Universal inbox and google

poopsicle

Reaction score
how do i get my google mail notification through my universal inbox?

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
I would love to have the universal inbox as a widget on the home screen. Unfortunately I read this is not possible to do. :angry:

zoeb786

Reaction score
If you setup your google inbox as a corporate sync, with m.google.com as the address, it works in the universal inbox.

WhiteSoul8

Reaction score

Our Droid 2's come stock with a Motorola widget called "Messaging". Click/tap on this widget after it is installed and a menu will appear. First look at "Widget settings" to see what accounts you have listed. Then go to "Add account" and follow the on-screen instructions for setting up your gmail.

After completing this, the widget will display your emails - and any other messages from accounts you have setup.

This is one of the MotoBLUR technologies that ties together all of your accounts into one place - so - you'll also see messages from other accounts you've set up. I believe they mirror the accounts you set up in "social networking".

bamfsig45

Reaction score

Our Droid 2's come stock with a Motorola widget called "Messaging". Click/tap on this widget after it is installed and a menu will appear. First look at "Widget settings" to see what accounts you have listed. Then go to "Add account" and follow the on-screen instructions for setting up your gmail.

After completing this, the widget will display your emails - and any other messages from accounts you have setup.

This is one of the MotoBLUR technologies that ties together all of your accounts into one place - so - you'll also see messages from other accounts you've set up. I believe they mirror the accounts you set up in "social networking".

I hope that is a change in the newest Android 2.2 that runs on the D2. Because on the DX which still has 2.1 you have to set up your gmail account as an "email" account for it to be visible in the messaging widget.

WhiteSoul8

Reaction score
I hope that is a change in the newest Android 2.2 that runs on the D2. Because on the DX which still has 2.1 you have to set up your gmail account as an "email" account for it to be visible in the messaging widget.

I believe it is. I first had the original Droid running 2.1, and upgraded to the Droid 2 running 2.2 a very short while after. From what I've read, the Droid 2.1 didn't feature any of the "MotoBLUR" features which was Motorola's "front end application" that interfaced with all of your messaging sources in one unified location. One reason why I upgraded to the Droid 2 was because I read it was bundled with the MotoBLUR technology. I've read a few debates where some people would have preferred the Droid 2 shipping with stock Android 2.2, because the Motorola features can not be deleted.

So, in short, yes =-) Ensure that all of your accounts are accounted for under the messaging widget's menu system - double check them under the "Social Networking" application, and all of your messaging will be centralized.

My configured accounts for the widget are; text messaging, facebook, twitter, and my email accounts. Yes, you can select which ones you want displayed and which ones you would rather not.

ZPrime

Reaction score

I have no idea WTF WhiteSoul8 is talking about, because what you just said is definitely still the case.

The "universal inbox" only works for accounts that Blur handles. This is Corporate Sync, IMAP accounts, POP3, and Social networking (twitter/facebook/etc).

GMail doesn't show up in the universal inbox, unless you set it up as IMAP (via the normal "Email" option) or as Corporate Sync (which should be possible now I believe).

WhiteDroid

Reaction score
GMail doesn't show up in the universal inbox, unless you set it up as IMAP (via the normal "Email" option) or as Corporate Sync (which should be possible now I believe).[/QUOTE]

Can someone please post the steps to add Gmail to the universal inbox through the Corporate Sync option?

Obviously going to 'My Account' is the first step, then 'add account' then 'Corporate Sync'

My big question is, what do you put for the Gmail 'domain' and 'server'?

Fredsmi

Reaction score
I did this and now receive duplicate gmail notifications. My question is. .. if i delete one of gmail accounts will i lose the gmail contacts and calender sync and still be able to get the universal inbox notification? It doesn't seem like the corp sync setup has the full gmail sync capabilities.

ihf

Reaction score
problem persists

I have a Droid 2 and I tried adding Gmail to the Universal Inbox with no success. I suspect that it would work if I define Gmail as Corporate sync or Imap but short of root'ing the phone I would then probably get duplicate gmail notifications. They should fix this limitation of the "Universal" Inbox and they should also permit it to be a widget rather than having to go to "Messaging" and then to Universal Inbox.

Fredsmi

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 and I tried adding Gmail to the Universal Inbox with no success. I suspect that it would work if I define Gmail as Corporate sync or Imap but short of root'ing the phone I would then probably get duplicate gmail notifications. They should fix this limitation of the "Universal" Inbox and they should also permit it to be a widget rather than having to go to "Messaging" and then to Universal Inbox.

It's not hard to get gmail in the universal inbox, but you do have to change your notifications to avoid duplicate notifications.

Fredsmi

Reaction score
I would like to have the universal inbox have its own widget on my home screen. If i have to hit more then 1 button to get to it, it sort of defeats the purpose.

whatatool

Reaction score

It's not hard to get gmail in the universal inbox, but you do have to change your notifications to avoid duplicate notifications.

I am trying this now - not sure if I am doing this right...

1) already had my GOOGLE mail account working as a Gmail account added in the Universal inbox (left this setup so I can continue to have syncing with google functionality
2) added the GOOGLE mail account as a straight email (IMAP) account
3) in the Universal Inbox - My Accounts screen:
a) set the notifications to OFF

Did I do this correctly?

the Notifications seems to be global to the Universal inbox...how do I set it so that the Universal inbox notifies, but not the Gmail email setup?

I just might be making a mess of this, huh?

mgladden2

Reaction score
No Universal Inbox on homescreen, huge stretch for 2nd click

Some users report being able to do home screen > long-hold > shortcuts > activities > universal inbox. I tried it on my Droid X (os 2.2.1) and found "activities" was called "applications" and there was no "Universal Inbox" inside "applications."

Major FAIL to Motorola and Android OS programmers for overlooking this. I am seriously considering returning the phone. Having just left RIM behind, I can tell this single issue is going to slow me down at work more than any other. That really blows, because nearly everything else about the phone is incredible.

What's worse, for one-handed phone use, if you hold the phone in your right hand (as most experienced BB users do), after clicking the "Messaging" icon on your homescreen, you are then forced to reach all the way to the very top left of the screen with your thumb to hit "Universal Inbox," making that second click a ridiculous and uncomfortable stretch of the thumb/hand. Serious FAIL.

Mark