Unhappy with the texting ergos

pudah

Reaction score
The more you use the QWERTY the more your opinion on it should change. It gets easier as you learn and adapt to it, and I swear the keys get 'worn in' and work better with a more tactile feel over time. The cursor thing does stink and I hope it is corrected in an update eventually.

dmo580

Reaction score
Forget Better Keyboard. Go straight for HTC's IME Keyboard on XDA-Developers. If you feel the need to jump to Swype, it's a totally different ballgame.

I came from T9, and I was a heavy iPod touch user. The lack of multitouch on a soft keyboard is a huge disappointment. Now I get why people love hard keyboards. The iPhone keyboard is still... perfect. Multitouch + nice keys + good correction/suggestion. HTC comes close, but if they could get the multitouch on the Droid, I would be amazed.

OP
N

N10S

Reaction score
Based on the feedback in this thread I double-checked and still no cursor on either keyboard. I ended-up disabling the Android keyboard and checked again and the hardware keyboard cursor was working. I re-enabled the Android keyboard again and now both keyboard are now working with visual cursor for the first time since I got the phone 7days ago. This glitch really bad me hating the phone and now I can actually begin to learn how to finally
use it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it was helpful in allowing me to identify and resolve one of my major gripes with the phone.

OP
N

N10S

Reaction score
Based on the feedback in this thread I double-checked and still no cursor on either keyboard. I ended-up disabling the Android keyboard and checked again and the hardware keyboard cursor was working. I re-enabled the Android keyboard again and now both keyboard are now working with visual cursor for the first time since I got the phone 7days ago. This glitch really bad me hating the phone and now I can actually begin to learn how to finally
use it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it was helpful in allowing me to identify and resolve one of my major gripes with the phone.

PridgNYC

Reaction score
Glad you found the cursor, I was gonna tell you to get your eyes checked. :)

Technoman

Reaction score
If you want to learn to really type fast, find the thread in here that has SWYPE. It is a kick butt soft keyboard. I have a BB Curve that I use for work, and I would throw it away and use my Droid exclusively if I could.

I can type 3 times faster on my Droid with SWYPE than I can on that tiny pain in the butt keyboard on the Curve. Additionally, I can access things much faster via the APP's from my Droid.

I therefore am forced to carry 2 devices, so that I can receive business calls (use way over 1500 mins a month), manage business email, business systems texting, escalations via browser and email. But when it comes to really enjoying a device my Droid wins hands down!!!

Reaction score
no swype user could ever type faster or more precise than I can on the hardware keyboard guaranteed. i'd put money on it...

people are little girls about the keyboard, and i laugh at them.

OP
N

N10S

Reaction score
Well $@#*!, my hardware keyboard lost its cursor again! :mad: The soft keyboard cursor is still there, but not when using the hardware keyboard. Grrr... anyone else ever have this happen?

silvere2

Reaction score
Well $@#*!, my hardware keyboard lost its cursor again! :mad: The soft keyboard cursor is still there, but not when using the hardware keyboard. Grrr... anyone else ever have this happen?

I have never seen that happen, and I'm a huge user of the hardware keyboard. Maybe its time for a replacement droid? I use this phone for business as well and absolutely love it.

As a side note, give the hardware keyboard a try for a solid week, I use it constantly, and I really like it a lot. I can type very. Quickly with it. I've never had a phone with a hardware keyboard before, but I use the tips of my thumbs to type and it works well. Or who knows, maybe I have pointy thumbs (lol).

jdritzer

Reaction score
I was terrible with it when i first started but now i fly on the stock keyboard

OP
N

N10S

Reaction score

I have never seen that happen, and I'm a huge user of the hardware keyboard. Maybe its time for a replacement droid? I use this phone for business as well and absolutely love it.

As a side note, give the hardware keyboard a try for a solid week, I use it constantly, and I really like it a lot. I can type very. Quickly with it. I've never had a phone with a hardware keyboard before, but I use the tips of my thumbs to type and it works well. Or who knows, maybe I have pointy thumbs (lol).

I think if I could keep the cursor visible I would be ok. I did a search and found others that had similar issues. In some cases the people reported that the cursor wouldn't always show on certain websites? My cursor seems to either work or not, and I don't think its related to any specific websites. If so this is one of them! :)

I downloaded SWYPE earlier today. Its weird, but it does work for me. For now thats going to be my approach. Thanks for all the help everyone! :)

Jeff

dmo580

Reaction score
no swype user could ever type faster or more precise than I can on the hardware keyboard guaranteed. i'd put money on it...

people are little girls about the keyboard, and i laugh at them.

well that's cuz without multitouch you're never going to catch up to a hardware keyboard. iphone users can type pretty damn fast. I'm one of them. people complain about the soft keyboard because multitouch and the keys just aren't great.

trust me, i fly on the iphone. the droid hard keyboard is trash. i'm getting used to the soft keyboard, but i doubt itll ever surpass my iphone typing. =[ unless we get multitouch of course....

loop4zil

Reaction score
You made the right move with swype. I can fly on it. The beta is a big improvement over the leaked version. Took me about a week of use...now it is second nature. Great on portrait mode. Try to swype big words like...uncharacteristically...yes I just swyped that word...I am a swype ninja.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Start using the standard onscreen keyboard, it may feel strange now, but when you get used to it, you'll be able to type at incredible speeds.

Trust me, the first night I got the droid I asked my younger brother if I'd get used to the onscreen typing and he said, it took me 3 days to get used to it and now I type paragraphs.