Unique Problem

Discussion in 'Blackdroid' started by C3P0, Apr 6, 2010.

1. C3P0

C3P0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, long time creeper, first time poster. Very glad to be aboard and excited for 9.8.
    That said I'm trying to get my droid shipshape before 9.8 is out. Here is my issue (and yes I have used the search function):

I originally rooted using rootyourdroid.info directions. I had Sp-recovery and nandroid all working. I decided to switch to Ultimate Droid and ROM Manager.

THEN..after a bunch of failed ROM installs and bootloops, I am using Ultimate Droid, but RomManager gets the error "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands" every time I try to use the Flash ClockworkMod Recovery option to activate the functionality of ROM Manager. So I cannot access the rest of ROM Managers options in order to return to SP Recovery..everything is grayed out.

ALSO I have tried multiple times installing different OC kernals. I used to have my CPU OC'd to 1GHZ with rootyourdoid.info's file they provided. However although the Chevy kernals indicate they install, SetCPU now informs me that my droid does not appear to have root access, and that it is not OC'd and is set on the locked stock clock. Would the ROM Manager error and SetCPU error indicate that I have lost root somehow? My SD card and backups is a moshpit of backups of backups...nothing seems to work. Time for a clean wipe? Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

2. toastedoats

toastedoats Member

Ratings:
    +0
    -Do you have the paid version of Rom Manager?

-Go into Rom Manager and scroll down to "Fix permissions" see if that fixes it?

-Ultimate Droid is No longer supported through Rom Manager.

3. C3P0

C3P0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha see that's the issue even fix permissions is greyed out! Its quite the paradox

4. laclark2002

laclark2002 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi C3P0. I feel your pain. I have done this a bunch of times now. The easiest method I have seen to do all this would be to download DMUpdater. It was available in the market awhile back but it doesn't appear to be there anymore. I researched this for you and found that you can go here: How To: Root Motorola Droid with DroidMod | Nexeo.net and download it directly. Copy it to your SD card and install it. Follow the directions listed on the page from there. You can even go back to stock and start all over again using this tool. Up to you. Hope it helps. :)

P.S. I just read through the rest of the directions. You can stop after you flash the recovery image under step 3 and then install any ROM you want.

5. C3P0

C3P0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Laclark2002 thank you so much for your help! I will look into this and see if it can solve my issues. I really wouldn't mind dealing with stock for a few hours until 9.8 with a working install method from 2.0.1. surfaces

6. laclark2002

laclark2002 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anytime, just know that if you install the 2.0.1 stock again (you can choose that rather than the droidmod in the ROM Menu) that you can be prompted to upgrade to 2.1 from Verizon. Don't let it do that if possible. Reason being that if you let it do that then it is a little more complex to get it back to the stock 2.0.1 ROM so you can root (although I can help you there too as I have done that as well).

7. C3P0

C3P0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I wont be accepting the 2.1 update if it prompts me, however when the time comes I might require assistance getting 9.8 to load from 2.0.1, as I had major issues with bootloops and errors last time. I'm going to install re-root and revert to stock with DroidMod now and see how that goes. Thank god its possible..my computer hasn't been able to find my droid yesterday. I tried updating drivers..every trick in the book. And I lack a microSD adapter to "hard" access the card. But now my computer is finding it..go figure

8. C3P0

C3P0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    AHH SHIPS. It says that my phone is rooted but I haven't given DroidMod acess..well yes Superuser is on my phone but it is fubar..so ima try to uninstall it and see if DroidMod finds no root then. Sorry for the Double post mods

EDIT: ANOTHER FAIL! Turns out not only is Superuser non-functional but Im not able to uninstall it under applications as it doesn't appear there. HELP anyone? I'm thinking a clean wipe is my only option, as my backup I made with ClockModw.e. was made after I had these issues...and my working backups are unacessable in SPrecover

9. laclark2002

laclark2002 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's alright. I know it can be frustrating as I have had it happen too. If uninstalling that fails for you then you have to go through the process below. It has worked for me a couple times now without any issues. This is copied from another thread in another forum that I found when I had this problem. I take no credit for it. Just be sure that when you are downloading the files that they are the right size before you start or you have to start the flash process all over again. Note: While , I honestly don't expect any problems with this process since it has worked for me enough now to where I am fairly confident in it, I am not responsible if the device gets bricked doing it:

I take no credit for the release of the .sbf file nor any of Motorola's software or drivers

IF THIS IS DONE WRONG IT CAN AND WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE BEYOND REPAIR OF EVEN VERIZON SINCE THIS IS THE TOOL THEY USE! DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE DURING THE PROCESS! I WILL NOT OFFER SUPPORT AND NOR SHOULD ANYONE ELSE! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING PLEASE LEAVE RIGHT NOW.

THIS COMPLETELY WIPES YOUR PHONE AND REFLASHES IT! YOU WILL NEED TO REACTIVATE YOUR PHONE WHEN THIS FINISHES!

Reactivate means dialing *228 in the phone app and choosing option 1, for those that don't know.

Requirements
    A.
    2.00 http://www.mediafire.com/?o2jetlnyn34 (.sbf file)
    or
    2.01 http://www.mediafire.com/?2nojyrkfznj (.sbf file)
    B. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzzjmngizmj (RSDLite 4.6)
    C.
    http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Co ... _4.2.0.zip (32-bit Motorola USB Drivers)
    or
    http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Co ... _4.2.0.zip (64-bit Motorola USB Drivers)

Instructions:
    1. Download all of the files above including the 32-bit OR 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers.
    2. Install RSDLite 4.6 AND the 32-bit or 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers (Depends on your system most will need 32-bit some will need 64-bit)
    3. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
    4. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
    5. Click the ... next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file and double click the .sbf file.
    6. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress and all of that.
    7. Once your phone is done being flashed (It may take a while so don't unplug it) it will reboot and you will be back at stock 2.0.1 no root.
    8. Done

Credits:
    dordodim for the sbf file.
    Motorola for the awesome phone, usb drivers and RSDLite (Thanks Ron for pointing out where I could find the USB Drivers and RSDLite)

End notes:
    Have fun.

10. C3P0

C3P0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah this seems like the best option for now. Well here I go...

11. zombiethoughts

Ratings:
    +0
    NO WAIT!!

sbf's are a last option.
    I actually did brick my phone using it. And Verizon could not fix it. Try this first...

If you already uninstalled rom manager...
    Or ROM Manager not working...

Download this file... http://downloads.droidmod.org/recovery-0.99.3.img

Copy this to the root of your sd card

Open a terminal app (many freely available on market)

Type 'su' and hit enter
    type 'flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img' and hit enter
    type 'reboot recovery' and hit enter

And it should show that you have rebooted into SPRecovery
    (use power button for back
    use vol up/down for up and down on list
    use camera button for select)

Then choose backup/restore
    choose advanced nandroid backup
    select all
    choose perform backup.

Use power button to go back to main menu
    select reboot.

You now have a current backup using SPRecovery and are ready for the 9.8 release.

Yay!

12. C3P0

C3P0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BRO you just saved me. I was like about to run it. I like the sound of what you posted ima try that now. And if it works...I hope I can find something to do while I wait for 9.8. Dream about 10.0?