changed the metadata in the file properties, but it hasn't worked.

Hmm that's strange. I have a D1 and have always used the stock music player and never had that problem. I installed this new music player recently which just gives it a new look. It's the music player apk from Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 which was leaked a few weeks ago. My music files are all .mp3 files that I've had on my computer, and just copy/pasted onto my phone's SD card.

Maybe it's the WMP that's doing something strange to the files?