Unhappy with X2...what should I do?

Pork

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a newb here but not really to android.

I have had my X2 around a year and a half, and have about until next August until my contract ends.

However I have been becoming more and more disappointed with my phone. The battery will only last about an hour (I know it's the battery) and Verizon, nor motorola will cover a new one (even though my warranty, etc is still good!). I know I may sound picky but for what I paid for my phone and the warranty I would expect more. Also, Motorola has abandoned this phone which has disappointed me. I am wondering if I should just get my self a new phone from craigslist for christmas, or if I should just get a new battery and wait it out until my contract ends. If I were to get a new phone I'd be looking at the Samsung GS3, which I've seen for $350+ on CL. Just weighing in my options, thanks in advance.

Cheers!

ktklein72

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat as you. My early out/refresh is late Feb but my contract isn't up until late June. We have an unlim data family plan so we're not sure what we're doing next since my wife is content with her HTC Incredible 2. In any event, I had serious battery problems so I found on Amazon a 2pk of extended batteries (no extended back battery door required) and a wall charger with usb port, all for $20. My X2 runs Eclipse but I've been thinking of trying CM 7.2 just to try a change. If you're not rooted, you might want to read up on it and play around with the Eclipse and CyanogenMod ROMs and just bide your time until your contract is up. I'm gun-ho about the Galaxy S3 and GNote2 but by the time I can do anything the new Galaxy S4 and HTC M7 phones will be right around the corner. Outside of installing a new ROM, I also use Holo Launcher and Holo Locker and they have made the phone much more bearable. Eclipse ROM is near perfect, but GPS is buggy, so if you rely on that or need to use it frequently, you might want to try the CyanogenMod 7.2 ROM instead.

UPDATE: Here's the link to the batteries I am using - they work great!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OSUATI/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

Last edited:
OP
P

Pork

Reaction score
Thanks ktklein. Did you buy the 2 pack batteries+wall charger together? Or were they all separate items. If in a pack, could you link it to me? And I have been running CM7 for a while, I went to cm10 which got me ICS but the battery life was too bad. I thought it was the ROM but turns out it is my battery. If I can find the same deal you did then I will just pick that up and wait for my contract to end. Thanks.

ktklein72

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

It was a combo pack of two batts and the wall charger. These batts have about 20-30% more juice than the standard batt does too. My case is a PITA to remove, so I've only used the first batt so far and leave the other one sitting fully charged in case I ever need it. The link above is to Amazon.

What noteworthy issues are there on the CM10 ROM? I was going to stick with CM7.2 because I heard it is a near-perfect build.

OP
P

Pork

Reaction score
Only thing that even gave me little problems were camera and wifi. Not sure if the camera is that poor on all X2 Roms but it just doesn't seem to take very good pictures. Wifi I messed up with my install so it dropped it often, but was easily fixed. Maps sometimes froze up, requiring to close out and restart it. I didn't use my phone for audio, so I can't comment on that but everything else worked great.

There might be other problems people reported, and I may have experienced them not knowing so but other then that it was stable enough for day to day use.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

It was a combo pack of two batts and the wall charger. These batts have about 20-30% more juice than the standard batt does too. My case is a PITA to remove, so I've only used the first batt so far and leave the other one sitting fully charged in case I ever need it. The link above is to Amazon.

What noteworthy issues are there on the CM10 ROM? I was going to stick with CM7.2 because I heard it is a near-perfect build.

Cm10 has many bugs but its awesome. Apps like Facebook, gmail etc will force close because the X2 is locked and you are working on a GB kernel. Camcorder doesn't work, you can download video cam illusion for an working one though along with other small bugs. CM7 or Eclipse are your best bets with everything working.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

ktklein72

Reaction score
If Nitro could just replace the GPS module or tell me how to insert the stock files I'd probably stay put on Eclipse for the remainder of my time on this phone. Oh well some time in the next few weeks I'll SBF back to 2.3.4 and try CM7.2.

Sent from my Eclipsed DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2.4.7

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
There is also a new JB AOKP port. It has just as many bugs as CM10 but its worth looking at once. I enjoyed it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2