Unintended Detective work with lookout mobile.

cp2dec1

Reaction score
So my sister went to walmart and came back saying that she lost her phone (droid 2). I called her phone, it went to voicemail directly, I called again, it rang successfully and went to voicemail. I figured it was stolen.

I checked her location on latitude (i had her added to my friends a while back), it showed her phone was 4 miles away on an intersection. That didn't help, So we decided to go back to walmart and check the lost and found. We arrived at walmart and checked the lost and found, but no phone.

I called asurion to see if they have the mobile app thing on her phone, (after successfully pissing me off by acting stupid) they said no.

Luckily she remembered that she installed lookout mobile but doesn't know her password or her gmail password. While at walmart parking lot, I logged in to lookout mobile thru my browser and successfully logged into her lookout account (after password resets). The phone was now located by KFC, 2 miles away.

We got to KFC, and my sister immediately recognized a taxi cab parked there (weird). So we parked next to it and walked inside of KFC. Then she grabbed me and said the hispanic man by the window was standing behind her at the register and was parked next to her at the walmart parking lot. Feeling nonchalant, we walked up to the guy and asked about her phone. He recognized my sister and said that he tried to run after my sister and give her the phone but she left too quick. He instead gave it to the clerk at the lost and found department. We told him they don't have the phone. Realizing the taxi guy is lying, I reached for my phone and said out loud that I'm calling police because our tracker led us to this location. And its no coincidence that you happen to be the same guy at walmart behind my sister. The taxi guy, recanted his claim and said his phone is inside the taxi cab, we should watch his food while he get it.

I should have ate some of his food. But we got the phone and left. It was crazy. Sorry if my long true story did not entertain you, but I had to share it. Download and install lookout mobile, it actually works.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jayman350

Reaction score
wow good job by you guys. I had lookout on my D1 when it first came out, but I uninstalled it b/c it was a huge resource hog. I might look into it now that I have the Bionic and should be much less of performance hit on this beast.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I like these stories. People are too cheap to work for their own good, and steal from everyone. You should've called the police anyway.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Wow..good job making an unknown guy who stole a phone that costs 100$ to replace look bad. Im sure noone put in his position would ever dream of fighting when placed into a fight or flight situation like you put him in. And we all know taxicab drivers NEVER carry weapons in their cabs that you let him go back to. You should have called the cops or paid the 100 for a new phone and not put your sister into a bad situation trying to play hero.

You got lucky this time...

Sent from my DROID X while driving.....thankyou tapatalk

OP
C

cp2dec1

Reaction score
I never really took a second to grasp what we were doing. Maybe if I did I would've called police. But then again I felt comfortable knowing we were inside a restaurant full of people. Otherwise, you were right to call police or pay the replacement fee.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Meh, I've seen quite a number of posts where people go to someone else's home to confront them about a stolen phone. Doing it in a restaurant isn't the most dangerous of situations by any means. The odds of getting blown away by some random cab driver in front of a restaurant full of people are pretty low. Glad you got the phone back.

TyrantII

Reaction score
Wow..good job making an unknown guy who stole a phone that costs 100$ to replace look bad. Im sure noone put in his position would ever dream of fighting when placed into a fight or flight situation like you put him in. And we all know taxicab drivers NEVER carry weapons in their cabs that you let him go back to. You should have called the cops or paid the 100 for a new phone and not put your sister into a bad situation trying to play hero.

You got lucky this time...

Some people aren't anti-social or soil their pants with any small amount of confrontation.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
theres a difference in backing down and putting yourself in a bad situation.... and being in a crowd may curtail a stabbing or shooting....but doesnt prevent this guy (and/or his sister that he brought with him) from getting an buttwhipping.

Oowoon

Reaction score
How is that a bad situation? Do you really, honest to god think someone would get beat up in a public place over a 100 dollar phone?

That's just simply unrealistic. Props to the guy and his sister for getting the phone back.

Sent from Apex'd GB Droid 2

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
How is that a bad situation? Do you really, honest to god think someone would get beat up in a public place over a 100 dollar phone?

That's just simply unrealistic. Props to the guy and his sister for getting the phone back.

Sent from Apex'd GB Droid 2
Yes...never underestimate what a badguy will do or how they willl react when confronted.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Again, meh. If he had waited and the cops had decided not to pursue it her phone could have been powered off by the time they decided to do anything about it. They got it back, bad guy lost and maybe learned a lesson without having to go to jail, cops didn't have to waste an hour filing a report, tax payers saved hundreds in court costs. Looks like a victory all-around.

Graymayre

Reaction score
Back to the topic original.
I wont have another phone without Lookout,
Or mobileme for my wife's iPhone 4.
She left her phone in a public bathroom and we went to a computer to lock it and make it ring out, and we heard it from the managers office.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok folks, unnecessary posts. Warning number one.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Again, meh. If he had waited and the cops had decided not to pursue it her phone could have been powered off by the time they decided to do anything about it. They got it back, bad guy lost and maybe learned a lesson without having to go to jail, cops didn't have to waste an hour filing a report, tax payers saved hundreds in court costs. Looks like a victory all-around.

Agreed...but only because he got lucky....
Reasons like this is why you have insurance and pay attention to getting all your crap ot of a cab

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Back to the topic original.
I wont have another phone without Lookout,
Or mobileme for my wife's iPhone 4.
She left her phone in a public bathroom and we went to a computer to lock it and make it ring out, and we heard it from the managers office.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

So it was turned into the manager like it was supposed to be, and the manager held it for you like he should and for his trouble, your phone goes off annoying them to the point i bet they never do it again.