Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They changed the icon in the notification bar too. White circle with a black music note. Not sure how I feel about that. Definitely not as ugly as the new app icon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kind of on subject but is this icon redesigned or have I just lost my mind?

fc1015cfd404ba65017668bba3ac788a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
That is supposed to signify that you've got more than 1 unread. It changed with a gmail update a few updates back. I get it with even 1 unread since I import Comcast into gmail as well, the gmail showing what you have there, Comcast showing like the old one no matter the number of unread. I kinda like that it shows up like that since Comcast is used just for coupons and other non essential stuff.
Edit. Finally remembered to take a screenshot of having more than 1 gmail and a Comcast one imported to gmail
7a497d52f77f0352191f937463eeb1a0.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well, I guess I am fully assimilated into the Borg. Didn't want to update Play Music; but the update before this one really dorked up streaming Stations for me. I am hoping that this update, with the ugly icon, works better when listening to Play Music Stations.

9da7607b2ad8abcaee16718e8fa4711c.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

alfredwinston

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy
This redesign is visually appealing, and helps recognize they are all part of Google Play franchise. Sources said these updated icons will be rolled out across all devices very soon..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the forum @alfredwinston. They are definitely rolling out to a lot of people, as shown by all the previous posts from last week. Like them or not...they are here!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, I'm still not sold on them. They all have Play as the first word in the name. I know they're all part of the franchise. I think this design idea was ill-conceived. I'm not saying I think they couldn't have come up with something more unified that was more visually appealing, but I don't find these to be pleasant to look at.

This feels like an idea that should've been tried years ago, when they first launched all of these "Play" apps. Like something they should've moved on from by now instead of something they're just now trying to implement.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm still not sold on them. They all have Play as the first word in the name. I know they're all part of the franchise. I think this design idea was ill-conceived. I'm not saying I think they couldn't have come up with something more unified that was more visually appealing, but I don't find these to be pleasant to look at.

This feels like an idea that should've been tried years ago, when they first launched all of these "Play" apps. Like something they should've moved on from by now instead of something they're just now trying to implement.
Reminds me of their ads. "What were they thinking with that one?"

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Reminds me of their ads. "What were they thinking with that one?"

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Yeah. I just don't get it. Apple doesn't make all of their app icons look the same, AFAIK. No idea where this idea came from, but to me, it honestly looks kinda tacky. Maybe they'll grow on me, but I stand by my comment that they should've spent more time on the design if they really felt like they HAD to do this.