Unfortunately

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by AceDROID, Nov 4, 2010.

1. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have installed 4.9 since Monday, and didn't do the wipe (coming from 4.8).. I have installed 3-5 times now without wiping, and Chevy Tools are STILL not there, though I can browse to the apk in root explorer, but trying to install fails out. It's not in my app drawer.. I can't figure it out, and I kinda don't want to wipe if I don't have to. I've even redownloaded the ROM and installed, and still nothing. Any ideas other than wiping? =\

2. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Did you clear defaults for chevyno1tools?

Sent from somewhere...

3. bishop

bishop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem and resolved it with a wipe during a third attempt. I havent had time to figure out why though. I know their is an issue with the scripts if you have a custom boot animation without using Chevys tools and i am wondering if that is why i had problems, i was using the R2D2 animation. When i did the wipes it removed that and put the new SS animation in place. Then i was able to restore my R2 animation thrugh his tools and placing the zip file in the proper place since the tools finally showed up.

4. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure what you mean, because ChevyNo1tools isn't even installed, it's not coming up anywhere..

I didn't have a custom boot animation, so I doubt that would be the case. Looks like wiping is the only way I can go about fixing this issue. Unless someone else has an idea? If not, I guess wiping is my only option.

5. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Try this:

Copy the apk to /system/app, WHILE running logcat - it will tell you what is wrong when it tries to install ...

6. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Wait, where should it be then? Because chevytools IS in /system/app... I tried moving it to /data/app and tried installing it, but keep getting "application not installed"...

I'll try the logcat thing and post back my findings.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

7. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah.. its saying something about something not being signed or users don't match..? I can't copy/paste on my phone so I'll post the exact phrase when I get home, since I don't have a .txt viewer/editor and all my .txt files open in HTML viewer.

8. ptoronto

ptoronto New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe I'm having the same issue. I was only able to get ChevyTools in my app drawer after a full wipe. I didn't want to wipe so I restored my backup of 4.8.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I wiped... went from 90% battery life to 60% after redoing it all and redoing some stuff, restoring apps and such.. it was a pain but I have it now. I would much rather have updated and wiped to get the tools rather than figure out what was going on. I came from bugless to ss no wipe and was fine, but 4.8 to 4.9 just didn't want to cooperate.

Using ulv 1.1ghz kernel too.. hopefully battery life improves after a full charge again. I charged it overnight, took it off the plug about 5:30am, and its not even three hours out and I'm down 40%... hopefully that's just the effect of the restoring/reinstalling stuffs.

10. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    OK - pretty sure I know why ... my app 'ties in' to the system in terms of appropriate permissions to call system-level stuff (ie PROPER reboot). Since you have not wiped - the permissions are not lining up ... and I am not sure there is any way around this other than to wipe. OR for me to remove what is causing the problem - but the issue there is I make calls into framework to change colors, etc. Those would all fail if I do that. So it appears that for at least this release of Tools, you must wipe ... IF you run into this problem.

11. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah.. I just ended up wiping. Was a pain in the butt, but it works now. Glad to see you figured it out, because I sure as hell wouldn't have been able to. haha.

Kudos for your work, Chev! I love this ROM!!