Unhappy Storm 1 Owner to Overjoyed Droid Owner

glamazon

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

I'm new here. Here is my story in a nutshell:

I love, love, love my Droid. I had a Storm 1 since when it first came out. It had many shortcomings, first and foremost the fact it was slow and would freeze up a few times every day. I always said, oh, it just needs an OS upgrade and that will all be fixed. Well after waiting a year and upgrading to the 5.0 OS, while it make things like opening my email more snappy, it still froze a few times a day and I would have to pull the battery. The browser, even with the OS upgrade was painfully slow. I feel like I was a beta tester for RIM. That device was never ready for prime time. However, I only blame myself as I chose to buy it. Thank goodness I only do year contracts.

The Droid is an entirely different animal. Everything is super snappy. Since I'm a gmail, google docs., google calendar, etc. fanatic, I just love the integration. Web browsing is super speedy. I can play all my music, as I could on my BB, the camera is not bad, the video is good. Tons of apps. And, the really amazing feature is the integration with google maps. This allows you to do turn by turn directions like a GPS on your Droid, for free. You can also do a Satellite overlay. When we drove home from the Verizon store I turned it on. It was trippy driving into our driveway and seeing a pix of our house on the phone. The turn by turn directions have been really good so far.

Also some handy apps. for school (paralegal studies) like the Constitution (which I need for class), Federal Rules of Evidence and Civil Procedure. I'm also sure that I could use the browser to log into Westlaw if I needed to.

I'm also loving, Lock 2.0, Remember the Milk, Dolphin browser (like Firefox), Pandora (which is awesome), 1001 Cocktails,3banana, Advanced Task Killer (a must have), Barcode Scanner, Bart Rider (bart schedule), Bump, Calorie Counter, Google Sky, Gread, Google Listen, My Coupons, Amazon, Flixster, Photoshop, Where, Where Did We Park. I could go on.

This phone does everything I need it to do and more. I also love how easy it is to take pix (which I did not used to do, but with my little 10 month old dude I've turned into a momirazi) and easily upload to Facebook, Flicker or email. And take video too!

The other plus is by ordering on-line I was able to get an instant rebate so the phone only cost $225 (that is with a $100 rebate, which would have made it $335) and that is with a one year contract. Phones change so fast now we only do one year contracts. Oh, and I sold my Storm on gazelle.com for $103, which I'm going to use to pay off my phone, so it really only cost me about $125. I will be happy for a long time with this phone and for the first time I don't have iPhone envy!!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
glamazon welcome to droidforums......your story is very common : )

Glad you found a device that exceeded your expectations.

Enjoy the great forum.....

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
glamazon, your story is much the same as mine. I too was an unhappy Storm user. With OS 5.0.0.328, I didn't have freezing problems; and actually went up to a week between reboots; however, the continually slow browsing experience is what killed the Storm for me. That, and the failed (IMHO) attempt at bringing "click" selection to the touch screen. To me, the need to "click", while it sounds good on paper; ultimately breaks the whole touch screen experience (and causes undue stress on one's thumbs). The "touch to select, touch and hold to 'right click'" thing that the Droid does works really well. And the browser is top-notch. Add to that the lack of a need to reboot (and the ability to simply hold L. Shift+L. Ctrl+Delete to reboot if one wishes to) and I am one happy camper.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Welcome aboard...

The Droid has smoked any BB that I've had.

BillTheCat

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Glamazon. There are legions of Storm refugees here, including myself. At first I didn't mind the clickscreen on the Storm, but I grew to hate it, as it seemed to lack sensitivity. I felt like I needed a ball peen hammer to make my point sometimes. And yeah, that browser was miserable.

The one thing the Storm did better than the Droid, was e-mail/IM's. Droid is good for Google based services, but not so much for others.

That said, it's so fast, so easy to use, and so freakin' slick that I don't care about that one shortcoming.

OP
glamazon

glamazon

Reaction score
Thank for the warm welcome everyone!

I have a quick question. Does anyone know if there are any Android 2.0 books in the works for users not developers?

I really love the forums and is where I'm learning as much as I can about the phone and the OS. With that being said I also like to have a manual to refer to. I know there isn't one that comes with the phone, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any third party books in the works in regards to Android 2.0. I consider myself a techie girl (I work in the tech industry) and feel like I have a good grasp on all the basic of the phone. However with it being such a powerful system I'm sure there is a lot that I'm not yet taking advantage of.

Thanks!!

Last edited: