United States Ranks a Dismal 55th Place in Global LTE Speeds

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
opensignal-lte.png

While Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile an Sprint argue about having the fastest LTE in the US, the reality is that their service basically sucks compared to most of the world. OpenSignal just released their Global LTE Comparisons, and the speed chart of their testing was eye-opening. United States carriers ranked near the bottom of the list at 55th place compared to all of the other countries with large LTE networks.

The top two countries are Singapore, with average LTE speeds of 37Mbps, and NewZealand, with 29Mbps). To put it in perspective, the U.S. parks between Russia (10Mbps) and Argentina (9Mbps) with an average LTE download speed of 10Mbps. Even countries like Slovakia (16Mbps) and the Czech Republic (14mbps) score much higher for LTE speeds than we do. America is actually closer to the bottom of the list than we are to the top.

It seems silly that the most powerful and richest nation on Earth (and the country which invented the Internet) would have such crappy quality of service, especially considering we also pay much more for it than most other countries. Do you think maybe our providers could spend more money improving their networks than they do?

Source: OpenSource

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This has been explained many times....the US is one of the least dense and most geographically dispersed populations in the world. Singapore is like #1.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I find it hard to believe that Thailand is 46 as LTE is so new and spotty here

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
To put it in perspective, Singapore is about 10% smaller at 277 square miles than New York City at 304 square miles.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed seeing China so high on the list. Russia is right there with USA. Every other country is the size of a small state in USA or small region in Russia. It doesn't take billions and billions of dollars to setup their network as you wire 1 small antenna on the roof of high rise and cover a large portion of a city(hundreds of thousands customers) whereas to do the same in Russia or USA you need to build several antenna towers from ground up to achieve same result.

Same reason why all those countries live in 900sq foot apartments and not 3000sq foot homes.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I get slow downs but I don't need everything this second.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm happy with my speeds no complaints..I have noticed more congestion especially in some areas in NYC which I feel should not have slower and dead spots ...

6s Plus

Last edited:

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Back when I first jumped on the 4G bandwagon my speeds were consistently 50 Mb/s with Verizon, too bad it isn't that way now. It was a nice downhill ride though, unlimited data at those speeds.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't trust the source. When I use their app it shows I'm connected to cells that don't exist and their speed tests show me as being about 1/4 of what other speed test results show. It was like that when I was Verizon, T-Mobile and remains the same now that I'm on AT&T . Right now I'm connected to the only cell within a few miles of my location and it's showing I'm connected to one in a patch of woods, that doesn't exist, about 2 miles in the opposite direction.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Back when I first jumped on the 4G bandwagon my speeds were consistently 50 Mb/s with Verizon, too bad it isn't that way now. It was a nice downhill ride though, unlimited data at those speeds.

my speeds at home are not good at all, but traveling I often hit speeds of 30+ on my computer, tethered!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
my speeds at home are not good at all, but traveling I often hit speeds of 30+ on my computer, tethered!
I get 20+ at home now. Near the airport is 50+ tethered. It's nice.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Yes but most towers are always saturated, 20 is great if not on unlimited.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yes but most towers are always saturated, 20 is great if not on unlimited.
Unlimited or not what does 50Mbps get me that 20Mbps can't?

Reactions: cr6

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
While on Verizon i could easily get 20-40Mbps, The speeds they use for this are the average.