1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Unique problem

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by wlscott, Apr 12, 2010.

1. wlscott

wlscott New Member

Ok...I'm posting this in here on the advice I got from another thread which can be found here: http://www.droidforum.net/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=13

As I said in that thread....I am currently deployed downrange to a country that I have no service in. I ordered my Droid while I was here. I figured I could mess with it here...load the apps I want on it etc, and have it squared away when I got home. No service means I have no acess to the market area on my phone. All the iPhone users here talk about downloading apps to their iTunes on their laptops then pulling them over to their phones from there. There doesn't seem to be anything like that for the Droid.

So...I mount the Droid and start trying to load apps to it that I find online. Problem: Can't do it without some type of file management app like Astro. I look around, and find Astro on a website and download it too my laptop. But...turns out, you need a file management app, to be able to load Astro. So I'm kinda at a catch 22 now.

Guy named pyro6128 suggested that I might be able to load things to my phone thru the adb shell on my comp. Being the technologically retard that I am....I have no idea what that is. He also suggested another type of fix, and that was to root the phone and install or have a rom (or have someone make a very simple rom with nothing extra) that has astro installed on it already. Then I would have my file manager and could install any other apks I want.

Again...I'm not much of a techno-oriented guy. I typically shoot stuff and blow **** up. But, I do have a guy here that can help me. If anyone can think of a solution I'd sure appreciate it. Right now I have a very sophisticated iPod that I can watch movies on. Sure would be nice to be able to set up my apps so it'd be square when I got back to the States...

Bottom line.....How do I get apps loaded on my phone, from my laptop when the phone is in the stock configuration and I have no acess to the web with the phone?

ETA: Just in case someone thinks they can build me a ROM (or whatever its called) to fix this, I'm running 2.0.1 cause, again...can't get any service to update.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. EtherGnat

EtherGnat New Member

3. wlscott

wlscott New Member

Sorry...I already thought of that. We have no wifi here. Shoulda mentioned that.

Along those lines...is there a device that I can order that I can plug a CAT5 internet cable into that will broadcast a wifi signal?
  4. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

K I'ma try to help you out. First, are you Army or Marine? I'm Army.....that irrelevant though......are you Airborne?....NM! Gimme a few minutes and ima try to think up a solution to your problem.
  5. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

The quick answer to that question is yes, a wireless Router.
    Check here: Newegg.com - wireless router
  6. wlscott

wlscott New Member

Cool...thx. Right now I'm trying to set up my laptop as an "ad hoc" wifi. Can't get my comp to let me set it up though for some reason. More research in the AM...

Army, 82nd.....former. I'm a contractor now bro.
  7. EtherGnat

EtherGnat New Member

Sure. If you have wired Internet you can get a $30-40 wireless router that will provide you with wireless Internet access. Depending on your situation and security precautions it might be against regulations and/or a bit of a pain to configure.

Newegg: Wireless routers
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  8. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

I was in 82nd also, 2005 to 2008, 2BCT. I'm still on bragg.

From my research, the only was is to either have a file manager already installed on the phone, or use the Android SDK software to push it. Its a rather large file though. Here is the link for the SDK installation stuff, just ignore the part about screenshots unless you want to use it. How to take screenshots of the Motorola DROID - Know Your Cell
  9. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

I want to image that you can use the instructions in this guide on using SDK to push a bootanimation to and just apply the parts the are relevant to the application. However, I'm not sure if that will work, you can try it though, the most that will happen is that you are back to where you started. I would order a wireless router anyway, that will make everything much easier.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/12841-big-lous-boot-animation-tutorial-noobs.html
  10. C3P0

C3P0 New Member

I don't mean to take it off topic but I just wanted to say that you contractors get far more flack than you deserve. Thank you for fighting the good fight, both wlscott and Pokebreaker. Your sacrifices are greatly appreciated. Good luck with getting the droid to work! My advice is to ask around if anyone already has bootleg wifi running.
  11. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

ADB can install too, if you use the same idea with adb push. By putting the file you want to install in the tool directory you type.

Code:
    adb install filename.apk
    Chanage filename.apk to the name of the .apk you are trying to install. This won't work on all files though, but market files it should.

So if I were to install pandora
    Code:
    adb install com.pandora.android.apk
  12. wlscott

wlscott New Member

I tried setting up ADB. But every time I tried, it asked me for the disk that came with my hardware (none did). Then it tells me that the hardware wasn't loaded.
  13. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Did you install the drivers? USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA
  14. wlscott

wlscott New Member

Ah...no I didn't. So do I have to be rooted to install that usb and pc charging driver?
  15. gavron

gavron New Member

Yeah you do have to read the directions before creating a brand new thread saying you didn't read those same directions.

Best

E
  16. wlscott

wlscott New Member

What are you trying to say? I should read the directions? My phone came with a booklet of about six pages...
  17. gavron

gavron New Member

Did the six pages from VZW tell you to come here? no.
    Did the six pages from VZW tell you to root your phone? no.

Did you read the FAQ? no.
    Did you read the sticky threads? no.

What a "unique problem" you have.

I wish you the best of luck!

E
  18. wlscott

wlscott New Member

Read the faq....no help.
    Read the sticky threads.....still no help.

Read your two contributions to this thread....really no help. Dude, if you can't help then stay the f*ck outta the thread. Several people have posted in this thread trying to help me. They seemed to have no problem with the questions I've asked. You have to stick your nose in and point out what an idiot I am. I stated that in regards to techie stuff in the original post. What does that make you? Captain Obvious maybe?

If you want to help, cool. I'll listen you your advice. If you just want to be a d*ck...go somewhere else.
  19. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

20. pulptastic

pulptastic New Member

Have you tried Connectify? Only works with windows 7, but allows you to share laptop internet connection over wifi, basically use laptop as a wireless router. It is a free download, I use it all the time for international business trips (my hotels in Canada never seem to have wifi past the main lobby!).